You're a musician - what are you working on now ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mychkine, Nov 21, 2013.

1. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Love this!

Veech likes this.
  2. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Trying to polish off a bunch of old stuff.
    Trying to rehearse three new songs so I can play 'em well enough to begin recording them.

4. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I opened a ghetto recording studio in January. Currently working on demos for my reconstituted fake reggae 'n ska band from the '80's, some great singer/songwriter stuff by a guy named Michael McGarrah(his excellent, well-recorded first CD is here http://www.michaelmcgarrah.com/index.php/the-music), another female singer/songwriter named Tina Bailey, a cool sort of ambient/world band with a didgeridoo, and a CD of old stuff I've recorded through the years by Scotty Spenner, a great local blues guitar player and singer. Jeez I must be busy.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm currently rehearsing my new song, "The Ventriloquist," about a teenage guitarist who gets so caught up in music theory, scales, and chord voicings, it drives him crazy.

A crowd gathers around him in the high school cafeteria as he plays his soul out.

7. djork

djork Forum Resident

I play guitar, bass, synths, and very limited keys in a project i have with a friend called Click Click Fire. The style is indie rock type of stuff with some modern psych, funk, jazz and electronic influences thrown in the mix. I am currently having some of my songs remixed by someone who knows what they are doing, but you can hear the rougher demo mixes here:

https://soundcloud.com/clickclickfire

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  8. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Gig tonight with my rock band and lots of recording to do with my country band

9. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Humbuster likes this.
  10. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Currently playing drums in Oozin' Blues. We might do two a gigs a month, out in the country - recording in September. The feels played include straight rock, shuffles, funk and faster stuff like Los Lobos's DON'T WORRY BABY. I'm keeping my hands in - my back may have something to say about it, though. At home, I'm using the Mac we got last year running Logic Pro X. I'd be lucky to understand 2% of how the program works, but I can record and that's enough. I only have a few original tunes, as I want them to be good. After 20 plus years playing real drums, I still don't know how I feel about drum loops, but considering the difficulty in tuning, recording and playing drums in a 'studio acceptable manner' , I suppose I've softened in my dislike for them and have started to utilise them. That and the fact I don't have room (or the mikes) for the drums. Hoping to buy some KRK monitors soon. I wish all musicians the best with their projects - do check out the YouTube channel THE RECORDING REVOLUTION, I find it very helpful. You are invited to send me a private message if you have music without lyrics, as I'd be happy to assist.

11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I quite gigging ( or at least tried to) last fall, but have been getting called up to play anyway. I wanted some time off.
    I have a lot of stuff written to record, but haven't gotten around to it yet, but one particular project is an album that is an entire concept.
    I intend to get my grandaughter to do the vocals, she has already agreed to try it out.
    I play all the instruments myself and engineer it, so it takes me a long time to complete something.
    I am also currently keeping my eyes open for a DM5 drum module, because I am sick of miking drums and want to use an electronic kit. MUCH less hassle. I want a DM 5 because it has aux outputs as well as an extra input and the individual drums are pannable.

12. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I play guitar, bass and drums. I am just now starting to finally get out and play my original music!! I have been writing for about twenty years now and figured it was now or never!! Here are some rough demos of my stuff and some covers! Here is my youtube channel
    https://m.youtube.com/user/MrDumbangel9

Here is my Facebook page if you're inclined to give it a like!!

https://m.facebook.com/AllenSosaRocks

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My group The Beagles has taken that big leap forward into the Facebook age, creating our first Internet presence.

People kept looking at me like I was from another planet when I offered to email them mp3s or send them demo cds rather than referring them to a web page, so I had to take the plunge. Still no audio linked to it yet (that is my next project), but here are the fruits of my staying up til 1:30 am last night getting over my Luddite tendencies:

http://www.facebook.com/RobFreemanTheBeagles

We are off to a good start with 26 "likes" in 10 hours. If anyone else wants to get in on the ground floor and "like" us now, you will have bragging rights once we are the biggest thing since overhopped IPAs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I'm frustratedly between projects.
    Haven't even had a drum-set set-up at home in well over a year, so if I wanna play, it's gotta be on my 4-year-old son's micro-kit, like this:

pantofis and hkm3 like this.
  15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Planning to writing songs again one day. The last thing I did was recording a version of Syd Barrett's "Opel" two years ago.

16. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I'm half of the dark, cabaret-ish duo Dreamchild. That would be us in my avatar, taken early in 2013. More current photos on the FB pages. We have a website, www.dreamchildmusic.com with some music available for your listening pleasure, soon to be updated with newer songs. We also have a FaceBook page, which is linked on our website. There are a few live performances there and more to come. I play processed electric guitar (I run my guitars through a Roland VG8 and VG99 and use two looping devices) and my wife, is the vocalist, whoo also loops her vocals, so there are lots of her on stage, and she plays electric bass and wire-strung harp. Some of the covers we're done in the past include Peter Gabriel's "Here Comes The Flood", Bauhaus's "Bela Lugosi's Dead", Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" (hey, she's not doing these days, so it's fair game!), Nico's "Janitor of Lunacy" and Beatles "can You Take Me Back". That porbably gives you some vague idea of what we might be about.

We're currently finishing up our 5th CD, Le Cabaret de l'Infer. We just recorded drums for the last track yesterday and finished the overdubs on it. Mixing will be this week. Then it's sequencing the songs and off to mastering. We also just finished a lovely video which will be debuted at our next gig, on September 23rd at the Lilypad in Cambridge, MA (for all of you curious folks in the greater Boston area) where we're playing with the Italian band The Spiritual Bat who are on a two month tour of North America at the moment. We're looking in to the technological issues involved in including the video on the CD, so , assuming that is doable, it'll be a nice bonus feature. And then we have to get more gigs!

I'll get around to checking all of the above musical ventures as well, and will like them as I go. Feel free to like our page on FaceBook as well. Being an eccentric, original band of an older than club kids age, we could stand with lots more likes!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Nice and congratulations on the upcoming CD! After that's done, you'll have time to scour the upcoming Starless box for future musical ideas :)

Front 242 Addict and MoonPool like this.
  18. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Thanks! We have talked about a cover of The Nightwatch or Starless, but in a fashion that would work without drums. Sometimes we have 'em, sometimes we don't.

JETman likes this.
  19. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Primarily a bass player (26 years), but I play guitar, some keys and do a lot of programming. Currently writing material with my band Divinity Compromised - see sig. Also about to record bass for an EP of instrumental post-rock/metal for a former bandmate.

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You're welcome. I think "Night Watch", "Exiles" or even "Trio" (with a drummer's 'admirable restraint' ;)) could work really well with your setup!

MoonPool likes this.
  21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

A video I did for my band (The I Want You) for a song called "Driftin'."

rockinlazys likes this.
  22. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I have finished my new album last month. Recorded at the weekends/after work etc. Recorded everything in true stereo with two mics. No reverb, mostly no EQ, some software compressors only. Heavy layering. And plenty of good old mic placement fun at home.
    Goofy songs, friends tell me...
    You can listen to it or download (incl. lossles 24bit) for free :)

https://pantofis.bandcamp.com/album/pantofis-being-pantofis

rockinlazys likes this.
  23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

We just released a charity single to benefit Crash Safely: Benefit for the National MS Society . Please if you like to hear indie type stuff, give it a spin and see if you like it. If you do, consider throwing a buck at it. I will make no money off of this or anything so hopefully posting this is ok. We recorded it one day in June at the studio that was apparently Morphine's old space in Somerville, MA. Even if you can't pay for it, give it a listen. I think it came out pretty cool. Rock!

https://theiwantyou.bandcamp.com/track/blame-it-on-tomorrow

24. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Some press about it...
    http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/09/04...-listen-new-single-attend-years-crash-safety/
    "...a nice little Split Enz-meets-Pixies-meets-the-Cars kind of vibe"

http://www.crashsafely.org/?p=1291
    "Even more of a reason to love them? They’re new single! Produced by fellow Crash Safely participant Pete Weiss, they’ve decided to donate all money that comes in through Christmas 2014 for the single to Crash Safely! Pay what you want for your copy and it will all go to help patients with MS and support research to help end MS, too."

25. StephMess78

StephMess78 Forum Resident

My "project" (my baby) is called Union General, we're from Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada. We're doing power pop rock melodic music. Our second album is ready! We're waiting for mastering and it should be out in late October!! Here's two preview Hello again and Get out of your room.