ZZ Top- Rio Grande Mud - London Pressing Question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ccn103, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member Thread Starter

Seems there are two early pressings of Rio Grande Mud on the blue London label:

The "Shelley" pressing with 2-11-72 and the backwards S in the deadwax AND

The one with "Bell Sound" in the deadwax.

Can any owners of these comment on the sound? Just wondering if one is preferable over the other.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I checked and I have pressings from four plants:

TH - hand etched matrix and ”Bell Sound” stamp
    SH - machine stamped matrix with hand etched ”Shelley 2-11-72” after (can't see a ”backwards S" on any of my copies)
    PH - machine stamped matrix with hand etched ”PR” at 180°.
    W - machine stamped matrix with hand etched ”-W" after

I guess these are only two different masterings though. I have a whole bunch with the machine stamped matrix, but only one Bell Sound, maybe significant of which is more common. I haven't made any note which sounds best, and my amp is at the repair shop at the moment so I can't listen. Maybe I can report back later, if no one else answers.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  3. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

Ahhhh. The Lil Ole Band From Texas'....

I'll check my copy and report back!

4. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Would love to find out if there is a "go-to" version from those early pressings. I do own the 180g reissue.

5. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I'd be happy to report on which one I kept as my go to when I'm at home. I don't recall from memory.

Myke likes this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mine : http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...h-zephyr-lps-tommy-bolin.224839/#post-5710359

ZZ TOP - Rio Grande Mud - London XPS 612, stereo, 1972. Vinyl clean shiny VG+ to ++, plays quietly and shows little use. Bright royal blue labels without spindle traces / markings. Textured paper cover is VG-, overall clean and still nicely white, just a hint of ring soiling, a split seam partially along top by the opening (repaired inside very well, barely visible), lower opening corner bumped, and a small corner clip lower left by spine, probably a radio or promo copy as this was never a cut out. Original 1970 London/Deram/Parrot pink LP advertising inner sleeve exc. LP deserves a cover upgrade but this one is still presentable due to its cleanliness. $15

7. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Resurrecting this thread... I just nabbed a clean copy of the ‘W’ version but haven’t had a chance to clean and play it. The record itself is much heavier than my old ‘PH’ copy, which sounds okay but I feel wasn’t cut very loud. Anyone else had a chance to check their copies? Thanks!

8. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Hello ZZ Top Fans: I wish you all well today.

I revisited this thread today to find it closed and had it reopened -- thanks @Ken_McAlinden !

Focusing on the music today, I am seeking an answer to the question RE: the superior pressing of one of my all-time favorite LPs. I scored a promo Waddell since my last post, and for certain it's louder than my old -PH.

So, which pressing rules: The Shelley, the 'Bell Sound', or the -W (Waddell)?

Hoping to get @Cassius and @Raunchnroll in the conversation -- thanks in advance for your time to comment!

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

topekatj likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

There is also a Columbia Terre Haute pressing. Personally I prefer the -Waddell of all of them. It has the most oomph or phat-ness. The Shelley is fine but a tad brighter or thinner - on my system.

topekatj likes this.
  11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I landed on the Shelley, but am tubed out which may account for the counterpoint to Raunch's assessment.

topekatj likes this.
  12. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Thanks very much for everyone’s comments— It’s great learning about people’s preferences.
    My original -PH was purchased new (upon release) in the Midwest. The Waddells I’ve scored in the Bay Area the past few years certainly sound much stronger (and great, as well) through my SS rig, though in fairness the old -PH had a lot of miles on it. I wasn’t aware of the Bell Sound cut (or the Shelley cut) of RGM until very recently as I’ve never come across either one before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.