Zulu DVD-Region 2 differences

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hawkman, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff Thread Starter

Would it have been a really big deal for MGM Home Video here in the States to do a nice edition of 'Zulu' the way that the Brits did? Yeah, I'm glad that they even put it out here in widescreen but for cryin' out loud, the Brits trumped us again! Nice little slipcase, a slightly different trailer, commentary and, best of all, a two part 'making of'!!! Not to mention subtitles for no less than sixteen different languages. All for not much more than a regular priced DVD here! Here we get the low budget movie/trailer deal. That's it.

Maybe it's a rights thing but it was nice to see James Booth (Pvt. Henry Hook) reminisce about making the film along with Stanley Baker's widow and other folks who worked on the film. The only thing sadly lacking is the lack of participation by Michael Caine. Those of you that like this film, and have the means to play a Region 2 PAL DVD, I would highly recommend the Region 2 DVD.

Rule Britannia!!!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Zulu, the movie had been in the public domain in the US so I don't know why MGM didn't do this to the US DVD.

3. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Zulu on Region 1 in the U.S. was a rushed release I think in order to make money. MGM took it from their 70mm print, but with a mono soundtrack. Rather than waiting and finding the stereo soundtrack or even bringing the Region 2 over, with its extras, MGM put it out as is to much disappointment :realmad: . I would have loved to have Zulu been given the treatment it got in Region 2, but nope.

4. Hawkman

You need to go to your local place of worship to give thanks, my friend. The Region 2 release uses the STEREO soundtrack!! :goodie: Sorry. I forgot to mention it in my first post. I can tell you for a fact that it is definitely in stereo. I don't know if the original soundtrack was 3-, 4- or 6 tracks but the little Dolby box on the back shows two boxes in the 'front' and one in the 'back' so I'm guessing it was three. If that means something else, I would be more than happy for correction.

In the meantime, I think you need to get hopping and get the Region 2 DVD. If you don't have a DVD that will play it, I'm sure that your computer will.

5. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

I think the release was in 6 track stereo and mono for theatrical showings. What I don't get is the old VHS and LD were stereo, surround I think, but MGM couldn't be bothered to wait and do a through search of the archives to find it. BTW, my computer could play the region 2, but only 5 times. Afterward, it is locked for good to whatever region it last played. :(

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

You should get a region free player. I finally got one several months ago and it's great to have some more choice now....

7. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Are you talking about a regular DVD player? Will it convert PAL-NTSC? My computer will do that, but I am limited by the built in changing of the region code for only 5 times.

8. Hawkman

This is close to the player that I have. With the rebate when I bought it, it cost me about $60. You can get a lot of cheap DVD players that will convert NTSC to PAL. This page and the others on this site will also allow you to 'remote hack' the player to break the region coding and in some cases, the copy guard. If you can find one cheap enough, you can do what I do and have a DVD player dedicated to playing DVDs from Region 2 or whatever region you want. It might also help if you can get a look at the manual or the remote for the player itself. My Classic has a button on the remote that will let you switch from NTSC to PAL or just set it to convert at will.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/full/classic102.asp

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks for the link, Hawkman ... I followed the "Click here to return to the list of players" link near the bottom of the page ... at the beginning of the second paragraph on the new page, it says ...

"Choice is good, and if you have one of the players listed below, you are legally entitled to follow the links to a page which will describe how you may alter the settings of your DVD machine."

... but there was no list of DVD players below on that page ... do you have a link to a list of DVD players that can be made multi-regional using the method described on the page that you linked to? ...

10. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Zulu has always been one of my favorite movie ... anyone have a good, reasonably priced source for a Region 2 copy of Zulu ...

11. Mr. Winston

Mr. Winston New Member

Amazon UK always seems to have it in stock for a reasonable price. Don't know about any US vendors though.Zulu

12. Hawkman

I got mine from Amazon UK.

13. Hawkman

Go to that same page, scroll down a bit and click on the words "Remote Hackable". Or just go to this link which brings you to the same page. They go alphabetically but you have to go to click on the numbers below to go through the pages. It's possible that you may have a player that is remote hackable already.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/hackable.asp

I would also suggest that you get the DVD from Amazon UK to have at the ready when you get a player that can play it! :)

14. Christopher J

Christopher J Norme Con Ironie

Xploited Cinema carries this DVD in the US for $19.95. Paramount holds the rights to this movie in the UK, so don't expect any of these extras to be ported over to any R1 release:
    -Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen (2.35:1) Version
    -English and German 2.0 Audio Options
    -Audio commentary from second unit director Robert Porter and film historian Sheldon Hall
    -'And Snappeth The Spear In Sunder: A Making Of Zulu' featurette
    -'Roll Of Honour: The Making Of Zulu' documentary (45 mins)
    -Theatrical trailer
    Ironically, MGM doesn't even like to share rights to extras with itself, given the number of UK Special Edition DVDs that get barebones releases Stateside(A Fish Called Wanda, The Party) or compromised releases (The Pink Panther Collection) even though MGM owns the rights to these films in both territories. :(

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

What I would do is rip the R2 DVD with DVD Decrypter and transfer whatever is possible on an All-Region formatted DVD-/+R disc.

16. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Mr. Winston, Hawman and Christpher J for the Zulu R2 sources ... if I did the math right, Amazon UK looks like around $21 delivered ... Xpoilted Cinema ... charges a flat $3 delivery charge ... but I suspect that I can find a few other goodies on XC ...

17. Hawkman

You are welcome good sirrah! I would say jump on that Zulu DVD. It's excellent and a real shame that they didn't do that here. You will see some slight differences in the trailer, most notably the voice over.

18. Hawkman

19. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Interesting ... I liked Lancelot Narayan's (the DVD producer of Zulu) comment ... I was astounded by the quality of this transfer. The 5.1 mix is unreal. Quite frankly, Paramount's Zulu pisses on all these other region 1 pirates in terms of sheer class.

20. Hawkman

...and so it DOES!!!! :)

21. Hawkman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.