ZZ Top's First Album & Rio Grande Mud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by windfall, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windfall

windfall Senior Member Thread Starter

I have done some forum searches and I *think* I have come to the conclusion that there is no way to get these albums on CD without the remixed/mastered/whatever Eliminator-style drum sound.

Before I start thinking about a needle-drop route, can anyone suggest an alternative I may have overlooked? Some obscure Japan release? Early European? Anything?!?! Thanks in advance.

Stevie

2. Manic Mechanic

Manic Mechanic Active Member

Actually its their second album. The first is "ZZ Tops 1st Album". The first time I've ever been able to find it on CD was in that six pack thing. I think it was in 87 or 88.

3. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

The only way you'll get the original sound is with the LPs or needle drops. I hope they re-issue them at some point. The CDs are terrible.

4. windfall

That's what I feared. :cry: Thanks, guys.

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

First Album got short thrift on the Chrome Smoke BBQ set - only three songs. I have that set; and it sounds good compared to the wretched six pack mixes. But I think you're looking at needle drops here for the two.....

6. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Their Blues compilation from '93 (I think) does justice to some of the tracks from the first 2. Good luck finding a 1st Album that wasn't worn out by it's original owner!

7. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

And no "Back Door Love Affair." :realmad:

8. windfall

Cool. It's their blues stuff that has me hooked. Do you know if this compilation has "unfuturized" drums?

And since there *have* been some restored remasters (such as Tres Hombres and Fandango), is there any sign that the others might also be given back their dignity on CD some day?

Stevie

9. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I got the 6 pack cheap, and it is just fine (for the price).

10. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

The Six-Pack is fine, it's just a matter of taste.

It is sometimes overlooked that it was something the band itself did, not someone outside the group.

11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I once had that ZZ Top Blues CD - and yes, it had the 80's 'awash in echo' drum mix. YUCK. :p

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Have you ever heard the original vinyl mixes? The Six Pack is God-awful IMO, & absolutely worthless. They tried to make everything on there sound like the Eliminator/Afterburner era. Unforgivable, & perhaps THE worst case of remixing in classic rock history. No joke. It's the worst I've ever heard, I'll tell you that. I can't imagine anyone, after hearing the original mixes, having anything decent to say about that wretched "Six Pack". Of course, if you are digitally-enabled only, you're pretty much screwed. In a way, I think my ZZ Top vinyl is probably the most "important" vinyl that I own, & they are not even close to one of my very favorite bands.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  13. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I own the first 2 on cd and there is nothing abnormal about them at all. They are not the same as the six-pack thing. These were just regular standard issue cds, single cds sold individually etc. I am sure they must still be in print right? I really dont understand why they are hard to find. They do NOT feature the remixes and reverb that we all hate so much. You can order these from any online retailer and your quest will be over. I am surprised to be the first one to mention this, it seems too obvious.

14. street legal

Unless these were VERY recently reissued, & it somehow got by me, there is something wrong with this statement. As far as I know, the only 70's ZZ Top albums on CD that have escaped the wretched "Six Pack" remixes are the original WB & Target CD's of "Deguello" & the recent remasters of "Tres Hombres" & "Fandango", along with perhaps a couple of "hits" collections.

15. windfall

Even comparing 30 second samples on ITunes between the BBQ boxed set mixes (non-futurized) and the individual CD mixes, I could tell the difference.

Stevie

16. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

rumour speadin' 'round, in that Texas town...;)

18. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

19. windfall

Could anyone give me a catalogue number for unfutzed with Deguello, please? Be much appreciated
    Stevie

20. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Deguello was not on the Six-Pack, therefore should not have been futzed with.:)

21. windfall

Is this right? the 1984 and 1990 versions are identical?

Stevie

22. street legal

The current, in-print CD of Deguello sounds very good.
    It is the same one that has been out for years. Sorry, I don't have the catalog#. I sold it off to a forum member here after I obtained a mint vinyl pressing.

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Since Fandango and Tres Hombres were reissued with the original mixes, I assumed the others would soon follow. Anybody have any idea?

24. Manic Mechanic

Manic Mechanic Active Member

Yep, I have the current Deguello and I think its great. Cat # 3361-2

25. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.