ZZTop Eliminator: How did you feel about it when it first came out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

To tell the truth, even though I later developed a strong interest in ZZ Top's later stuff, Eliminator was the first time I paid attention to them as a band. That album was a dominant one in my childhood, although I eventually got a bit burned out on it for awhile. Now when I hear those songs, they bring back some great memories.

2. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

Are there any sources of info on this? Just wondering.

3. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident

4. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

I hated it, still do. Sorry, but the 80s synthesizer ZZ Top doesn't come close to holding a candle to the classic stuff.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

On their "First Album" it is noted that the songs were done with minimum overdubs,
    recorded "live" in the studio as it were. By the time they did Eliminator they were on
    auto-pilot. Tejas is probably their best overall album (imo).

6. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Tejas! Chris, drink some coffee, put on Deguello and turn it up LOUD. It kicks Tejas's a$$.:D imo.

Deguello was the last great album for me. I worked in a record store at the time of Eliminator's release and just never could get into it. But the live show that year rocked. Talk about LOUD! Wow!

7. Chris Schoen

Maybe after I drink some tequila! :D

8. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

What was I thinkin'? Pick your poison.:D

Attached Files:

9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I dug ZZ Top in 1971 and I dig 'em today.
    Eliminator was cool.
    I'd rather that than Phil Collins, George Michael or The Cars...anyday.

10. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

11. Chris Schoen

I'll bring the salt and limes!! :agree:

12. Danny

Danny Forum Resident Thread Starter

13. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

14. 905

905 Senior Member

Classic ZZ Top for me, though Eliminator has some good songs.

15. Grim177

Grim177 Forum Resident

You're very welcome guys :)

"Sharp Dressed Men" by David Blaney is quite an interesting read if you can find a copy. It's has several stories about this period.

16. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

I loved it and I still am impressed by how the boys ruled the world briefly with three chords, beards, and fuzzy guitars that spun. Now I can hear how commercial it is compared to their core classics but some of those licks still sound like magic tricks no matter how many times I hear them ... I'm a fan.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Their newest album La Futura is their best in a long time IMHO.

I was in high school and liked it but after picking up the earlier stuff, I like the earlier stuff better.

18. sami

sami Mono still rules

Loved it when it was released. I was living in Charlotte, NC and working as a bartender in a night club before settling down to 'real life', and it was just great party music. Saw them on that tour with about a dozen people and it was an absolute blast.

Since that time I have discovered early ZZ Top and own the first four records. I don't own anything later than that, and probably haven't listened to Eliminator in more than 25 years. It was a fun record that was perfect for that period of time, but hasn't exactly dated very well.

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Liked the videos

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I have always preferred the ZZ Top that went on vacation in 1977, and never came back. :hide:

When the lights came up in 1979, and we saw those beards, we thought it was a gag. Really.
    When I saw them on TV, in friend's homes, that had cable, I thought it was a continuation of the gag.
    I was too busy being a new husband, and father to really care much.
    I've never turned my back on them, but I've never felt as strongly as I used to from 1972-1977.

21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I totally agree on "I Need You Tonight"!

I was 13 as well when this record was released so I ate it up, loved it. Today it sounds dated, which is unfortunate because there are some very good songs here that are fighting their way through the synths and robotic beats. If this record was released in 1973 it would be a classic, not so much 10 years later with that 80s production.

22. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Enjoyed the MTV videos at the time. I was a freshman in college when this came out. :). Probably still would if MTV actually showed music videos. Never bought the album and don't feel the need to do so.

23. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I like maybe three tracks. Sounds very 80s now.

Personally I like Recycler better than Eliminator or Afterburner.

.......and their post-80s albums are much more ZZ. Didn't care much for XXX but I like all the others.

24. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Was 15 when it came out - although I don't play it much now, I probably wouldn't have found all the other earlier stuff without it.

25. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

My introduction to ZZ Top was Tres Hombres and then Fandango, both purchased within a couple weeks or so of each other .

New favorite band!

Of course, I bought the first two and loved them as well. Tejas was very good as well.

Deguello had a couple of warning signs on it for me with it's slick production and novelty songs but overall...still a solid album.

Eliminator was the one that turned me off. I'm happy for the band that it made them International stars but this sound was so far from what I signed up for that I just could not enjoy it. Each new MTV video just made things worse. Then Afterburner continued the slide for me.

Being a completest, I eventually bought Eliminator on CD (have never owned it on vinyl) and years later, it is still sealed. That says more than I could say in words.

I have not purchased anything after Eliminator either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.