ZZ Top’s First Album – Original Mix on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grim177, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Got one of those. Its nice because the vinyl takes some of the synth
    edge off and the bass really extends through the mix.

2. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

I believe it's the site linked to right there that's responsible for propagating the October 79 myth.

Buddahbelly - clearly some recordings existed. There's a mention of 'previously recorded unsuccessful attempts' (or words to that effect) with some of the work carried over. I read the posts on that forum some time ago and took it to mean the whole band had attempted to record the album to the dissatisfaction of Warners' who wanted a massive hit record - which lead to Manning and The Rev. going to work on it.

3. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Received and finished the book - not bad at all :)

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

If you are in a Borders or B&N, check out the new Guitar World. There is a feature story on the 25th Anniversary of ZZ Top's Eliminator. Billy talks extensively on amps and guitars and effects etc. and how the studio had just gotten all this new high-tech gear and it ultimately found it's way onto the album. He also discusses talking with Tom Scholz about his Rockman preamp and how Tom customized on for him within a day. Also, there is an interesting story about how they built and "amp cabin," which was them building four walls of different amps facing in on each other with a mic in the middle for recording.

Billy does say that Eliminator was assembled in three stages and briefly mentions a "first stage of recording," which must be the aborted sessions Terry Manning spoke of. There is no mention of Frank Beard's contributions at all (which according to Terry, there were none) and only touches on Dusty's bassline in "I Need You Tonight" because that was the one song they decided not to double with a synth. So, maybe what Terry said is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.