youtube clip of Ringo interviewed by Barbara Walters

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently stumbled across a youtube clip of Barbara Walters interviewing Ringo Starr.

I'm not certain of the year, but my guess is it was probably around 1981 - because Ringo looked kind of young in the clip (not Beatle young - but much younger than he has lately - even though I would say he looks pretty darn good for his age).

Ms. Walters keeps trying to get Ringo to talk about John's death. Ringo is clearly still very much grief stricken and numb - and is clearly teary eyed in the interview.

I know she has a reputation for getting "emotions" out of her interview subjects - but this interview seems almost downright mean. Ok, she asked him a question - he was clearly hurting - it was time to move on to another subject. But she keeps trying to re-ask the same question over and over.

It was VERY painful to watch. I think at one point Ringo even asks that the camera be turned off - and she seems clueless and says "So... tell me how did it FEEL to lose such a great man..." (after having asked similar questions about 2 or 3 times prior).

Really really low moment in Beatles history.

2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Where is the link?

3. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, I think she was just doing her job. Clearly, Ringo was uncomfortable at one point, but I think Walters coaxed out some good stories and memories out of him, and I think she was reasonably respectful under the circumstances.

I've seen at least two rock stars rip their mikes off and walk out of interviews -- James Taylor and Chuck Berry are two I can think of -- and at least Ringo kept his composure and made his point, and said what he had to say.

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Canada's Muchmusic has aired some clip shows showing interviews that went sideways. Robin Gibb, Lou Reed, Marrianne Faithful and Johnny Lydon have done the same.

6. toptentwist

Watching it again, I'm unclear if they stopped the camera.

Besides the overall level of grief on his face, the part that bugged me is where Ringo says "do you want to stop that now" and the piece rolls on. Watching it again, it might just be how it was edited...

I'd like to think that they did stop the camera and resumed again after an appropriate length of time.

The part where he seemed disappointed with the people outside the Dakota is interesting. I thought he was very correct to say that its fine to listen to his music but his wish that they had done it at home makes sense to me.

Does anyone know how long they were out there ? My guess is they were for a few days - but I'm curious if they just left on their own - or if the police eventually told everyone to go home...

7. toptentwist

Just finally watched one of the related links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IalK5qka2OM&feature=related

Different situation - not as painful to watch - despite his obvious grief.

But the comment by Ringo at the end of this link clearly references back to the other interview.

I highly recommend watching this other link. Gives the Barbara Walters interview some context.

It's possible he was referring to Barbara in general (she does have a reputation for getting guests
    to cry) but the language he used in the other clip was pretty blunt.

I don't think she gets postcards from Ringo and Barbara when they are on vacation.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw most of the news coverage live, and recorded a lot of it off the air in 1980. I haven't had the heart to watch it since. My memory is that it was pretty sad and chaotic, thousands and thousands of people on 72nd Street and in Central Park, carrying signs, holding candles, and playing music on boomboxes.

I think the fans gathered outside the Dakota for a couple of days, then Yoko sent out a press release asking for everyone to have a minute of silence for John, on the Sunday after Lennon's death. The first year or two, people did show up and leave flowers at the Dakota gate on December 8th, but Yoko eventually cooperated with the city to open up 2.5 acres of Central Park, rechristening it as "Strawberry Fields" in Lennon's honor. I think that's where people gather now.

[​IMG]

9. helter

helter Forum Resident

The crowds started on monday night December 8th. The crowds continued until as least sunday December 14th at the Dakota. I don't remember at which point, they moved the people across the street because they were blocking traffic. But it was good week at least. I have all the newspapers still in a bag

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

once I get past BW I enjoyed it...thanks.

11. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.