Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. al10

al10 Forum Resident

Again> DTS 5.1 compatible ? PCM 5.1 ? Atmos ? But you said your AVR did not handle Atmos ...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. WE WILL FALL

WE WILL FALL Forum Resident

I was never a great fan of this album - followed Exile etc. I too like the remix as a good alternative way of listening to the album for the reasons others have given. Unusually for these remasters, I thought the 2009 remaster was OK in that it worked in one sense by sounding less murky although, like the remix, mastered too loud. Anyway, the 3 'new' tracks are as good as anything on the album so I thought I would go for a different listening experience with a playlist and dropped Coming Down Again - which I read somewhere is a track that people really like or they don't and I'm in the don't camp -and I know some folks might think this is sacrilege but I really enjoyed it the remix in this track listing just wish the DR numbers were at least a bit higher:

1. Dancing With Mr D
    2. 100 Years Ago
    3. Criss Cross
    4. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
    5. Angie
    6. Silver Train
    7. Hide Your Love
    8. All The Rage
    9. Winter
    10. Scarlet
    11. Can You Hear The Music
    12. Star Star

laf848 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Atmos works. Problem is that it knows I have 5.1 instead of 7.1 and mixes it down, as the receiver is 7.1

4. al10

al10 Forum Resident

Queezma said : "..on the blu ray audio menu my amp defaults to Dolby Digital 5.1. > " AT LAST ...

Matthew Tate and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

What’s the news ? Couldn’t find it on there.

TonyCzar and Spitfire like this.
  6. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

There is no DTS option on the Blu Ray....only PCM Stereo, or Dolby Atmos. When I choose Dolby Atmos on the Blu Ray menu my amp plays it in Dolby Digital 5.1 because the Blu Ray is Dolby 5.1 compatible (as stated on the box set info sheet)

7. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

This is my new version of GHS:

Cross Cross
    100 Years Ago
    Heartbreaker
    Angie
    Scarlet

Dancing With Mr D
    Silver Train
    Winter
    Can You Hear The Music
    Star Star

8. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

OK, but the "downmix" shouldn't turn discrete rear info into an ambient mix.
    You might want to double-check that your AVR isn't in some strange configuration from watching a movie or playing a stereo track in surround.

Do you own the Abbey Road blu ray?

9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

From the look and sound of this, I am guessing his playback system is his iPhone speakers.

hiterss likes this.
  10. al10

al10 Forum Resident

Can I ask for the link ? /About Dolby Digital 5.1/

11. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I’m with @Carl80 , I don’t care about:
    Book placement
    Overdubs
    1973 vs 2020 vocals
    Atmos or 5.1
    Lettering on the spine
    Clipping
    Brickwalling
    Compression
    Clear vinyl delays

It’s the freakin Rollin Stones in 2020! Sounding good on my back deck. Even the house wrens are boogying.

Carl, add to the above list of you want.

12. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

It’s awesome that we are still getting new/touched up Stones songs in 2020. We are very spoiled. I can’t fathom why some are complaining about details that really aren’t important in the whole scheme of things.

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Amen to all that :agree: I’m not bothered about these things either, ive got nothing to add to the list what I can think of :laugh: I’m just glad there’s a GHS box set full stop, the book and pictures look incredible, outtakes are great as well, very pleased.

14. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

As I understand it, in the evolution of surround sound from DVD to Blu Ray, there's alway the lowest common denominator of 5.1 surround available to keep the audio "backward compatible."

"7.1 TrueHD has a 'core' stream of lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital (AC-3)"

Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

supermd, al10 and Queezma like this.
  15. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Okay, I've now had time to listen to both records in the 2xLP edition.
    Sadly, it isn't good news.
    The pressing is brickwalled to Hell.
    There's obvious distortion on the higher frequency vocals.
    The new mix strips away the 70s and makes GHS sound like a James Blunt record.
    The vocal bump in the mix, especially on Mr D, is jarring.
    I'll be honest - I can't see any reason to keep this (and I'm usually not that picky. I'm no audiophile).
    Everything that was great about the original release in terms of the mix and presentation is lost here.
    I wanted to love this release - it's such a shame that they went with a remix and not a simple repress (which I'd assumed I was getting at pre-order stage).
    As it stands, it's a soulless, bloated mess, and I just can't listen to it (YMMV).

16. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Oh, yes. Abbey works fine

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Amen

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I’m re-reading the Dancing with Mr. D book from the Brussels box. Amazing photos. Hope they used a lot in the new book.

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

This is the funniest post I’ve read all week! I’m nominating it as Post of the Week.

20. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Well, also 20 year old ears do that.

bmh5879 likes this.
  21. Terry

Terry Senior Member

just thought of something. Are the blu ray bonus tracks stereo only, as they were playing in all speakers at the same volume

22. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Care to explain? Or just happy to be an ass for the sake of it?
    If it's the latter, you're instantly on ignore (new policy - don't take it personally - I just don't have the time nor the inclination).
    If you like the new mix, that's perfectly okay with me :thumbsup:

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

24. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Fair enough, but you buy anything the Stones put out no questions asked. In short, all the above is saying is the Stones are above criticism, you’ll accept any old release and buy multiple editions of it. Which is fine, but not the way most people approach these kind of reissues.

25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

There are many things I can say about this release but most of it has been covered......BUT.....

KEITH on BASS on SILVER TRAIN....

Man, he's tearing it up !!!!!!