Zu Audio DL-103(r) variants vs standard Denon DL-103 cartridges?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Fall

The Fall Active Member

I am offering an alternative to friction fit and potting. Please see: Home

This is an aluminum body Cap that clamps over the plastic body. It provides many (if not most) of the improvements of a full potted system, but is completely reversible and transferable.

Analog Planet will be running this in an up coming post.
    A "Clamp On" Solution For the Denon 103's Too Flimsy Mounting Arrangement

2. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

Interesting.

3. The Fall

The Fall Active Member

Metal (aluminum) is usually a good resonator, which is not great in audio. But it is strong and rigid. In a mechanical assembly the resonances of the metal can be kept very low if two materials (aluminum and plastic in this case) are brought together and joined mechanically... When mounted to the tonearm, the cartridge bolts couple the plastic body and the Aluminum Body Cap together. The mixed material coupling reduces unwanted vibration, improves isolation and increases rigidity of the system. During playback, the original tone and dynamics of the DL103 are present -- I find, there is just more of it. Users have noted that low-end bass performance is strengthened and improvements in clarity overall. More user reviews will be posted soon.

www.denonaluminumbody.com/reviews/

4. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I ended up going all in with the Sound Improvements aluminum body and some clear epoxy for potting:
    [​IMG]

It was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon and easier than I expected it to be, plus it only cost ~$50 total. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've heard the stock 103 I can't make any specific comparisons, but boy do I remember what I loved about the 103. And the heavier body seems to have helped a good bit with the plague of IGD, which was the reason I took the cartridge off my Scout in the first place.

IanL, The Fall, blakep and 2 others like this.
  5. paradoxent

paradoxent Member

Modifying a Denon 103/103R is one of the best things you can do in audio for audio enjoyment.
    If anyone wants to read the positive-feedback review of the paradoxpulse Guard R SMR (Sapphire cantilever and Micro Ridge diamond) here it is;
    Paradox Pulse Guard R SMR Cartridge - Positive Feedback
    [​IMG]

6. James1972

James1972 Well-Known Member

Following. I have a Denon wood body 103R on the way, I hope!

Trabik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.