ZZ Top/Tejas released for download 04/17/2012 - appears to be original mix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pickoid, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I noticed in my Pause and Play email this morning that ZZ Top/Tejas was released for download today. I checked out the samples on Amazon and sure enough, it seemed to be the original mix with the "correct" drums. I don't think there is a corresponding CD release. Does anybody know any more about this?

It's more a curiosity than anything else. This is my favorite ZZ Top album and like everybody else, I've been forced to listen to it on vinyl because I can't stand the horrible remixed CD that's been out for over 20 years. I might spring for the download to get a decent digital version, because I'm never going to get around to doing a needledrop.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Really, Really blows that there won't be a CD likely of this classic. I hope to see Rhino vinyl issued myself as the remix drums are horrible.

3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Yep. It's the original mix on iTunes, and says it's marketed by Rhino. Went to the Rhino site and the CD they sell is the remixed version. There's no mention of an original-mix download version. Even the description in iTunes says the CD transfer is "spoiled" and recommends the vinyl!
    I haven't A/B'd it to the vinyl yet, but I have a feeling they probably mastered this when they did the Chrome, Smoke & BBQ boxed set. I think the original-mix versions of their '70s stuff on that sounds great.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Well this makes perfect sense. Obviously the majority of fans pining for an original LP mix of "Tejas" are of the generation that only listens to music on their iPhone. No need for a CD. :realmad:

BayBum likes this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Linda Lou can't stand the remix. She wants a good lossless mastering of the original mix.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Another reason to be glad I took care of my vinyl since Nov. 1976.

7. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

I searched for the original Rio Grande Mud on iTunes and it's on there as well.

Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell is the obvious track to check as the two versions are quite noticeably different.

I searched for the first album and, rather annoyingly, some of the songs appear to be the remixes and some appear to be the originals (Somebody's Been Shaking Your Tree is the remix but Brown Sugar is the original). However that's only what the sound clips sound like, so it may have been an oversight by the uploader of those clips.

The originals albums say 'Warner Strategic Marketing' whereas the remixes say 'Warner Bros Records'.

8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I was wrong. After checking out the entire download, it's only partially an original mix. It appears that the songs from this album featured on the Chrome, Smoke, and BBQ box set are the original mix on this download. The rest are the remixes. This is just crap.

9. agentalbert

So there's nothing new. They've just created a frankenstein for anybody who buys the album in download format.

10. S. P. Honeybunch

Better a Frankenstein than some of those 80's remixes. The worst part of any cobbling attempt is that the volume levels of the different masterings might be mismatched from track to track. The CSBBQ box set is rather compressed throughout compared to the 80's CDs.

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Sounds to me like Warners has been reduced to letting Manpower temps run their reissue campaign...

12. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

This is just another example IMO of why the music industry is doomed. They are leaving money on the table by not offering well mastered original mixes for those early albums

Stupid.

Heck WB/Rhino/whoever, even if you don't want to do this, let Steve and AF have a shot.

MrBigShow likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed, this would sell well on CD and on vinyl. Many ZZ Top fans with worn or noisy vinyl who want to replace theirs with well mastered replacements with less noise.

MrBigShow likes this.
  14. agentalbert

Yup. What do they give up by accepting the licensing fee and letting someome else put out a CD they don't want to bother with?

MrBigShow likes this.
  15. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I remember about 10 years ago I bought Tres Hombres on CD. I didn't know that they would ever have the audacity to do what they did, and there was no indication on the packaging anywhere that it was a remix. I was SO disappointed. Why would they ever do that?!?!

16. Myke

There are tales right here in the forum archives that Bill Ham wanted a "modern 80s sound," and futzed with the reverb, and drums. One member here tells of how he got the assignment, refused to do such an injustice, walked away from the job, and they found someone who was willing, and did such a crappy job, that he completed several catalog titles, in just a matter of hours.

17. Pickoid

Pickoid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh, shoot. I must have done the same thing. Didn't check all the tracks before posting. Well, at least I saved my money, and I still have my London LP.

Incidentally, I first heard this album on cassette back in the early 80's. Had a wild electric blue shell, the only one I've ever seen that color.

MrBigShow likes this.
  18. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

i think that's what he meant by frankenstein, it's the 80s mixes except for the few tracks that were on the box set
    right???

19. S. P. Honeybunch

I guess that I meant, better a Frankenstein than all 80's mixes.

20. klownschool

klownschool Forum Resident

I've never heard the remixes...sounds like I'm not missing much. Looking forward to the DL's though.

21. Myke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.