Zombies and Hitsville Box - thanks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nobby, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member Thread Starter

Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone here!

Only Steve CD I had until this morning was a Buddy FTOMT, which always sounded great, but I knew not why!

The only Steve CD that easily available in this country is The Zombies and although I only know the “big hit”, I decided to take the plunge. Now the only copy of She’s Not There I’ve got is on a compilation CD, but the difference between that and Steve’s version is immense.

The comp version sounds as though it’s being played through a car horn, whereas the SH one sounds, well, just smooth. And where did all that bass come from.

So thanks…

Also, arrived today was the Hitsville Box, again, on the recommendation of this forum.

I guess I’ve never heard Motown in mono. Everything sounds different…where did the bass guitar on the intro to “Tears Of A Clown” come from – that’s not on the stereo – and why is the mono noticeably slower. Or is it the stereo’s faster!?

Thanks once again.

Nobby (Soon to be a pauper!)

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...and the most popular question from people discovering Motown mono single mixes: What's going on with What's Going On? ;)

Regards,

3. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Ken,

You're right - have to say I really love that version on the Hitsville box!:thumbsup:

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Re: Re: Zombies and Hitsville Box - thanks!

To me, the 45 mix sounds correct since that what was on the radio and my 45, with the fake fade and all.

When I bought the stereo LP I felt ripped off; I didn't even recognize the song at first!

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Psychoaccoustics! Lower frequencies will give a person the perception that something is slower. But, many times, the mono mix IS a tad slower than the stereo. I can only imagine that the stereo mixdown deck was running a tad slow. Other times, the speed change is deliberate.

Concerning those mono mixes, the way they sound was very intentional! The mono sound is what Berry Gordy wanted and what the engineers worked hard for.

Welcome to discovering what many who didn't live with the 45s in the 60s have discovered, that Motown music was vibrant! Notice how wonderfully dry and clear "You Can't Hurry Love" sounds? Notics how the drums and vocals seem to pop out more? Notice the phat bass on "ABC"? That song isn't bubblegum anymore, now is it?:thumbsup:

6. Grant

Re: Re: Re: Zombies and Hitsville Box - thanks!

You too. huh?

7. Matt

Matt New Member

Yeah, that's a wacky mix of "What's Going On." I first heard both the stereo Lp mix and the mono 45 mix around the same time, before I got accustomed to either. The Lp mix seemed right to me, just because that fake fade felt so awkward. Plus, I think they cut out some of the opening chatter, which always gets my dog to perk his ears.

8. Ken_McAlinden

The single preceded the album by about four months, so that's not too surprising.

The closest thing I have heard to "the single mix in stereo" is the alternate "Original Detroit Mix" on the Deluxe Edition of WGO. It's still not quite the same and it doesn't have the fake fade, but it's a lot closer.

Regards,

9. Grant

You want another wild experience? Check out the original "Detroit mix" of the LP version.

10. Grant

You wanna speed up the poverty? Seek out the Temptations "Emporers Of Soul" 5-CD box set. It has all the mono mixes too!

In both cases, notice how powerful The Temptations' "Ball Of Confusion" now sounds without all of that stupid, limpy stereo experimentation crap fouling it up? The mono mix jams! Words of steel!

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Agreed.

Don't forget that powerhouse 45 mix of Jr. Walker & The All Stars' "Shake And Fingerpop". The stereo version is probably the worst stereo mix in Motown history (with "Heat Wave" being a close second).

12. Ken_McAlinden

The best example of a Temptations track that sounds bad in stereo and great in mono is "Get Ready". I believe that was one of those early eight track stereo mixes where they hadn't quite got the bugs worked out yet.

Regards,

13. Ken_McAlinden

You are so right. Unfortunately, the most commonly available source for this mono mix is the "Ultimate Collection", and the mastering doesn't do it justice. Seek out mono vinyl or the "Nothing But Soul" 2-disc Anthology CD if you want to hear Shake & Fingerpop properly (or at least in the ballpark)

Regards,

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

>>>Ha!!! Ever hear the stereo mix of "Whats So Good About Goodbye"??

15. Grant

If only Steve could do the Motown singles...

16. RetroSmith

Agreed, they would sound awesome in all their tube glory.

They WOULDNT sound like the 45s tho. The 45s had a layer of "grit" on 'em probably from overdriving the cutting amps to get that "Car radio" sound.

Steves verison would be smooth and sound just like the master tapes.

17. Ken_McAlinden

They remixed it to pretty decent effect on the recent 2-disc Anthology. I had forgotten how bad the original stereo mix was.

Regards,

18. RetroSmith

Hey Ken, I didnt know they had remixed it!! Thats good news. The original stereo was pretty bad, and I'm a stereo nut.

I have a single disc hits collection and its the mono mix on there. I'll have to check out the new stereo mix. Can you remember what it sounds like? Did they spread the instruments out, left and right?

19. Grant

The stereo mixes are not wide.

But I think you will be happy with the first-time stereo mix of "You've Really Got A Hold On Me".

20. Ken_McAlinden

The general philosophy on the remixes for the Ooo Baby Baby: The Anthology CD was to keep it wide with the vocals centered. They tended to lengthen the fades compared to previous stereo mixes and, in some cases, even compared to the mono mixes. Since they were 3-track recordings, the results are usually pretty straightforward, The songs that were remixed were:

Everybody's Got to Pay Some Dues
    What's So Good About Goodbye
    I'll Try Something New
    You've Really Got a Hold on Me
    Love She Can Count on
    I Can Take a Hint
    I've Been Good to You [Live]
    Mickey's Monkey
    Whatever Makes You Happy
    I Gotta Dance to Keep From Crying
    (You Can't Let the Boy Overpower) The Man in You
    I Like it Like That
    That's What Love Is Made of
    Would I Love You
    Come on Do the Jerk
    Baby Don't You Go

Regards,

21. RetroSmith

Thanks ken!!

22. Ken_McAlinden

Hmmm? Maybe I don't remember correctly. I thought they were. I'll give 'er a listen tonight and report back.

Regards,

23. Grant

But, even though I have the remixes, I still need the original mono mixes for historical accurracy, so I hang onto the boxed set.

My main complaint with the Smokey remixes/new mixes is that I don't like the EQ. The stereo sounds thin. I'm listening to them now.

24. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

The new stereo Smokey mixes are very wide and full-bodied to these ears. I personally like them a lot, as far as providing a fresh listening experience for familiar material. In that regard, no complaints whatsoever about the Ooo Baby Baby set. Actually, I wish they had done more remixing - the new remixes end right at the Going to a Go Go material, which could really benefit from a fresh mix. What they accomplished with the "new" mixes is pretty far superior to what they stuck with in terms of the existing stereo mixes of the Going to a Go Go songs.

25. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Re: Re: Re: Re: Zombies and Hitsville Box - thanks!

When it comes to Motown, I'm still amazed how little the 5.1 DTS FOREVER YOURS is mentioned. It's the closest to being 'in the studio' I've ever heard from the company, and while "What's Going On" doesn't have the punch of the mono 45, it IS stripped down like the 45, without the extra embellishments of the stereo Lp version. It doesn't fade back, unfortunately, but boy, what clarity and range! The whole disc is like that, even the earliest tracks. Can't recommend it enough!:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.