ZZ Top's First Album on London LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Tejas is a great album. The last one they did before they "sold out" (imo). I play "Asleep In The Desert" to demo my vinyl setup.

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

It's funny you say that. I absolutely love this track, but unfortunately my vinyl copy has quite a bit of surface noise on that song ....... :(

The rest of the album doesn't have too much noise at all, but when it gets to that song at the end of the album, it's very noticable because that song is so much quiter than the others.

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

The Londons I tried were too noisy! :sigh:

4. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

Their first is a smokin set for sure and the London LP is wonderful. I have a mint copy dead quiet. They only got better with Rio Grander Mud, their best IMO!

5. BobbyS

BobbyS Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have original London copies of the first 4. All sound wonderful. I know little about London pressings but assume they were all pressed at the same plant?

`

6. motorcitydave

Still too noisy! Now, the WBs...quiet, for the most part!

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Different plants. The first two Lps for example come in 2 or 3 stamped versions.

8. Jeff56

Jeff56 Forum Resident

I have Fandango on a black london label... it's a canadian release. it smokes my WB reissue !

9. I use that lp to show off vinyl as a format to people all the time.

10. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I would like to find a copy of this on London or Warner Brothers, or maybe both.

11. motorcitydave

My WB smokes the London! :D:thumbsup:

12. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Very sweet album. My London copy sounds wounderful.

13. Panthers26

Panthers26 Forum Resident

I have a 1980 German reissue on the way. Anybody know how it compares to the US London original?

14. I'm always searching for the London originals and always find them in poor shape... :(

One day I know I'll find them. I really enjoy the "Eliminator" double RL as well. Another thread around here mentions that it is so much more than what you think it is. I have to agree. Sonically and musically.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Deguello is anything but a sellout, imo :)

16. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

Original London copies of Tejas were mastered at Ardent Studios, Memphis and sound superb.

Later, Chris

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Hang in there, I can't live forever.

Blue Original Londons - first 3

Double RL for Fandango.

:cheers:

18. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

I also have the London recording - great shape - media and jacket.
    The often used term "raw" in this thread is accurate I think. It is
    definately not an "over produced" lp. When I first got it home and set
    it on the TT I thought this sure isn't the slick ZZ Top you hear on the radio all the time.
    It was a nice surprise for me. I hadn't been aware of this recording - just bought it on a whim. Glad I did!

Good listening!

cat9

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yep! Tres Hombres on London = sweet! (Killer Gatefold photo, too, of course.)

Matt

20. Haha, well, I find there is fun in the hunt for 'em, but I'll keep you in mind... :)

We love you on the forum, don't go anywhere just yet!

I've seen the double RL fo Fandango but always in poor shape as well.

I guess I just got lucky stumbling upon a pristine Eliminator double RL. I just love it!

21. Myke

Forum member Chrys is my son, and will post my collection in the classifieds.

My Fandango has no skips, and is quiet, worst thing you can say is the photo inner sleeve is in two pieces, because as a 16 year-old in 1975, I split it with a knife, and hung the 2 sides on my wall. Outer jacket has no splits, and is VG +, vinyl is VG + as well. Sounds killer.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The 1st LP has a great vibe about it, the songwriting isn't as string but the attitude and atmosphere go a long way. The sound is excellent in my opinion. Blue London all the way.

Of the early work, this seems to be the rarest to find, and it goes almost without saying that the condition is usually trashed. This was and for that matter is RnR

23. Dang. I need that! Haha, I guess finding a 37 year old album in great shape is sometimes difficult :shh:.

24. I generally see Blue Londons of "Tres Hombres". They are always trashed.

Don't think I've seen a worthy condition first album Blue London. Maybe I'm not in the best part of the country for old ZZ... Or people hang on to the good ones.

25. Myke

I started a thread on that, but of course I just pissed people off.

I wasn't supposed to NOT dump my albums when CDs came along, and I damn sure wasn't supposed to take care of them either !!! :help:

Truth is, I've always took care of my toys, plus...from 1996-2010, I simply left all my albums and 45s unplayed, which did nothing but help.

:shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.