Zerostat anti-static gun

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Don't know. I still use my DiscWasher record brush and stylus cleaner I bought back in the early 80's ... :biglaugh:

2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I still have mine too, but they have gotten next to no use for decades, as I rarely listen to vinyl anymore- and generally don't clean them when I do. Still have more than half the huge bottle of D3 fluid and I also still have my zerostat (which probably has 3/4 of it's life left if they do indeed last for 10K clicks).

If I ever get around to needle-dropping my LP's, I'll def be using them again; otherwise, I offer the whole set- along w/ a Geo-disc (anyone remember those?) here so some true vinyl lovers could use them.

What do vinyl experts think of the Geo-disc?

[​IMG]

mktracy likes this.
  3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Made by Milty Products, Bury St Edmunds, England. Discwasher must have imported it. They were American company - had one of their brushes at about same time as the original Zerostat .

JimW likes this.
  4. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Merci.

5. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to do a comparison yet? The Zerostat is working fine for me, but thinking about getting a deStat as it appears to be much easier to use.

6. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Im still using the red zerostat I have had forever, I also have a Geo-Disc which I've also had for a while. I would buy a Milty, before a used older discwaher version as most of them are probably on their last leg.

7. coopmv

No Clue. While I have some 4,000 LP's, not the greatest number when compared with the real vinyl diehards, I have some 7,200 CD's and as such, I really do not listen to LP's that often. Spending money on RCM and other fancy gadgets like cartridge alignment device and an expensive turntable are among the last things I would do.

8. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Thank you for asking. I need the encouragement. I have everything I need, but just haven't done the comparison yet... well, actually because I am in the middle of a severe pulmonary health problem that has really slowed me down about EVERYTHING.

The doctors who fixed my heart 2 years ago did a really fine job, but they created a big problem with my lungs in the process.

I will try to get this comparison done THIS week.

9. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

Thank you, and no rush. I'll probably end up buying the deStat III soon, anyway. Hope your health improves soon.

10. Warren Jarrett

On Amazon, they have the DeStat 2, for a VERY good price, still available on close-out. The 3 does look easier to hold, and is supposedly more powerful. But I bought the 2, just because it is so much less expensive.

11. coopmv

In reality, you don't really get that many LP's with terrible static problems ...

Spin Doctor likes this.
  12. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I've had mine since the 1983. So milty says it has 50,000 trigger operations. Earlier, I posted it had 50,000 uses which was wrong. Using it like the zerostat, you have 3 trigger operations per side. So 12 for two records if you use it according to the original Discwasher instructions. Comes out to about 11.41 years of use for 2 records per day, everyday.

I've had mine over 35 years, and it works fine, so I dunno...

13. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Yup... The problem ones seem to be the same ones all the time. Some never have static issues.

14. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Was hoping someone could answer this question for me as well? I am going to order a zerostat to give that a shot but ever since I upgrade my TT I am having all kinds of static issues. Didn’t have these issues with my “cheap” one (had a rubber mat) but I am having issues with the VPI. Without a mat and now with a Herbie mat as well.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like it a lot, but you need a good eye - and sight of the pivot axial in arm.

JimW and teag like this.
  16. Warren Jarrett

I also like the GeoDesk VERY much. It is the fastest and easiest to use. It provides a "good enough for most people" position of the cartridge. The only reason its not a perfect setting is that it's really not possible to perfectly line-up the indication ridge with the tonearm pivot center, and how close you can come with any particular tonearm varies with how visible that pivot center is from the angle you must view the ridge and arm.at the same time.

JimW and classicrocker like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I wouldn't buy a Geo Disc for a couple of reasons:

1) It's only good for Baerwald/Logfren based alignment

2) You can make an arc protractor yourself (any type you like) using the Conrad Hoffman program and use fishing line or dental floss to extend the line of sight for much less money.

18. teag

teag Forum Resident

I use it all the time with great results. I bought the Sinatra Capital set several years ago and the Geo was included in that release!

quicksrt likes this.
  19. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

The old joke about how guys never read instructions is apparently based on truth. It’s amazing that people never bothered to check the Zerostat instructions before using it.

20. coopmv

I only have vintage turntables like the Dual and Thorens, made in the late 70's and 90's and do not have any modern turntables since I am primarily a CD listener. I must admit I have never had any chronic static problems ...

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’m 95% certain the instructions didn’t tell to hold the record in your hand while using the Zerostat and I’ve found that this is crusial to the units performance.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  22. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I think my Milty is nearly dead after only a few years of occasional use. It rarely clicks or crackles when I use it, and when I test it, it rarely produces a spark.

Should I buy a new one, or is there a better alternative? Thanks.

23. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I've still got my white original from 1977 it still works.
    Probably because I've not used it for years.
    Those cheap throwaway electronic lighters once they've run out of gas do exactly the same thing held over a record.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  24. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Have one of the original red body Zerostat Guns I bought on eBay to replace my original that got lost in a move.

Was going to buy a new blue Milty version but they get spotty reviews for reliability and you can get an original red body gun used for about the same price on eBay.

The one I bought came in a complete Discwasher kit, brush, stylus cleaner, etc., which even had the small neon test bulb to check the Zerostat is working. It looked like the kit was barely used so took a chance and the Zerostat works flawlessly.

I zap an LP before and after cleaning and before each play. Works well IMO.

25. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

WTF would you zap a record before cleaning ?
    Total waste of time.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.