Zappa "Absolutely Free" anniversary LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

WhaaaaAAAA????

[​IMG]

We are excited to announce the Absolutely Free 50th Anniversary Expanded Edition 2LP vinyl - coming September 29! Pre-orders start today, and you can find all the details of the release below! Kill Ugly Radio!

The Zappa Family Trust will mark the 50th anniversary of Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention’s politically-charged, envelope-pushing sophomore album, Absolutely Free, with an expanded vinyl-exclusive edition on September 29 via Zappa Records/UMe. This double 180-gram LP version will include the original record mastered by Bernie Grundman cut directly from the original analog master tapes and a second disc with 20 minutes of rare and unreleased bonus material, including the “Why Don’tcha Do Me Right?”/“Big Leg Emma” single as well as vintage remixes, and radio ads from The Vault on side one and a laser etching of Zappa’s visage from the album cover on side two. The package features Zappa’s orig inal layout and a reproduction of the rare, highly sought-after “libretto,” an 18-page booklet with a foreword by FZ and lyrics to all the compositions, that was offered only by mail order when originally released. Absolutely Free is available for pre-order now.

Released 50 years ago on May 26, 1967 on Verve Records, Absolutely Free was the Mothers of Invention’s follow-up to their landmark debut album, Freak Out! Brash, challenging and exhilarating, the record was revolutionary as it pushed the limits of what an album could be. A pop culture pastiche, the album leaps through genres – from psychedelic pop and progressive rock to free-form jazz and avant-garde noise to doo-wop and garage rock, often in the same composition as on album highlight “Brown Shoes Don’t Make It,” and is filled with Zappa’s trademark biting political and social satire. Hailed by All Music as a “fabulously inventive record” that is “by turns hilarious, inscrutable, and virtuosically complex,” the record is divided into two “oratorios” or song suites – “Abso lutely Free” and “The M.O.I. American Pageant” – and is rife with complex instrumentation, cutting edge experimentation and unconventional editing.

50 years later Absolutely Free resonates as strong as ever and has proven itself to be prescient and wildly ahead of its time.

ABSOLUTELY FREE TRACK LISTING

LP1 – Side 1
    1. Plastic People
    2. The Duke Of Prunes
    3. Amnesia Vivace
    4. The Duke Regains His Chops
    5. Call Any Vegetable
    6. Invocation And Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin
    7. Soft-Sell Conclusion

LP1 – Side 2
    1. America Drinks
    2. Status Back Baby
    3. Uncle Bernie’s Farm
    4. Son Of Suzy Creamcheese
    5. Brown Shoes Don’t Make It
    6. America Drinks & Goes Home

LP2 – Side 1
    1. Absolutely Free Radio Ad #1
    2. Why Don’tcha Do Me Right
    3. Big Leg Emma
    4. Absolutely Free Radio Ad #2
    5. “Glutton For Punishment…”
    6. America Drinks – 1969 Re-Mix
    7. Brown Shoes Don’t Make It – 1969 Re-Mix
    8. America Drinks & Goes Home #2 – 1969 Re-Mix

LP2 – Side 2
    Laser Etching

LP ONLY?!?!?!?!?!
    boo, I say...

2. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Doesn't look like much bonus material.....pass..........

3. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

Meh...
    Never could get into this one...
    Sounds like an album of leftovers to me.

after MEAT LIGHT where can you go?
    Know what I mean?
    That was "the gold" boyo!

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  4. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

A favourite album of mine, but this is very underwhelming :sigh:

5. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Are those 1969 remixes the same as what's on Mothermania?

6. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I used to love this album, but it's a bit of a slog these days,

I'll pass.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Absolutely Free songs on Mothermania were not remixed. However, the recent release Frank Zappa for President has a 1969 remix of "Brown Shoes" which is presumably the same one included on this upcoming LP.

bluesbro likes this.
  8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

So these are first time appearances of these 1969 remixes that Frank just left in the vaults until now?

9. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Seems like they kinda blew the anniversary timeline on this one. By September I will have moved on to the 40th anniversary of Aja or the 30th Anniversary of REM Document or Dukes of Stratosphear, or the 10th anniversary celebration of My Bloody Valentine getting back together, or the 20th anniversary of Time Out Of Mind, or goodness knows where I'll be by then.....definitely not thinking of May 1967 anymore, that's for sure!

smoke likes this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. The "Brown Shoes" remix was a surprise on that otherwise not so remarkable ...For President CD.

11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Too bad there will be no CD issue.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  12. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I love Absolutely Free, though not as much as Freak Out! and We're Only in It for the Money. I'll definitely splurge on this since it's not cut from Zappa's $h1++y digital master.

Daniel Thomas and showtaper like this.
  13. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Not for me, I don't think. Still, with Zappa releases I know there's already a bunch of stuff 'coming soon' which will be 'for me' so it's no problem.

14. vince

"WHAT do you KNOW?!"- (he says, in an intimidating sort of way).

Darrin L. and Instant Dharma like this.
  15. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

I'll have one thank you very much! Why the fuss about bonus tracks? I don't think any of the other vinyl re-issues have had any extras added so as long as it sounds as good as those have been I'll be glad to replace my old Verve LP.
    What a pumpkin!

[​IMG]

:)

aoxomoxoa, Larry L and boots like this.
  16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Always had a special fondness for this one, as it was my first taste of The Mothers.

I'll stick with my original Verve mono and stereo copies, and just present it's a Deluxe Edition.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I feel like you do but much less love for Absolutely Free. It's ok, I got it in mono, but I rarely ever play it...

18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

:laugh:

Only what we all know - Halloween Box primarily but Hot Rats set was also mentioned and I'm sure there'll be a couple more releases. It's not even as if I've got all the recent Vaulternative stuff yet so there's plenny o' Frank around for me at the moment. Too much? I'd never say that. :angel:

edit: Just remembered the full Roxy audio was promised as well at some point.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's where I am.

Already have the 2012 CD and Zappa For President. Take that stuff out and I'd be left with radio ads, an interview segment (I'm guessing), a couple of remixes, and a nice laser etching.

I'm sure it will sound great, but not for me.

Back to Meat Light. :righton:

bluesbro likes this.
  20. vince

Oh....ok, then...carry on.

edenofflowers likes this.
  21. According to Wikipedia, "Sgt. Pepper's" was also released in the UK on May 26, '67... That's quite incredible in a way...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  22. jonj

jonj Forum Resident

I have the original Verve but will be buying this as well. All the Zappa reissued LPs so far have been very satisfactory.

kendo likes this.
  23. boots

boots Chokma!

Same here, I have 2 Verve copies both unlistenable, I'll be snaggin' a copy.

24. vince

I may (MAY,mind you) get it just to get the bonus stuff.

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There wasn't a big budget for the album back in 67...not a lot of things were recorded

Mechanical Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.