Yule Log

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by YCMFord, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YCMFord

YCMFord New Member Thread Starter

Dumb QUestion - is DirecTV showing the Yule Log this year? I'm having a Christmas Party this year and have no fireplace. If not, I gotta run to BlockBuster or something. Thanks!

2. dreamwhip

dreamwhip New Member

3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

For some reason, when I see the words "Yule Log", I think of do-do. :winkgrin:

4. This thread brings back memories of the WPIX yule log.

5. Always had WPIX yule log on Christmas morning for years. My family always made fun of me because I had to have it on as we were exchanging presents. A good memory.

6. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

There's a thread in the Off Topic forum covering a similar topic about DVD versions. If you want a funny version of a Yule Log for your PC then check out Stephen Colbert's book burning yule log on his Christmas DVD. There's a less funny (not as many books), edited version on his web site:

http://www.colbertnation.com/yulelog

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The version on WGN is, I believe, identical to the WPIX one.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Correct.

Not completely sure about Direct TV, but Comcast on Demand showed a different, more modern fireplace last year, not the WPIX version.

9. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Check out the OFFICIAL Yule Log Website for time and stations.. www.theyulelog.com .

10. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

For us So.Ca. folks, Los Angeles station KCAL-TV will broadcast the yule log in HD. Christmas morning 6AM-10AM.

-Steve D.

11. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

We used to get WPIX on our cable system here in Rhode Island many years ago. A great station, and I miss it a lot.

Because of this thread, I went out today and bought a DVD Yule Log - cost me $7.

12. mr_mjb1960

Check out WGN on Xmas Day at 3:00 AM...And,if you can't stay up that day,Tivo or Record it to DVD! It'll last longer that way! (That's what I'm gonna do!:righton:)

13. AndyGeary

AndyGeary Member

I'm not sure what this says about my maturity level, but this made me giggle uncontrollably for 10 minutes. :laugh:

14. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I had a real Yule Log 10 yrs ago
    Its made from tightly compressed hazel twiggs
    3' x1'.
    Stored for a year or so
    We put it on an open fire in an inglenook fireplace
    It caught immedietly and burnt with intense blue flames
    Soon there was a roaring in the chimney like a jet engine
    The sooot was burning off
    The chimney pot was in afterburn mode....... the roof threatened.
    My father in law did not want the firebrigade over Christmas
    They would squirt water everywhere and drink all his whiskey
    My mother in law produced salt and poured it on the log which died back quickly.
    We still drank all the whiskey...

15. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Unfortunately, it appears that WGN will *not* be airing the original incarnation of the Yule Log this year, either on its nationwide superstation (WGN America) or its local Chicagoland feed (Channel 9). Instead they will be showing a completely different version of the program.

http://forum1.aimoo.com/theyulelog/YULE-LOG-COM-NEWS-S/Phone-call-from-WGN-VP-GM-Mart-1-1210944.html

Ironically, Chicago's Tribune Company - which owns WGN - is still planning to air the original Log on numerous other stations it owns around the country (including, naturally, New York's WPIX):

http://forum1.aimoo.com/theyulelog/YULE-LOG-COM-NEWS-S/2008-Yule-Log-Broadcast-Schedu-1-1111742.html

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

A standing offer - if anyone ever visits me and sees a fireplace scene on my tv monitor, please KILL ME NOW!!!!

17. mr_mjb1960

Update..Seems that WGN is NOT going to show "WPIX'S Yule Log" this year! WHY! I OUGHTA...:realmad:

18. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Search yule on Direct and you'll get yours.

21. donmac

donmac Forum Resident

[​IMG]

:confused:

22. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I have it on tape from WPIX-TV when they would simulcast it on WPIX-FM, will have to dig it out...

23. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:hurl::candy::hurlleft:

24. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

That was great. Yule Log on the tv and the stereo music simulcast on the radio.

Obviously in the days before stereo tv. :D

25. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Those with cable, check your on-demand offerings. My provider offers several, including HD and 3D Yule Logs.

The music is rather lame stock/public domain stuff, so it's best to turn down the TV use your own.

For those in the Tampa Bay area, Bay News 9's yule log runs 12/24 from 8pm to 12am (with the usual Bing/Nat/Andy Williams etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.