ZZ Top Cinco: The First Five LPs (5LP 180 Gram Vinyl) June 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masterbucket, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

This is exactly the experience I have had - two of the first three albums have 'non-fill' and I have had two sets from Amazon Uk now as well. I have early 80's pressings of all five albums and I agree that while the new ones sound slightly better there isn't a significant difference. I will return both boxes and be happy with the copies I have I think.

psubliminal and robtodd like this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

What do you mean? There are only two mixes of any of the albums in this box, the original one and the Six Pack one.

3. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I mean when the first five ZZ top records that were originally issued on US London records between 1971 to 1976 were reissued by warner on their beige label circa 1980, what we heard then was different than the original first press records on london...these german warners from circa 1980 on beige label were not cut from the master tapes but from copy tapes and the EQ was different...so I was a little surprised than a recut done from master tapes by chris Bellman makes only a little improvement comparing with those german records...

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, those masterings have a different sound, but they're the same mixes.

They are the versions I grew up with (I remember my copy of Tres Hombres had a hum all through the A-side), and I was surprised by how dark and bassy some of the originals were in comparison when I eventually got them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    DoF and 0476pearljam like this.
  5. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Wow that's a bummer that it might not be Record Industry for the EU. MPO used to be great but it seems even they have fallen victim to high output (had similar issues with the new Singles OST vinyl). Guess I'll pick up the US version and do exchanges as needed to get a completely playable set.

Metalrob likes this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, I finally pulled the plug and ordered one of these from Barnes & Noble. After their sale price and member discounts, and a couple of gift cards I had laying around....it cost me $40. Hard to pass that up...

DoF, sonofjim, ODShowtime and 3 others like this.
  7. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I'm sending my set back to Amazon UK. The pressings could be better. I already have the 2nd to 4th RTI pressings. The other two in my opinion aren't worth the slight improvement taking into account non-fill, clicks and pops.

Topcheeseman likes this.
  8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Got mine from Amazon today. Pretty pumped! Spinning "First Album" right now and it sounds excellent. It does have a few oil looking spots but so far has played flawlessly. The packaging is excellent. I've been lusting after the SH/KG cut of Tres Hombres and I am ecstatic to own a copy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Nice...I just pulled the trigger on this yesterday and hopefully spinning it tomorrow. Interestingly enough I stopped by a used bookstore last night and picked up what appears to be a playable copy of Tejas (cover of course roughed up). It will be fun to make some comparisons. The first time I listened to my original copy of Deguello several years ago was one of the main things that inspired me to keep buying more vinyl.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. Curious to know if First Album would be released individually? CB mastering on that one I bet sounds awesome!

11. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member Thread Starter

I hear ya.
    Need that one for sure.

Szeppelin75 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

My advice would be to look for a deal on the box. They all sound great to me. The packaging is also first rate IMO and, as a bonus, that first album is included at no extra charge.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. jon9091

Hard to say. My guess is no, since three of the five have already been available separately. I really can't see them breaking it apart again, or pulling just one or two titles out of it. If it were to happen, it wouldn't be any time soon. I could be wrong though, of course.

14. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

So far I've made it through First album, Three Dudes and Rio Grande Mud and they sound terrific. Strangely the records look to have some minor surface damage in the form of minor scratches. But they play perfectly and sound terrific. I'm noticing some details on Rio Grande Mud that I did not notice on the digital copies of the album I have heard previously. Guitar touches and impact of the drums. So far I would enthusiastically recommend this box. Pretty much everything you could want in a box re-issue (maybe include Deguello, but that album is easy to find in the used bins).

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I would be so tempted if I didn't have such clean originals, plus the SH Tres Hombres, and the Robert Ludwig Fandango, but not one of my 5 copies needs to be upgraded.
    That rare occasion where I don't have to try to resist temptation, only to give in.
    Feels weird.

webmatador likes this.
  16. jon9091

Deguello was also remastered by Chris Bellman, it just wasn't included in this box set. I've had it for a few years. Sounds very good....similar quality as his work on these.

Bananas&blow, ODShowtime and Myke like this.
  17. Myke

Chris and Bernie Grundman are the Batman & Robin of SQ. I truly believe that.

18. I will keep checking around for it. I've already got a clean original "Tejas", SH/KG "Tres", clean original and reissue of "Rio", and clean original and reissue of "Fandango"... So it's double dipping on a few things - but if I found at a deal I would buy it! My blue London "First" sounds good but I can imagine this new one would top it. Do we know if "First" was cut from hi-rez? Or cut from tape? (Apologies if this has been discussed!)

Myke likes this.
  19. I actually lucked out on some titles from the Tom Petty box set a few months back... A local store broke one open and was selling them individually. I snagged "Wildflowers", "She's the One", and "The Last DJ" individually. "Wildflowers" was an awesome find cause they still haven't reissued that one apart from the box. Maybe I will have the same luck for "First" from this box.

jon9091 and Myke like this.
  20. Also I am excited for everyone that gets to hear the SH/KG "Tres Hombres"... That thing will rattle the walls if you crank it loud enough. Seriously!

21. Myke

You can dig through these posts : Search Results for Query: ANALOG | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  22. Myke likes this.
  23. Myke

The CB Rio Grande Mud (2011) :

[​IMG]

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  24. Myke

Even after I found this out about Bernie's 2016 Pink Floyd titles, I've kept buying them, because they sound SO good through my vintage vinyl setup.

25. Yep! I've got this one, I was just thinking about "First Album" being cut from original masters - reading back through I cannot find anything to confirm or deny it. And unless they specifically state it, I would guess cut from hi-rez file - but like I said, still can sound awesome!

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.