Nat "King" Cole - All-Purpose Thread (was "year by year") - Part 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

It may be a complete collection, obviously done with love by a devoted fan. Being both low on cash and worried if they were played on a record grinder and wrecked they'd all be trashed, I didn't bid. But I was hoping a fan would chance it. I hope they're in great shape. Very nice item in any ah, case.

2. apileocole

Top two in particular are super! :)

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Miss Me is in the collection also. The original 45 is quite likeable. As issued on 45, it has never appeared on LP or CD -- is that right?

I will try to get a photo of the inside page when they arrive in a few days. As for a list of the titles, their list from the auction will have to be re-done. Their formatting is wonky.

4. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Agreed! I wonder why Cole's estate stopped releasing the shows to iTunes a couple years back. They made a big deal about how they were cleaning and fixing them up and were going to make them all available. After a handful of episodes, they just stopped and pulled the ones they had already released.

The image with Mercer reminds me that about 15-16 years ago, I was on a business trip. At the end if the day when I got back to my hotel room, I turned on the tv and caught that complete show. It was definitely a treat. I think that was the first time I had seen an episode of the show since I was a kid. Didn't BET air some a few years back?

5. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Correct. In order to get the original version, you have to get either the 78 or 45. The 78 version pops up on eBay fairly often, but I've only seen one, now two, copies of the 45 on there.

dale 88 likes this.
  6. apileocole

Yeah. It's not been reissued on a comp and 32 years into the CD age, nobody* has done a Nat singles set.

* = well, there was "the Classic Singles" box that didn't actually have all his singles. Even the PD and gray market folks haven't done it yet.

:idea: ...Universal?

cricket.gif

Perhaps there were some unrealistic expectations for kinescopes of 1957 video telecasts that had gone without significant marketing for 55 years expectations that weren't met; for one reason or another the deal was pulled. Though what they're waiting for now is anyone's guess.

Complain, gripe. Sorry. But our clocks do keep a-tickin'.

So a neat pic (desktop wallpaper size) from the popculturefanboy blog (iirc):

glennwallichsfriarsroast1.jpg

L to R

Glenn Wallichs - Dean Martin - Stan Freberg

Frank Sinatra - Danny Kaye - Gordon MacRae - Nat

7. apileocole

Not sure if it's been posted before, so here's a pic of Nat with arranger extraordinaire Pete Rugolo in the studio:

Pete-Rugolo_Nat-Cole.jpg

Also, the Coles in Italy:

The Coles.jpg

From ebay:

1952-trade-ad-on-ebay.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    DLant and hodgo like this.
  8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Too bad that Johnny Mercer wasn't in that photo.

9. apileocole

True, but Mercer probably had to be somewhere else worser.

...And in honor of whomever gets that obscure "joke," here's Nat with Johnny Mercer!

dale 88, DLant and coleman like this.
  10. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I honestly forgot all about this. I hope there is actually something new in this one (other than the new song and I wonder what the plans are for that). All the Nat documentaries are pretty much the same.

I like the poster. Looks like it wasn't quite ready: Featuring artist one, artist two, artist three, artist four, etc...
    image.jpg

11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Long gone from Capitol by then.

12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

No, I don't think so. I saw a review of the new "Live In Tokyo" CD and it specifically mentioned that the source for the bonus tracks is the BBC TV show that has been available on DVD for years.

dale 88 likes this.
  13. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

14. kennyluc1

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Really nice view Kenny. I appreciate your collection. :love: I would be afraid to store my NKC & FAS box sets up that high here in earthquake land. :cry:

kennyluc1 and Simon A like this.
  16. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Keep the faith.

apileocole likes this.
  17. kennyluc1

thank's don't know why just wanted to see how it looked online.

18. dale 88

Bebo Valdes arranged much of the Havana Cole Espanol and undoubtedly played on it. Awhile back I posted a photo of an older Bebo. Here are few of the young Bebo along with a shot of Sarah Vaughan, Bebo Valdes, and Nat King Cole in Havana. Don't know the year. It could be they are sitting in the Tropicana nightclub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

apileocole, coleman and jtaylor like this.
  19. dale 88

`
    Continuing the association of Cole and Valdes, in August last year(?), daughter Natalie Cole and son Chucho Valdes appeared at the Hollywood Bowl.

[​IMG]

kennyluc1 likes this.
  20. dale 88

RARE 45s

I have found some 45s that are quite rare. There are four 45s -- Capitol swirlies. They were listed in the Bear discography and are the foreign language versions of L-O-V-E and another song sung in either Spanish, Japanese, German, or Italian.

The existence of these 45s prove two internet sites wrong. Wikipedia continues to claim that some of them were never issued until found by someone at EMI Electrola.

In 1983, an archivist for EMI Electrola Records, EMI (Capitol's parent company) Records' subsidiary in Germany, discovered some songs Cole had recorded but that had never been released, including one in Japanese and another in Spanish ("Tu Eres Tan Amable"). Capitol released them later that year as the LP Unreleased.
    I don't think they were ever released on an LP called Unreleased either.

Another internet site devoted mostly to Capitol 45 swirlies, lists all four as "most likely never pressed" !
    They came up at a recent auction from Arizona. I had already found the Spanish language 45 record and posted about it in a previous year -by-year thread in 2010.

The Japanese language 45 record #5330
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will put the others in separate posts.

21. dale 88

The Italian language 45 record #5331

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tu Sei Cosi Amabile / L-O-V-E

22. dale 88

The German language 45 record #5332

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mutterlein / L-O-V-E both in German

23. dale 88

The Spanish language 45 record # 5333

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tu Eres Tan Amable / L-O-V-E both in Spanish

24. dale 88

For whatever reason, the Kareha (Autumn Leaves) disc had the most bidders.

All four of these discs were issued in 1965.

25. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Very cool, Dale. You should update wiki with the correct info and set the record straight. (No pun intended.)