You're a musician - what are you working on now ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mychkine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I work at my own pace now, I just left a band that was a long term project and have been playing live so much that I haven't recorded much for a while. I just redid my studio and I am starting to lay down tracks again, but I am in no hurry to accomplish anything in particular.
    I am going to start playing with a couple of bands on a limited basis, but it will not be an every week thing like it has been for the past few years. Both are comprised of musicians I have worked with on and off for years and we will not need to brush up on much material.
    But I want to be in the studio some, I love composing and producing, but when I play out a few nights a week with all the travel and like that I just don't feel like recording.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm a drummer/producer. I play in a Beatles cover band that won the Fest 5 times(we quit after that), and now are working on a promotional video, which is almost done. I am glad, because it has been a bear to produce. We also have a lucrative New Year's Eve gig(hooray!). The band was just approached by a national artist to back him up on a track of his, but I won't mention a name because it's far from a done deal.

I have another danceable rock project that has already booked a summer 2014 gig, which always feels good.

Even better, I have been fortunate to get out and play charity gigs to raise money for causes like Parkinson's.

As for original stuff, like many here I have various studio projects in various states of development(translation: we ran out of money). It's a shame, because some of it is the best stuff I ever worked on, just compellingly good. But sadly there is no way to make even dollar one from any of the original stuff, so it remains a back-burner labor of love.

Dan

SuntoryTime and JulesDassin like this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Thanks, man! I did Womanizer because my better half liked the song, and I wanted to see if I could make myself like the song too. The only way was to make a new backing track for it with the a capella vocals from the original. I combined a Manic Depression type drum groove with crazy prog rock (a la Yes) instrumentation.

4. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Great stuff around here! Glad to see several players keeping their activities going even when "real life" gets in the way.

I'm a drummer/producer in the NY/NJ area. I play a fair amount of cover gigs and some original shows, but my heart is in studio work. My current labor of love is my first (and likely last) all-analog LP. It's a collaboration with several local artists with whom I've had the pleasure to work, some veterans and some novices. Most of the players have never worked on professional analog tape before, let alone had their music pressed on vinyl. For curious minds the link is in my signature-

polchik, Mike Visco and Dmann201 like this.
  5. captone

captone Forum Resident

eeglug and Dmann201 like this.
  6. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Nothing. I don't play anymore. I look at my guitars and I wonder what to do with them. Maybe I'll sell them. I'll keep one because my son could be interested in the future. Sometimes i put on a record and try to play along something but I suck big time. Maybe I did choose the wrong instrument. I should have played only the door bell.

Joe071 and 1970 like this.
  7. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I'm currently drumming and writing in my original hard rock/metal band Circle 7. Kind of a mix between Alice in Chains, Metallica, Tool and Stained!

We released and I produced our debut album "In Between" last summer and have been getting some local radio play and a good response to the tunes in Europe. Feel free to check some of the record out:
    Http://www.soundcloud.com/circle7band

8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I sing in a post-punk/new wave inspired rock band. We just released our first EP. This is the single from it:

9. cuff

cuff Forum Resident

Working on our second album.
    Here's the first completed track:

10. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Still giving away free CDs to good homes. There's a thread here in the classifieds. Send me a PM. :)

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Trying out a drummer tonight who also knows a bassist who could be interested in working with us :)

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Here is that "post-holiday" song I was working on. Happy holidays (or post holidays or whatever!).

Mike Visco likes this.
  13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I'm in a psych-rock, Chicago-based band called Soft Speaker. We just put out an EP with a remix by Cian Ciaran from Super Furry Animals and a remix by The Warmth. Download it for free or stream it here:

https://softspeaker.bandcamp.com/

rockinlazys and ampmods like this.
  14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Some info on the tracks above: we record at a studio in Chicago called Minbal. Basic tracks are put down on 2" tape. Most overdubs are done in ProTools.

15. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Working on some James Taylor & Jim Croce material to add to my set list

16. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I didn't know about this thread.
    Here's my debut song, released two years ago :

Mike Visco and GuildX700 like this.
  17. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I've been mostly a solo artist but I've put together a new internet band, we're going to be working on some old songs I've been saving for when I find a good drummer because I've found one.

Here's one of my recent videos.

Mike Visco likes this.
  18. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

19. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

Last year I toured as a guest (backing vocals plus occasional leads plus acoustic guitar) with an alternative rock band from my country. They were quite big in Poland in the early 90s, now quite niche, sadly. They are working on a new album at the moment, I might be asked to add some harmonies in the final stages.

In my free time I record my music (psychedelic folk i think the genre would be) at home, but it's so lo-fi that I wouldn't dare share it on this forum ;) Miraculously, there are some er minor fans, though. :)

20. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm working on preserving cassette tapes of my earliest stuff from 1975 and on. crude overdub using multiple tape players. No multitrac used.

But listening to them now, decades later they have a charm I can't deny. I have to get them onto a more stable medium before they are lost forever. They mean more to me than ever, as crude as they are. And some even sound pretty astounding all things considered. Kids and their music tapes, what a classic era now gone.

DRM likes this.
  22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, to saving and preserving those treasured analog cassette tapes...as "crude" as they are. I think analog cassette tape mixes and analog cassette recordings will resurface soon enough as the best way to hear analog music.

23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I make very experimental electronic music. It started 13 years ago with recording on cassette tape and grew from there. I recently deleted all of the "music" I had posted via Tumblr and Soundcloud...for various reasons.

It's an ongoing learning process...but I seem to be getting better at creating, mixing, and recording sounds.

I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go.

24. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

25. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

anyone have some good acoustic guitar music (non classical) to recommend working on?