ZZ Top's Rhythmeen, Mescalero, and XXX Japanese with bonus tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevin5brown, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust. Thread Starter

I didn't know about these until recently, so I just had to get them:

http://www.zztop.com/zznetmaster/zzdiscography/discography.htm

I've listened to them all over the last few weeks, and I really like the bonus tracks. Feels like they fit on the CDs. Not 2nd rate or filler.

I'm going through them now one at a time to confirm the masterings. (Which aren't that great to begin with, unfortunately. Typical too loud, and too hot.)

So far though, the mastering of the common tracks on Rhythmeen are the same between the US release w/o the bonus track and the Japanese with it.

(I want to post this info, because there are some UFO Japanese discs with bonus tracks where the masterings are not the same. Covenant, Sharks, can't remember now. Later stuff anyway.)

I'll get to Mescalero and XXX very soon. :righton:

omikron likes this.
  2. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Interesting to hear that...I wasn't blown away by the bonus track on Rhythmeen so I didn't pursue the other two although I really love XXX's choking on the syrup thick guitar sound. Maybe I will have to reevaluate.

Can you put a little description of the bonus tracks maybe with comparisons (i.e. guitar riffs. great solos, etc.)?

3. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

There's also a Japanese version of Antenna with a bonus track, "Everything".

4. Rapid Fire

Rapid Fire Hyperactive!

I really liked Mascalero. I think it's way under-appreciated.

I'll have to be on the lookout for these releases, I'd love to have the bonus tracks.

5. kevin5brown

I did not know that ! :)

I was actually thinking I could post 1 min or 2 sample of each. Need a few days to do that.

OK, the US and Japanese XXX are the same too.

6. kevin5brown

7. kevin5brown

One more: the Japanese and US versions of Mescalero are the same.

I'm assuming the same for Antenna, but I'll post that one too when I get the bonus track version.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Are you talking about the mastering for the tracks they share in common? Because the Japanese Antenna and Mescalero definitely do each contain one extra track not on the US editions.

9. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I believe he's referring to the mastering. That's how I understood it from his first post -- that he was comparing the mastering.

10. kevin5brown

Yes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.