Zager & Evans 'In The Year 2525' MIXES

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

And the followup single, the dreadful "Mr. Turnkey" was also issued on Truth. I have RCA's of both....my sister still loves "2525" but I didn't like it much then, and time hasn't tempered that opinion....

Thanks to this thread, just pulled out the 7/5/69 issue of Billboard...sucker was #8(#35 the week before, debuted at #72 the week before that--major 'national breakout' as they used to say at the time)and would be #1 the following week(and many more, IIRC),and only a titan like "Honky Tonk Women" could knock that miserable beast out of the top slot....

Just thinking about "2525" makes "My Pledge Of Love" seem like a soul classic, which it wasn't....but likeable enough.

ED:cool:

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I sense an indy mike pick ONE possibility; stinky songs that kept cool tunes from hitting #1 (CCR fans would have a field day)...

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

indy,

Great theme, as always. Tom Jones would give CCR a run for your mojo.

4. Ed Bishop

I feel an ulcer coming on.....:p

Just make a cutoff point, say, nothing after 1979; otherwise, the thread will never end....:eek:

ED:cool: :D

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

To get back to a question that was asked, no, I've never heard the original 45. Did it have the overdubbing on it? Did they do the overdubbing when they released it on RCA? I can't stand the O/D and would love to hear it "straight".

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Another one of life's little sonic mysteries. Since RCA seems to have dumped lots of stuff over the years, I suppose it's long gone...

7. Steve Hoffman

By the way, Indy, I still LOVE that song.

Let the thread continue!

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Guys,

As long as we are talking about the recording, I always thought the sound quality was annoying for 1969. Perhaps it was the out of phase sound Steve spoke of but, to my ears, the track sounds like it was recorded in the hall of a Motel 6 with an overloaded home cassette deck with the compression set at the max. (rant over). I love song though!

Bob:)

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I suppose I've mentioned a few (hell - 100's) of tunes that make folks go ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... I'm ALMOST old enough to remember 2525 on the radio - wasn't it on an orange RCA label with the modern logo???

10. Bob Lovely

Mike,

I was a senior in high school and yes, the Orange RCA label. I remember everybody buzzing about the track at the time.

Bob

11. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's the sound of the basic track after the RCA overdubs. I don't know however if they made it sound that way when they added the O/D's or not. I bet the actual "track" sounds great. RCA must have bumped the master to one track of a four-track tape and then added the extra instrumentation. They could have skewered it at that time.

12. Ed Bishop

Every time I hear that one, I think, well, wait a minute....we assume a lot of stuff is gone but, over the years, amazing what will turn up. On RCA alone rare or previously unheard stereo mixes by the Ames Brothers, Perry Como, Paul Anka, the Limelighters, Jim Reeves, the Browns, Little Peggy March--just to name a few--have surfaced, and there's probably more where that came from.

Once upon a time, I would never have believed I'd live to hear stereo Gary U.S. Bonds, or Monogram Chris Montez, or the Belmonts. But I did. Who knows what else is waiting to be unearthed....

13. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I remember at the time, 'we' thought it was older song that had been re-released because of the sound. Of course, we knew nothing of recording techniques at age 18. Steve, are you saying that the original base multi-track was mixed to MONO, compressed, then bounced back to multi-track when the OD's were added, probably compressed again?

Bob

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Yup, "My Pledge Of Love" June 7th 1969...Sure does, how about a certain fragrance in the air? When I was a child, around the end of June the Linden trees would blossom with a wonderfully pungent scent welcoming the short Summer Vacation :) Music, Light, Weather all play a key role in refreshing our "Soul"...The mind is a wonderful place when you work it the right way. Sometimes, we need to pull up those hidden files, open them up and relax!:thumbsup: :love:

15. Steve Hoffman

Bob,

I'm just saying that I bet the song sounded great BEFORE it got to RCA. They made a "master purchase" of the song and got a tape, probably the "mono" part of the song that you know, in other words the stuff that comes out of the middle in your stereo version. TO ME, that sounds like the complete song BEFORE it was "sweetened". So, if that is what RCA received as a tape, it probably sounded pretty good. Then, the decision was made to enhance it and someone at RCA dubbed that to another tape. When they did the DUB, they smooshed it. It's just a guess.

The only way to find out for sure is to play the ORIGINAL version on the original label which I've never seen or heard.

Anyone have it?

16. Ed Bishop

Just pulling an old issue of Billboard out does that to me every time....not just the charts: you should see the reviews and listings of all the stuff that didn't go anywhere, died a commercial death....staggering, sometimes. The old ads are now priceless, most wishful thinking or made on the real cheap, and look it....for one thing, did you know that "Sugar, Sugar" was issued months before it broke nationally? And Bubbled Under the Hot 100 for quite a few weeks before finally hitting the national list and eventually going to #1, which it took its sweet time to do, very unusual for that era...

17. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Understood! I hope a Forum member has that original label 45...

I can think of one that may, I will send him a link to this thread.

18. Steve Hoffman

Bob, in this above long winded post I meant to say that the stuff you hear in "stereo" on the RCA version was added by RCA to make it a hit, and in doing so they smushed the actual "basic track" in the process. I could be wrong.

19. Bob Lovely

Steve,

This is the way I understood your post, yes! I e-mailed a Forum member who may have the original 45. He is usually on in the early morning - about the time Ed makes his first post of the day!

20. Steve Hoffman

Great, let me know. I'd love to hear a version of that song without the extra gook on there.

(Of course it's possible that the version on RCA is exactly like the original 45. Who knows?)

21. Bob Lovely

Steve,

I will let you know. I like a thread like this where we take a classic track and discuss all the aspects of the track. It would be fun and educational to pick a track on a regular basis and do this...

I really enjoy the depth.

22. Steve Hoffman

Too bad I don't have any answers for you, just guesses.:(

23. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Hard to believe; from the ubiquity of that song and the undoubtedly BIG promotion it must have received (Don Kirshner?), I would have thought that song would have hatched in the top twenty.

One of the greatest pop singles ever, IMHO!

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's a great song! and the "theme" will never be outdated!:laugh:

25. Steve Hoffman

Start a new SUGAR SUGAR thead. I LOVE that song!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe we can find out about the best version of it. I just have an RCA British 45...

Who's the electric piano player?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.