You're a musician - what are you working on now ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mychkine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everybody,

looks like there are many musicians here on SHMF; what are instrument you playing ? what styles have you interests in ? what's your level ? do you need help from SH forum members ?

Post anything you think about your practice of music ! Post photos too !

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Recently I'm mostly playing guitar and singing rock and folk originals and covers in a duo with a sax player/singer in Central NJ and Bucks County.
    We are calling ourselves The Beagles.
    Any bassists/drummers/guitarists/singers who want to try doing something with us, please let me know.

3. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I'm a songwriter and play bass. I release my music projects under the band name The Caulden Road with my friend Christian.

We're currently working on a new EP, but have a few singles released.

davesmoked, Dmann201, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I'm a guitarist and home recordist inspired by one-man-band artist Emitt Rhodes' art of overdubbing. Been interested in the recording of music for about 40 years! Recently been dabbling with iOS Garageband, both with the on-board Smart instruments/midi loops and recording my own short guitar creations. To quote Lynyrd Skynrd's classic title, my work is "nuthin' fancy" but it's fun to create stuff! http://soundcloud.com/rick-hunter-11

5. Mychkine

Good luck in finding musicians; the duo guitar/sax is quite original ! (and nice avatar ! :tiphat:)

6. Mychkine

Cool song Alan, and great production !

Dmann201 and AlanDistro like this.
  7. ElwoodPDowd

ElwoodPDowd Well-Known Member

I'm a singer/songwriter, did quite a lot of touring around the UK, but been quiet the last few years, been concentrating more on DJing and writing.

If anyone is curious, there are recordings here - mendiamler.bandcamp.com "Bring On The Empty Horses" is my favourite in terms of the actual songs, but it's overlong and too damn loud. Don't judge me too harshly on the mastering and recording. Never my strongest suit and I've totally rewritten my philosophy on this since these were recorded - hence why I ended up here!

8. Mychkine

Looks like you're having a great time, Rick ! Is the blue Tele in one of your avatars yours ? need to be posted in the "Guitarists: what guitar(s) do you play? Photos welcome! (part3) "thread !

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Right now I am mostly concentrating on learning how to use Logic Pro. Completely replaced my recording setup a few months ago.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks, it is nothing I would have planned. We have in the past worked with another guitarist, another sax player/singer a drummer, and a bassist - and I have added keys myself. But at this point the two of us are the ones that keep showing up regularly, and we figure the more we get vocal harmonies and arrangements solidified between the two of us, the better it will work out when we add more pieces. Having a great time coming up with sax parts for all my tunes.

Really no point having a drummer bashing away while trying to fine tune vocal harmonies

11. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Just finished mixing down a couple Christmas songs for family and friends. Also working on recording songs for my next CD. Thanks for asking.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

A few of my musical friends and I are jamming to those old Drum Drops LP's (of the late 70's/early 80's). The drummer Dave Crigger kicks butt each and every run through. :cool::thumbsup:

13. RickH

Thanks! The blue Tele's not mine - just a pic taken off the web - but I have a candy apple red one almost as nice-looking.

14. RickH

Thanks for posting this...I need to do a couple of Christmas songs myself.

15. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

They can be a lot of fun. Make good gifts too. I always give them a bit of a twist as opposed to traditional versions.
    I just mixed down "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" last week and I gave that a few twists. I added some complimentary string parts that give it sort of a 1940's flair, and changed a few chords at the end.

16. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I'm finishing up a Christmas type of song myself. Actually it's a 'post-Christmas' song. :) I'm planning on posting a video for it in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll post it here.

I'm a songwriter/singer/whatever and have been doing it for a long time (some of my past stuff is at mercyjames.bandcamp.com ). I currently play bass and sing for a band called The I Want You and we are just mixing our new ep now.

What I could use from forum members is recommendations on getting a new computer to record on. I've been using the same one for almost 13 years now and it's going fast. Looking for a desktop or something that might last a decent amount of time. Also looking for recommendations for new interfaces and software.

Dmann201, eeglug and T'mershi Duween like this.
  17. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I play guitar. Been in a few gigging bands over the years, mostly classic rock type and straight blues. Lately I'm just trying to record a bit. Also toying with the idea of playing out again but like most musicians I have a love/hate thing going with being part of a band.

18. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

rockinlazys, lee59, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  19. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Just finished printing the ep ive been working on for some time.
    Went for the look of a bootleg, printing on cardboard CD sleeves.
    Real basic.

20. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I've been a musician/singer/songwriter for a long time, with bouts of productivity and laziness/disinterest. I do Beatles/Bowie/Kinks/Costello-ish material, one-man home studio band style. I've got a couple of albums on bandcamp, the second one completed earlier this year. I've been very productive songwriting-wise and have enough material for 2 more albums. I haven't quite decided if it's all good or not.

I was in a band until recently and am thinking of doing solo gigs.

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Degreed Bassist. I play with a girl who sings like Aretha at the moment, but also write my own stuff on the side. I lean towards stuff with a good groove, but progressive at the same time. I guess it could be progressive funk-rock-jazz. Check it out if you want to. https://soundcloud.com/prankstudios

22. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Really nice to sample the stuff in this thread. Kudos to all of yas.

We self-released our debut (on vinyl) a few months ago and are pleasantly surprised to be outta the hole. We've only been able to gig regionally for 3-5 days at a time (because of our big-people jobs). I haven't had this much fun playing in a while, but I'm glad I don't have to pay bills doing it.

Riffy rock-and-roll with dumb punk elements (Replacements, Descendants, etc):

motelglory.bandcamp.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Motel-Glory/158389563084

23. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

A bunch of random thoughts:

PC or Mac? Or are you flexible between them? Solo recordings or recording more than multiple sound sources? You'll need a good interface with multiple inputs for the latter. Want to use virtual instruments or effects? Depending on how computationally intensive they are, a more powerful processor and/or RAM would be helpful. Otherwise most computers these days have enough firepower for basic audio recording.

Interfaces: I'm not sure what's going on with internal soundcards these days - eg. the kind you stick directly on your motherboard. (I used to use one of those but that was 5 years ago - now I'm a laptop guy.) For outboard audio interfaces, RME seems to be a company many like but they're a little out of my super-low budget reach. You'll want to get a USB3 interface or if on the Mac, Thunderbolt interface. Computer hardware seems to be slow to embrace USB3 for whatever reason. There aren't many USB3 audio interfaces yet but we'll get there eventually. (I'd stay away from older tech like USB2 or firewire unless you have a very compelling reason to go that way.)

Software: that's really a personal choice. Everyone has their preferences and internet msg boards are filled with hate speech for software that people don't like. Protools seems to be everywhere especially among pro studios but keep in mind that you need an audio interface that Protools likes. I use Reaper. It's cheap and pretty user friendly to me. I'm sure I'd be relatively content to use Cubase or Sonar or Logic or Audition etc. They all do the same thing and it's just the finicky details that differentiate them for one another.

ampmods likes this.
  24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Awesome. Thanks. I've heard good things about Reaper too.

It's funny... when I bought my computer 13 years ago, home audio recording had just reached the point where it wasn't super-problematic as it had been. And my computer was fairly high powered for the time. But now it seems everything is. Then again most operating systems seem to require more power/memory anyway. So... it still makes it a bit confusing.

I don't want to spend a fortune. I mostly want something that will last and give me minimal problems. I mostly would record by myself. But it would be nice to have 4 inputs. I currently have 2 ins/outs through a PCI card (M-Audio) and I use Sonar 2.0.

I'm thinking of visiting the Micro Center and seeing if they can steer me to a decent option. Probably PC though. Macs are cool... but a bit out of my league as far as price. I also plan to use the computer only for recording and maybe some video editing/etc. No web surfing/etc.

rock on!

25. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm working on my Ace Frehley licks. He's one of my biggest influences.