YouTube HD clips-do they run smoothly for anyone?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel1963, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally got my new widescreen Samsumg monitor, and wanted to watch some high-def YouTube clips. I watched Barack Obama's election night speech from NBC's HD feed, and it looked stunning except for the herky-jerky movements. Do you need ultra-ultra high speed Internet to get it moving smoothly, or is there some other way to improve the quality? (My computer was purchased in 2005, and doesn't have an exceptionally large memory, and is high-speed).

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Smooth as can be. What speed processor do you have? What kind of video card do you have? Make sure the drivers are installed properly.

Guess I won't be sending you any high def video captures from my HDTV tuner card.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Have a feeling I should upgrade sometime soon...

4. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

This is your problem.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Yes.

In the meantime there's two things I can think of that you could try. You could try viewing them "off line" with the browser and everything else possible closed and disabled (including any unneccessary running services etc if you're up to doing that) to see if you can get any appreciable improvement. Or you might have to try converting the video files to a) a format you can view on that PC or b) a DVD and watch them with your standard DVD player/TV.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I was trying to watch a couple clips in HD just today. Instead, I just waited and waited, as the load-bar showed the cursor moving along, and enjoyed a black screen. :sigh:

7. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

there are other things besides hardware.... this stuff should run on low spec processors... hell, i get jerky movement with a 2.4ghz intel quad (its x64 software, sometimes it just sucks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.