Zager & Evans 'In The Year 2525' MIXES

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Is anyone aware of or, can recommend any cd or cd single with extended mix(es) of 'In The Year 2525' that is currently commercially available ?

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think there is only one mix available. The original single was issued in stereo, so it would be very surprising if any separate mono mix was prepared.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The one and only released mix (on RCA) is the overdubbed mix with the center channel totally phase shifting throughout the entire song.

The ORIGINAL mix was the version that was "master purchased" by RCA and didn't have the stereo O/D's on it. It's what is in the center channel. I'd sure like to hear it someday.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Was that version -ever- released? I love that song!

5. Steve Hoffman

6. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The 80s synthpop group Visage covered "In the Year 2525." There's probably some extended remixes of their version.

7. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

Was the Zager of Zager and Evans the same guy who had some disco hits in the late 70s?

8. Michael

Nope, but he was a member of "Ten Wheel Drive" till 1973!...

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Someone know about 10 wheel drive!?! Cool, Michael!

Looks like TWO projects for Steve!

10. Michael

I saw them LIVE in 1969/70...FRONT ROW! What a show...Played that LP till it broke back then!. Missed the Cee Dee Reissue though...:( One of my favs!

11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Then you're saying that the original release from 1968--Truth 8082--wasn't mono? I don't have a copy(in my dreams!), but I've seen a photo, and I'd swear the master number suggested mono.

Calling Dr. Tim?:confused: :D

ED:cool:

12. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Me too! :confused: if the original 45 isn't mono! The majors were just starting to do stereo 45s in 1968; it's unlikely that an obscure indie label would have had a stereo 45 that soon.

The RCA 45, of course, was that weird stereo.

According to Pat Downey, "In the Year 2525" varies in length on compilations from 3:11 to 3:17. You don't usually see that wide a range in timing on a song with only one version in existence. Slightly truncated fades, slightly sped-up or slowed-down tapes might cause this, but I don't know if any have slightly more of the song on them than others.

13. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I'm amazed that anyone is still interested in this song. I thought it was great at the time, but then when I got older it just seemed silly.

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

14. Michael

Strong melodies linger on...:thumbsup:

15. Steve Hoffman

I'll say.

Right around this time of year, wasn't it? 1969. My first girlfriend.

16. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

You are correct Sir! I wonder if the DJ 45 was MONO?

Bob:)

17. average Joe

average Joe New Member

That's the reason I still collect those "silly" songs. For a few moments I'm taken back to the good ol' days of my youth.

18. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

stereo 45s

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Re: stereo 45s

Maybe a clarification is in order... In 1959, the labels were doing those stereo singles in addition to their regular mono singles. In 1968, the labels started doing stereo singles instead of the mono singles.

20. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ok....gotcha!!

But all the labels still supplied Radio stations with mono 45s because radio was still mono, AM in particular.

21. Michael

Yup!, June 21st 1969 to be exact...Wonderful year, then the "heavy stuff" started rolling in..The Stooges, Spooky Tooth, Ten Years After, Black Sabbath, etc...:thumbsup:

22. Steve Hoffman

Really, end of June, eh? Funny how the weather can bring back music memories like that. "My Pledge Of Love" was right around the same time, right? Weird how the placement of the sun in the sky and the general quality of light can take me back to a certain time.

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'm getting a little nervous here - 2 pages on this here song - hmmmmmm... Hey boss - howcome do you know about the unfutzed with master? Do you think it still exists? Now I've got that stanky tune going through my head - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............................

24. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

For some folks, their libido is heightened by the increased lumens of light during the summer months thus turning their thoughts to, ah, romance. I think a lot of us have pleasurable memories of Women we have known during the summer months and the music from those 'stimulating' times.

Bob:D

25. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Just to carry on ... I remember this one as a young lad. The Beatles were everywhere but I remember seeing posters "In The Year 2525 Is the Big Hit In the Year 1969". The lyrics evoked the times. Technology was everything (moon landing etc.) and fears of its abuse fueled this song effectively. Now it's been 10,000 years, God has cried a million tears. Everything you think, say and do, some machine is doing it for you. Whoa woh."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.