ZZ Top "Legs": Two different versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acdc7369, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So my dad has a ZZ Top Eliminator CD that he bought sometime in the 80s. I don't have any matrix numbers or mastering information. I purchased a copy of this CD a few years ago and discovered that mine had a different version of Legs on it than his. Mine has a ton of synth overdubs and sounds way more studio'd up. The one on his is more laid back. I can post samples later if necessary.

The only version I've ever heard before is the one that is on my CD - the one with all the overdubs. On the radio, in the media, mass culture, anywhere, etc. Never heard the one on his CD except on that disc. Does anybody have any information about this? What's going on?

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

IIRC, there are 3 different variations/mixes.

The one on the LP, a single mix and a dance remix.

The LP mix has more guitar and IMO is the best one.

3. acdc7369

I don't think it's a dance remix, but I could be wrong. Both versions are exactly the same layout. One has a guitar intro and very little overdubs. The other has a tremolo synth intro and has a ton of synth overdubs. Other than that they are the same; no remix or anything.

4. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

This is what I thinking as well.

5. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I'd swear I remember reading a thread somewhere (probably here) a while back where it was mentioned that at some point the "original" LP version was replaced on some CDs with the single version...

...Or I could just be completely misremembering things, heh

6. RemarkablyInsincere

RemarkablyInsincere Active Member

The original version is the only worthwhile one...

agentalbert likes this.
  7. acdc7369

The one with more guitar on the old CD is 4:34. The one on the new CD with the synth overdubs is 3:35. So, the shorter version with way more overdubs is the single version, I take it?

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

It's discussed here in an Eliminator thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15178&highlight=eliminator

Some of the old CD's have the full album version, some have the shorter version. No way to tell, they all look the same. They all list the runtime of the full version on the artwork, so you have to put the CD in a player to see which one it has.

I believe the full length version is on ZZ Top's Greatest Hits.

9. timlamp1

timlamp1 Forum Resident

The version with more synth, and less guitar in the intro (single version) was first used in the Legs music video clip that aired on MTV, when they premiered the clip in January 1984.

10. pool_of_tears

The remix is on Greatest Hits. I'll compare the single edit, the album version on my target cd and the remix on greatest hits when I get home from work.

11. pool_of_tears

Yes. I used to have that 45 when I was a kid...it's long gone now. Even as a 7 yr old I preferred the album version...more guitar. :)

12. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I have only the vinyl with the 4.34 version. In case you're interested, according to Amazon, there is now a Collector's Edition out with the single version added as a bonus -and- a dvd that features the 'Legs' video. Sounds good to me.

13. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The Collectors Edition has 3 versions of Legs:

1. Original Album Version

2. Single Version (this is the 3:34 edited version shown on MTV).

3. Dance Mix

Also the MTV Video on DVD with the single version.

The longer single version, about a minute longer is on ZZ Top Greatest Hits 1992.

14. agentalbert

I knew the version on Greatest Hits was longer than the short single version, but I guess it is a sorta hybrid. It has the same synth start as the single version, but the length (it doesn't chop out a middle section) of the full LP version.

So I now count at least 4 distinct versions, if you include the dance mix.

15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

And don't forget the video-as an interpretation of the single if you like.

16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I prefer the single versions - more harmony

17. acdc7369

That would sound good, but unfortunately I find it hard to care because it was probably a casualty of the loudness war and wacky EQ

18. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

I just picked up a used BMG copy of the US WB which has the 4:35 (LP) version. I had the store check the run time on a player to be sure.

Nice sounding disc, too.

Just wondering..was the running time printed on the disc itself changed when the single version replaced the LP version on the older cd?

19. agentalbert

No. The back insert and discs always showed the full LP version runtime, regardless of what was actually on the disc.

20. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Glad I had the store actually put the disc in a player then.

21. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Just checked my original disc- it's the full version. By the way, does anybody else have strange track names when they loaded the disc on their computer?- track 11 came up as La Grange!

22. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Well, shouldn't there be 2 Legs? Sorry.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bumping to tie in with questions raised in other ZZ thread.

24. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You can thank Gracenote/CDDB for that error. User submitted metadata is loads of fun. :thumbsdn:

25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Thanks Mike. I had not seen this thread before. I'll have to take a closer look at the run time for my Eliminator when I get home tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.