YouTube question

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Emilio, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member Thread Starter

How long does it take for a video to be posted on YouTube after you upload it? I uploaded my very first video (not music-related) to YouTube about three hours ago and whenever I check the "My Video" section, it says "Status: Uploaded (processing, please wait)". Yes, but for how long????? Is this delay normal? As usual, the FAQ has plenty of answers except the one I'm looking for! FAQs and troubleshooting lists never have the answers to my issues!

2. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

cant tell you exactly how long, but i can give some insight as to why, over the last few months youtube has been severely restricted over copyright issues and their webmasters or whatever they call them now, have to do some serious checking to see if the video in question has the capability of getting them into trouble.... meaning the video getting yanked by some angry third party who claims ownership of the material. now take what i say with a grain of salt, i have no affiliation with youtube itself, i just know someone and ill leave it at that..... lets just say the info i have could be wrong, but i trust the person who gave me the info, and in my opinion it makes sense. i know a lot of videos that i had been watching for months have been yanked over the last month or so, ymmv....

3. Emilio

Thanks. Incidentally, there may be some copyright issues on the video I uploaded. It's something I taped from TV 20 years ago. But then, just as a test, I uploaded a short collage of old commercials and it went live immediately. Go figure.

4. sotet

sotet New Member

I don't know anyone at Youtube, but I imagine certain keywords may trigger the uploads to go into a pending queue for them to go over before allowing or disallowing posting. I think NBC went after them about copies of the Tonight Show being uploaded, right?

5. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I wonder what percentage of their content is music video? If the studios pulled all that copyrighted content, there would be a big hole, huh? It's actually been a benefit to the podcasts that I work on as we can put links to the files there and not have to host them ourselves. Wonder if we'd be liable if the studios came calling?

6. Emilio

Just for the record, 24 hours later my uploaded video is still "processing, please wait". The uncertainty of the situation is what makes me angry. I tried uploading it again just in case and it was rejected as "duplicate". So, if this is normal, all I will get by deleting it and uploading it again is to be sent back to the beginning of the queue and wait even more. On the other hand, if this is not normal, I may be waiting in vain. But I think I'll try deleting it and uploading it again anyway. I can afford to wait one more day just to check.

7. SuiteMadameBlue

SuiteMadameBlue Rockin' The Paradise

I tried to upload a video and it did the same thing. It's very frustrating, so I gave up but I'm hoping to have patience and try again.

I have a few interviews that I'd love to put on YouTube. They're on DVD, does anyone know how to put those up? Do I need a program? I have no clue!!

8. ChrisG

ChrisG New Member

Verdict?

9. Emilio

I removed my originally uploaded video and uploaded it again, so it wouldn't be rejected as duplicate. 24 hours later (again) it is still "processing, please wait". It seems this is normal. I'll let you know when it goes live. The video itself won't be of interest to you, but it will be good to know how long it takes for future reference.

10. Emilio

Update: my video has finally gone live. It happened overnight, so it takes longer than 24 and less than 32 hours.

11. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Their servers are sometimes kind of slow. Too many people using the site, i guess.

12. Emilio

I uploaded the file again because it was incomplete the first time (not YouTube's fault, though). This time it went live in two hours. Two guesses:

1) The first file you upload takes longer.

2) A file that has never been uploaded before takes longer, as it has to be "cleared".

13. MJM

MJM Forum Resident

I believe NBC damn near owns YT now, or at least has their hand in the pot. I guess they saw it was the "newest, biggest, coolest" site, and of course, they had to be down. Anyhow, in recent months, a ton of stuff that was readily accessible on YT before, has been taken down. So, it's already not what it once was, but you should still be able to find a lot of clips for the foreseeable future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.