Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Just got it today (Thanks Amazon) Played "All The Rage" first - not sold on the new vocal after first listen :(

Matthew Tate, Duophonic and funhouse like this.
  2. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

I cant stress how impressed I am with "Criss Cross". It's literally an instant classic for me. Fits right in like it was always there. In spite of all the hoopla I am less impressed by Scarlet. Now I have lots of Stones boots/out takes so it's possible I had heard it previously. If I did it didn't click. My Bullmoose deluxe is in ME according to the last update from the 2nd. I've had no notice on the clear from the stones website yet.

3. Hush

Hush "Fate, up against your will"

The CD box arrived today. Looks impressive.

I love Criss Cross, Scarlet and All the Rage, really strong tracks. The book is beautiful, and contains my favourite Stones photo, Mick on stage at the Glasgow Apollo in September 73. I'd have liked the book not to have been attached to the box, but that's a wee moan, nothing else. Hugely fond of this record, so I'm looking forward to spending a fair bit of time with this set over the next few weeks.

Forgot to mention, the Piano Mix of 100 Years Ago is bloody GORGEOUS

4. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

Horrible, I really hoped for better as the vocals on Black and Blue were great, but he's back to that really high screech that ruined a few songs on the Some Girls bonus disc too

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I played it all on Qobuz today in Hi-res.
    First the 2O2O version. I have to say I am not that wild about it actually, but it may have more to do with the fact that I have cooled to this album's material noticeably over the last several years. It is true that I have defended GHS elsewhere on this forum as the last "great" Stones lp, but usually temper that assessment with an acknowledgement that it starts to show the band's slide into formulaic rock, and down from the apex of their "earthier" roots-style of Exile on Main St. and previous Taylor-era material. 'Angie' is still a great song ~ which brings me to the Brussels CD. Worth the price of admission,imo, and will be my sole reason for buying this release. The instrumental demos and outtakes hit me as lukewarm at best. As I've mentioned before I am not a fan of their [studio sound] as [what] it had evolved [into] by the mid-'7Os and has pretty much remained ever since.
    But I am grateful (very) for this live set as what I consider to be one of the last documents of the band as they really were while Mick T. was still among their ranks. It will most likely be the last Rolling Stones record I will ever buy. That's kind of bittersweet in a way.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    bobcat likes this.
  6. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Although I'm not the one the answer the question raised, I thought I'd chip in with my two cents. This is not to criticise what as whole might be the best deluxe set so far (Brussels is what the complete Roundhouse should have been to SF), even though GHS as an album is far from SF or EOMS and there are some questions to be raised. I do think that this is a much better effort than previous albums as it actually makes GHS a better and more interesting album.

But, to give you an example, in the Uncut article there's a picture of a tape "Mixes of Master Tracks" with songs like Give us a break, Four and in, Separately (3:55) , Coming Down Again (5.10), Waiting on a friend (4:55) and You should have seen her ass. Now, I'm still waiting for the cd-version (containing the book) and it might be explained there, but I would love to know how many tracks were finished (with and without vocals) during the sessions and if any were reheated on later albums (apart from Waiting and Tops) and why stuff like Separately and Give us a break did not make the cut, or the alleged Winter demo. I know this is not Stones modus operandi to provide such information but, again, there's always room for improvement. The Foxes in the boxes boot showed that even the eighties outtakes/jam sessions are worthwhile. The seventies ought to be even better. Perhaps everything is saved for "Sucking in the seventies" deluxe?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Matthew Tate and TheLoveDrags like this.
  7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Relax. They did the same to me. Lots of companies have done this to me, not just uDiscover. Everything is going to be ok.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All I can say is for the price of the 4 LP set which my copy is shipping today from Acoustic Sounds, for the price, the book should have been damn well included! With that said, happy as heck I have it on the way...

9. depp91

depp91 Forum Resident

For those who are interested in the dynamic range of the stereo and multichannel mixes on the Bluray, these are the respective dynamic range reports:

Stereo:
    Multichannel:

supermd, jhm, OldSoul and 5 others like this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Oh bummer, the Blu-ray Disc has the same stereo mix mastering as the CD! Wasted opportunity....

supermd, bobcat, JonasR and 3 others like this.
  11. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Just a bit better than old CBS CD mastered by Vlado Meller ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Rolling Stones / Goats Head Soup (Japan for Europe)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -0.86 dB -12.06 dB 4:53 01-Dancing With Mr. D.
    DR10 -0.56 dB -14.03 dB 3:59 02-100 Years Ago
    DR11 -0.91 dB -14.74 dB 5:55 03-Coming Down Again
    DR11 -0.97 dB -14.40 dB 3:28 04-Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    DR12 -0.35 dB -16.58 dB 4:33 05-Angie
    DR11 -0.33 dB -13.06 dB 4:28 06-Silver Train
    DR11 -1.67 dB -14.48 dB 4:12 07-Hide Your Love
    DR11 -1.95 dB -16.03 dB 5:31 08-Winter
    DR10 -2.52 dB -14.31 dB 5:33 09-Can You Hear The Music
    DR10 -0.58 dB -13.02 dB 4:28 10-Star Star

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 825 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Got the clear vinyl 2-LP this evening. The cover does look very cool. I think it’s much better than the original. But, they couldn’t use a different photo for the inner sleeve? Looking forward to listening tomorrow.

[​IMG]

13. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Won't be able to get any version of this for several more weeks but it's great coming to this thread and seeing new converts to the album. Glad that the new mix is finally bringing people around.

(We told you so!) :agree::D

14. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

Sheesh, that's lazy. Or just very, very inattentive...
    That's the same inner for the second LP of the Jagger cover double in the 4 LP box. They could easily have switched and had Jagger on the inner here, or, heaven forfend, take a cool photo from the book - the contents of which seem to be totally verboten to those who've gone for vinyl.

15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

You guys are never satisfied. The inner sleeve is not cropped! :D

What about the vinyl? Clear as the Clearly Classic series or more like a translucent white?

16. Great Face For Radio

Great Face For Radio Sing Hosanna, the jazz snobs are all going home.

Got the 2 CD today. I like the three “new” songs especially Criss Cross, and the demo version of 100 Years Ago is absolutely gorgeous.

I know I have cloth ears but is there any difference between the Glyn Johns 1973 mix of Heartbreaker and the LP version?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Tom Wabe

Tom Wabe Forum Resident

True, but I have it - uncropped - in the box.

Matthew Tate and Absjc like this.
  18. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I'm definitely nit-picking, but the extra tracks are actually the point of a deluxe edition.
    There are all sorts of extras going around, but actually I thought I was focusing on what we have, which I think is a bit ham-fisted in the way it was put together - but as it's nowhere near as half hearted as Sticky Fingers I'm fairly happy (although with only ten tracks and just 40 minutes playing time don't you feel a little short-changed that there are at least two more Glynn Johns mixes we're not getting?)
    But on what we've got I love the John's mixes, Cris-Cross, the piano demo and the instrumentals, whilst Brussels is pretty damn good. So yeah maybe I should just shut up and enjoy.

Tom Wabe likes this.
  19. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Absolutely on Hide Your Love. I think this is a song that lost some of the rhythmic strength that it would have gotten on say Exile. Giles puts it right back in on this one.

KeninDC and Spencer R like this.
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nice of you to be frank, Spencer.

21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Saw a single disc version at a store here. How is this remix? I have the Virgin disc and if the remix is good I might acquire it.

22. All Down The Line

Sadly no.

Matthew Tate and Pete Puma like this.
  23. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

To start with - left and right channels are swapped ;).

24. All Down The Line

There was a stand alone legit Some Girls Bonus Disc?

25. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Seems like it’s a bad idea!

Matthew Tate likes this.