Zappa "Absolutely Free" anniversary LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Uncut magazine reports that this is an analogue cut from the master tapes so I'm interested have I missed an analogue cut vinyl reissue of Freak Out? Hoping that they give WOIIFTM the same treatment next year. I don't have any Zappa vinyl so this is a good release for me.

2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I don't think the recent Freak Out vinyl was an analog cut.
    I believe there is some damage to the master tape. The same goes for "We're Only In It For The Money" and "Uncle Meat".

The analog ones currently available are...

Lumpy Gravy (from a 1968 safety of the master)
    Cruisin' With Ruben & The Jets
    Hot Rats
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    Overnite Sensation
    Apostrophe
    Roxy & Elsewhere
    Sheik Yerbouti (from EQ'd cutting tape)
    Joe's Garage (from a 1979 safety of the master, not half speed mastered like the original)
    Finer Moments (Unreleased album from 1972).

Cassius likes this.
  3. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Despite much of it being released, were it released on CD I'll get it, but vinyl, nah - ferget it............................

Mr Sam and vince like this.
  4. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Yes you do. :)

showtaper likes this.
  5. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Thanks very much, useful to see which albums you need to find an old pressing of and which ones you can pick up new.

vudicus likes this.
  6. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

No problem.
    It's an ongoing reissue program too so no doubt there will be more after "Absolutely Free".

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

What is the cat saying to Barking Pumpkin?

Electric Sydney and Scope J like this.
  8. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Meow?

jamesmaya likes this.
  9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That would make sense!

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I heard it was the closest approximation (in Chinese) to:
    "Sacred Excrement!"

dlokazip and jamesmaya like this.
  11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'm gonna make this LP my duchess...my duchess of prunes

O Don Piano and jamesmaya like this.
  12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Holy s**t!

vince and jamesmaya like this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's been pushed back to October 6.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

In this case it's absurd to hold out - the new pressings sound as good or better than originals.

15. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just picked up at my local...cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at Pallas. Looks excellent can't wait to give it a spin!

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Really - ! Amazon pushed it back to Oct 13!!! :mudscrying:

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This is one of the Verve masters, the Mothers of Invention classic early period.

Everyone needs this if you do vinyl and do not own a clean original.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. And over on Analog Planet, Michael Fremer A-B'ed the new WOIIFTM against a clean original Verve - and the new version won.

McLover likes this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have not read MF's review, but that album has several various masterings that are considered original. Various edits and censored parts. There is one cut with an "F" in the runout I considered the best of four Verves I cimpared. It had more body and clarity on the top end. I doubt any reissue will top that original I have unless they discovered an original master in pristine condition in a box under a rock in very recent years. But you never know, they might have reassembled a fresh master from the original mixes scattered around and come up with a new master that is identicle enough that no one can tell it's a new assembly and it sounds best!

20. WonkyWilly

That's exactly what they did...in 1995. The vinyl is cut from the same master.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No accourding to what was said st the time, itceas said to be master copy tape. And it sounds like a copy tape (the 95 one). And in no way can that copy sound better than an original. MFSL used this copy as well, and in fact used that digital capture too. It was all inferior. And I would pray to Christ that this new one is not that 95 master copy tape redone yet again. Please tell me that there is a new assembly apart from the suckass 95 copy.

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

All I can tell you is go back and look at reviews on this very forum about the Zappa vinyl reissues. Pretty much 100% positive. That is RARE in these parts.

The new ones are incredible masterings on dead quiet vinyl. I actually sold off my originals because the new ones are simply more pleasurable for listening, and why should I keep a relic for the sake of it being a relic?

boboquisp, puelche and WonkyWilly like this.
  23. WonkyWilly

It was from a combination of copy tape and master mixes, some of which sound like someone took a cheese grater to the tape. But the fidelity is still better than any Verve pressing I've heard. Not a great sounding album no matter how you slice it.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not for Money it did not get thumbs up. It's the one dull murky screwed up mess out of the catalog. So bad that Zappa refused to released it using that so-so dub that is now being called a re-assembly.

No, I would expect that they have come up with something better since the '95 murk.

25. WonkyWilly

It's not a posthumous master. It was released in 1995, but approved by Frank in 1993.

I do think it's the best sounding version available, but I also agree with what you are saying about the sound quality. It's a frustrating situation.

Also, I doubt that they have the ability to improve on it, as they were able to re-do "Lumpy Gravy" from a better tape earlier this year. I imagine they would have done the same for Money if they could.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.