ZYX RS-30 02H Cartridge

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Back 2 Vinyl, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I just scored this ZYX RS-30 02H cartridge. It's used and I got it very cheap, being from México I would have never been able to afford it new. My question is what kind of preamp at an affordable price will I need for it? My turntable is a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.
    Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jelloalien likes this.
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There are phono preamps with sufficient gain for a low-output MC cartridge. The phono preamp is connected to one of the inputs other than phono on the integrated amp.

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

3. Back 2 Vinyl

Back 2 Vinyl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thank you! Someone just recommended me the Schiit Mani preamp, they said it's one of the best. I'm currently living in the US, so I'd like to make a decision before going back to México.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

4. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I don’t know whether to agree the Mani is one of the best, but something to keep in mind with this ZYX cartridge - This is very low output you’re getting at 0.24 mV. The better solution might be a step-up transformer (SUT) with a 1:15 ratio. The SUT is a less common and often more expensive option but allows a better match.

5. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

I have a ZYX 4D on one of my tables, they are very nice cartridges. Its my opinion that it deserves a higher quality table than a Carbon, and I really do not mean to disrespect your choices...its just the ZYX are high performance components. You lucked into a long term keeper there.

If I were looking for an affordable phono stage, I would consider the Vista Audio Phono II. I have had an earlier version of the circuit in my home, and it was a remarkable performer for the money. Boris has added easy loading options to it, so now its user friendly. The price is quite reasonable also. While its a bit plain looking, it is a solid performer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now if you go to the used market and spend $500 or a bit more, you might be able to find some real fine phono stages for a deal. But you have to be patient, and pounce when the right deal shows up.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.