Zootopia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident Thread Starter

I find it funny that Gary's designs kinda look like knockoffs themselves.

Deuce66 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's really tough to prove this kind of stuff because there's a thing called prior art in copyright law, which basically says "if somebody else used a similar idea years before, then both ideas were derivative and therefore one can't sue the other." What's different about this lawsuit is that this is a very well-established Hollywood writer who had a relationship with the Disney studio, and they admit he did have meetings with him about an "animals in clothes" buddy picture. In his case, it was a squirrel and a hyena instead of a bunny rabbit and a fox, but he may have a point. It's interesting that Disney is choosing to fight rather than settle, because usually they give the guy a million bucks in "going away money."

I think the Zootopia idea is big enough that they could milk this thing for four sequels and a TV version, plus a theme park ride, and go for 20 years with it. That's kind of a blessing and a curse, because it started out as kind of an original idea, particularly the thing with the shock-collars being used to control the meat-eating animals to force them to get along with what would normally be their prey (like a fox and a bunny).

I've watched the last five minutes of this film a dozen times and I still laugh. Brilliant animation, good character design, great use of color, fantastic lighting effects, a catchy song, and it's also funny as hell...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    DrewHarris, Deuce66 and Mr. H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.