Zvox 670 or Sonos Playbase?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Atmospheric, May 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm finally throwing in the towel on my 3.1 A/V receiver home theatre sound system. It's buggy, it's never sounded very good. 99% of our viewing in that room is cable and on-demand movies. We have a DVD player, but we use it 1-2 times per year, if that.

I'm looking to simplify with either a Zvox 670 or Sonos Playbase. At $370 and $700 respectively, the Sonos is nearly double the price. Is it worth it? One problem we are having is unintelligible dialog. The Zvox claims to solve that problem, so that and the lower price has me leaning that direction. But I could pop for the Sonos if I thought it was worth the extra dough.

2. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So you sticking with 3.1 or going 2 channel?

3. Atmospheric

I just want something that sounds decent, particularly with processing that will clean up dialog. So the answer is, "I don't know exactly." I don't expect audiophile quality. I need just it to work reliably and sound decent.

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Are you already in the Sonos ecosystem for music? If so do you have it in that particular room? If the respective answers are yes and no, the Sonos unit will give you music for about the same price as a Play 3, assuming all things are equal with TV dialogue.

5. Atmospheric

No to the ecosystem question. I'm strictly interested in something that will sound decent in this specific context. I might occasionally stream music to it from an iPad for parties.

6. Lvnvjim

Lvnvjim New Member

I just bought the Playbase with the full 5.1 surround including the sonos sub. I was using the Bose version of the playbase and wasn't happy. The Sonos Playbase is surprisingly awesome for an all-in-one surround front end. Very happy with it!

7. Manny B.

Manny B. New Member

I have a ZVOX 670 system and WOW what great sound this has, great for music, movies and very clear voice technology they call Accuvoice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.