Z is for Zachariah

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Sep 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure what prompted me to watch this, but it was a better than average post-apocalyptic drama. Margot Robbie reminds me here of the young woman who I first saw in Winter's Bone, who went on to be a big star. (Was that Jennifer Lawrence?) In any case when I saw Robbie in Wolves of Wall St. I didn't think she was much more than eye candy, but here she delivers a performance that reminds me of Winter's Bone- a hillbilly young woman who is strong and alone; the interplay between the men who happen on her farm is what creates the dramatic tension. (I'll leave it at that- this is more drama than sci-fi, as such, but the setting is magnificent, there is some excellent cinematography and there is a good dog in the movie, always a plus). As to the book, which I haven't read, it was apparently finished after the author's death, and the synopsis suggests an entirely different story line from the one that unfolds in the film. If you are into the post apocalypse genre, and some good acting, you won't be wasting your time. I actually liked seeing Ms. Robbie in a non-glamorous role. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Chris Pine play the men, both to good effect. (Dog, didn't check credits, sorry).

alexpop and Juan Matus like this.
  2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Good movie title as well.
    Definitely watchable.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Is this based on the kids' book? There was a television version years ago with, I think, Anthony Andrews. Pretty chilling book, I recall.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Plot wise seems the same. Cept it's not a Adam & Eve story ...as such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.