Zune - Every 30GB Zune Frozen at the Exact Same Moment Last Night

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJ WILBUR, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Is that WMA or WMA Pro? Pro is really really good.

2. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

WMA. Is WMA Pro really that much better? I've already ripped 275 or so CDs, and I'm not ripping them again for quite some time. I rip with dbPoweramp in secure mode, and I didn't notice an option for WMA pro until just now :realmad:. With my system and my ears, WMA 192 sounds 95% as good as WMA lossless. That's a pretty good compromise for quality and space for my current situation.

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yes WMA Pro is that much better at 192k. Its also come out well in listening tests etc.

I've found it the most listenable lossy format since the mature versions of ATRAC.

I'm fully satisfied with it after going through half a dozen (read EAC/Lame/MP3/AAC) or more trials.

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yep I use it on my laptop. Looks nice.

6. bba1973

bba1973 New Member

Crap. Well, I'm still really happy with what I have for now. It still beats the crap out of 128 MP3 and sounds much better than 128 AAC. Next time I reinstall Windows I'll start over with my Zune too. That is, if my optical drive in my laptop doesn't die on me.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Will a CD that's recorded with WMA Pro files play in a drive that plays mp3's and WMA's?

My car player plays CD's with WMA files, so I've been using WMA at 192 kbps. I don't mind the way it sounds - it seems fine for me. I've seen the WMA Pro option and wondered about it and whether it would be compatible with my car player.

Harry

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Unfortunately WMA Pro isnt supported by many other bits of hardware. I went for Pro as sources said it sounded good, it was a more modern lossy codec and I dont share my music around. It gets played either on the Zune or the PC.

In the car I use the Zune or the full blown CD. Had the Zune got 160Gb of space I'd maybe have gone lossless but with 30Gb at 192k I've gotten 333 albums onto the Zune with around 4Gb spare for some Family Guy episodes etc. if I go on a trip.

Best thing to do is give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.