ZERO HOUR - abc Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^ We just hadn't had time to get the back story that Hank Galliston's father, Henry Sr., is a wealthy media mogul who has funded Hank's conspiracy theory magazine for years. So, he basically has unlimited funds.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

What's with this trend of traitors or spies or scumbug criminals as the 'heroes' of a show? Is it suppose to be edgey or something?

back to 'Zero Hour' - read in one article the remainder of the episodes might be aired in the summer as 'fill'.

3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Part of the general degradation of society...

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah, in Red Widow, we are supposed to root for the family of a drug dealer/ mobster. The police or FBI are the bad guys.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, where did that little factoid slip out? Now we know how a doofus like Anthony Edwards could hook up with a knockout like Jacinda Barrett.

I'm waiting to see if they're going to play out the other episodes that were shot. It'd be a shame to leave us hanging, if all these shows are in the can. I honestly didn't think the show was that bad, but it's clearly a limited-appeal "comic book" kind of show that probably would've played better on AMC or something, and probably on a lower budget. Hell, if they can do Falling Skies on TNT, this show would've worked -- and Falling Skies is twice as stupid as this one. (And I'm embarrassed to say I watch and enjoy them both, at least on some level.)

6. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

One of the problems with the series is that Edwards has not aged well. He's just not believable as the romantic leading man nor as an action hero. Even taking into account the character is suppose to be a bit of an introvert, nerd and bookworm type.

P.S. The last aired episode ended with the Edwards' character's parents revealing that they had a secret they would not tell their son, yet. We, the audience, were left in the dark, as well. The parents were asked earlier in the episode about any family connections to Germany in the 1930s and they replied, "No".

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I'm afraid I agree. He's also 10 years older than the actress playing his wife, and it's hard for me to buy him as the husband, though I think he made a heroic effort, and I think Edwards is an excellent actor. I think they needed a geeky/handsome academic type, sort of like a 40-year-old Tom Hanks or something like that. I can buy a reluctant hero who doesn't know how to fight or use a gun, but forced to do both in order to save somebody from his family. You don't necessarily need a rugged action type like (say) Hugh Jackman; you'd need somebody shrimpy and bookish, but able to leap to the challenge when pushed. Not an easy casting challenge.

There was an article in the trades today saying that ABC has been getting killed on Thursday for the last 5-6 years, so it's a big problem with their TV schedule. Zero Hour is just one of many shows they've tried to do as a replacement for Lost, without any success. Anybody remember Flash Forward? :rolleyes:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to bring this up to date: ABC is burning off the last 6 episodes of the show over the summer, and I'm really impressed with what they were able to do with it. The first episode back had a huge, stunning plot twist that just blew me away.

For all my nitpicks, I think Zero Hour was one of the most unique, complicated, dare I say (I dare! I dare!) intellectual shows I've seen in years. I can think of ten series that weren't even 1/10th as interesting. By god, at least they tried something different. It's sad it failed so spectacularly.

The production values are really rich, and the jumps back-and-forth in time -- from 1940 to the present -- are really well-done. Now we know one of the mysteries: they have what I would call the ultimate Christian relic, which apparently has mystical powers, not unlike the Arc of the Covenant. Fascinating show, hands-down the most ambitious, wacky series I've seen in a long, long time. Check it out if you get a chance.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I really wanted to like this show badly, but it was even hokier than Heros had turned out to be imo and I bailed. Just lame.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, I'm lovin' it. It's not a very good show, but I gotta say, it has great production values, and I think the level of acting is very good. And the scripts have so many twists and turns, I feel like I'm going to get whiplash.

For the first few episodes, I kept saying, "why would this (relatively) hot woman marry a nebbish like Anthony Edwards?" We finally got that answer. I'm very, very impressed that the producers threw in this surprise.

Call me crazy, but one episode of this show has more going on in it than 10 episodes of Revolution. And that sci-fi show is considered a hit!

12. Seminole

Seminole Forum Resident

I agree with Vidiot. I just caught up with the three episodes that aired this month. Good fantasy story and nice pacing.They must have transporters for travel, but the show is fun. Definitely better than Revolution.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is the single stupidest thing in the show: the characters appear to have absolutely unlimited funds for travel and worldwide visas for every known country. This was also a huge problem in X-Files, where the two leads would be in Washington, Russia, and the South Pole in a single story, with very little explanation as to how and where they got there. There was one episode where they ran into the FBI accountant who wanted to quiz them about their "incredible expenses" on travel, and it was a funny acknowledgement that the show had a lot of unresolved issues.

ABC is really blowing through these shows, two per night. I'm sad that they don't even bother to run any promos, not even to tell you what's going to happen in the next episode! The only thing worse would be if they played them at 2 in the morning...

BTW, this looks like an expensive show -- I think they clearly thought it was going to get really big ratings, ala Lost and Revolution. I was telling a friend of mine today that it's a combination of the adventure of Indiana Jones, the conspiracy elements of X-Files, maybe a little Fringe, and the flashback structure of Lost. And a whole lot of The DaVinci Code and National Treasure. It steals from a lot of different places, but it's a real hoot -- I find myself laughing out loud at just how audacious the show is. Somehow, it avoids veering over the line of being ridiculous, and it really is pretty clever at setting up some enormously complicated plot lines.

14. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

OK. How many episodes have aired recently that DIDN'T air in the fall? Was there just one last week? Or two? I'd like to attempt to continue the series, but don't want to cover older ground.

Harry

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

16. JohnG

Anyone else enjoying tonight's Zero Hour finale?

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Yes. This turned out quite good. The show did not fail. ABC did. "Zero Hour" is better than 95% of the crap that is currently on network television. Especially given that it was only designed to run for 13 episodes, ABC had zero (pun intended) business cancelling this after only two eps. I'm glad I stayed with it to the end.

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------
    I agree. AMC would have really made something out of this show. I like it, but my wife loves it, but scriptural liberties drive my wife a little off.

19. JohnG

It was appropriately creepy at the end with what seemed like a coven holding our Hereos hostage and the inevitable rescue.
    Kinda like The Following but slightly better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.