Zeppelin's TSRTS 2007 DVD. Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rock76, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

About almost two weeks I went to a local store and saw the 2007 2-dvd edition of LZ "The Song Remains The Same" for about 11 USD (very affordable if you ask me).

I own the old DVD (guitar on cover) and since I've read that the film's been altered (some things that Plant says on stage have been deleted among other things), I wonder if it's really worth buying the new edition (not being the original film as it was screened in the 70's).

Am I missing a lot from the new DVD edition? Should I return to the store immediately? (I know the sound's been improved, but I don't own a state of the art home theater anyway)

Thanks for your advice.

2. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

GET IT!

Picture is incredible and the bonuses are plentiful!

Go!

Now!

:righton:

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

For that price, get it, but to me, the picture isn't any better than the old DVD, and the remixed sound, while clean, alters the balance of the instruments---more guitar, less drums.

Since it went out of print, you might want to buy it just to resell it for a profit.

4. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

Seems like every Zeppelin release is the same: more guitar, less drums. DAMN YOU JIMMY PAGE! One day he'll realize he wasn't the only person in LZ.

5. street legal

street legal Senior Member

:agree: What he said, especially for $11. Hell, I was happy to pay $17 or $18 for mine a month or so ago, as it is getting very hard to find at this point.

Just curious: That's $11 for a used copy, right? If new, don't hesitate for a second!

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I paid $21 for it this week, since it's OOP and getting harder to find. Of course, the new "fixed" one is available now on Amazon.com for $16 so I guess I paid $5 for the difference(s?) between the OOP and the new one.

http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin-..._bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1204316406&sr=8-8

Actually.... I have no idea if I got the OOP one or the new one! Hmmm. What's the difference(s) again? I'll have to check when I get home tonight.

Craig(VC).

7. rock76

It's not a used copy. It's brand new. Don't know if it's the pulled version though.
    The artwork (front and back) is in Spanish "La CanciĆ³n Es la Misma".

PS: How can I know (by watching it of course), if it's the version that was pulled and not the recently stocked?

8. jrice

jrice Senior Member

I just heard that the new reissued set no longer contains the Cameron Crowe segment on the 2nd disc. So if you have that segment, you have the OOP version.

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Where exactly does this appear in the menus?

I haven't even opened up the 2DVD package I bought earlier this week, but I will probably do so later this evening when I get home from work; I'm too curious to see whether I ended up with the pulled/OOP version or the new version.

What I'm asking is the exact path of the menu options to get to the submenu where I should look for a missing menu choice or something, and what the missing menu choice is called.

Thanks,
    Craig(VC).

10. rock76

It does have the cameron crowe segment on the second disc. It is listed on the backcover. Why was it pulled from the first edition?

11. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

12. rock76

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'll answer my own questions. :)

Turns out I have the pulled/OOP version. I don't know what the new version's distinguishing characteristics are (so I can't tell anyone how to tell the difference between two sealed copies), but the copy I got has the following characteristics:
    • the credits say copyright 2007
    • the extras listing on the back of the box includes: "Radio Profile Spotlight by Cameron Crowe (1976)"
    • disc 2 includes that "Cameron Crowe" extra in the introductory menu

I selected that Cameron Crowe extra - it's an audio-only thing. An excerpt of The Kinks "You Really Got Me" can be heard between 5:00 and 6:00 in to this audio extra.

So if that is indeed what was caused this DVD set to be pulled, I definitely have the pulled/OOP version.

Craig(VC).

14. rock76

Got it. Last time I went there were lots of copies, today, there were like 10 or so. It is the standard 2 disc version (not blue ray or HD). It does have the cameron crowe radio excerpt. Now I don't know if I should keep my old copy or sell it right away (is it valuable now that is out of print?)

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

The sound is very much improved, the DTS soundtrack is awsome!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.