ZEN PBS Mystery

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Did anyone watch this recent program? About a non-corrupt Italian police detective.

Was quite good.

In particular, the theme music was outstanding - seemed more Mancini-type thriller-lounge music than I've heard for a long time.

The man who plays Zen looks like someone else, from some old British series I think?

2. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Just noticed him as Alexander Hamilton in HBO's "John Adams." Yes, this series is good--pity they only made 3 episodes!

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Saw this in the UK. Beautiful women; beautifully shot; well-acted; awful resolutions to the stories.

Coricama likes this.
  4. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Are they much different from the books?

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Rufus Sewell as Zen. Appeared long ago on PBS in Middlemarch. I'm sure he's done other things...

6. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Very cool series (well, just saw my first episode Sunday night...) Wonderful 'look' to the thing, from the "new wave"/Seventies look to the titles and the aforementioned soundtrack. Stylish clothes, too! Looking forward to the rest of the episodes....

7. John B Good

Back tonight for the second episode.

I was browsing an old newspaper today, from a week or so, and a reviewer compared it (ZEN) favorably to those grimy scandinavian detectives so may people now seem to like.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Looking forward to the second episode. Loved the first as it reminded my wife and me of our Italian holiday last year.
    Sartorially, quite a change from the rumpled detectives of the British series that are often on PBS!

9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I just watched all 3 episodes this week. Excellent casting, great scenery, beautiful women, stylish. I really enjoyed it and hope they make more. It's odd watching an 'Italian' story when most of them have English accents, but it beats subtitles.
    Edit: Just noticed the start date of this thread, so I guess 3 is all we get.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Try Inspector Montalbano

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah that's pretty much it. I was disappointed that they didn't make more. I thought it was a good program. It was a co-pro between the BBC and a US production company. Not sure why the BBC cancelled it. EDIT: checked wiki, they felt there were already too many male crime fighters on TV.

Coricama likes this.
  12. John B Good

Heck! There's too much crime on TV!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.