Michael Jackson's "Thriller" - It was Toto Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gener8tr, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It seems like their reputation might benefit from a 'Toto Family' set (2 discs?) with all of Toto's top 30 hits, plus the other hits they had something to do with, whether writing, arranging or playing. The recently Bloomfield box has an instrumental versions of Like a Rolling Stone and Tombstone Blues to illustrate his contributions. Maybe they could get instrumentals of some of the Thriller material or something.

On a separate note, I've always thought it would be cool to do a 'Byrds Family' box set, where it starts with the Byrds (or Beefeaters or the Jet Set) but includes Gene Clark's solo stuff, some Flying Burrito Bros, some CSN/Y...

Maybe they should do something like that but for Toto.

George P and MMM like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I'll throw a simplistic reason. Their main singer, Mr. Kimball, was not exactly a poster boy.
    Once we were watching TV, and while the "Africa" video was being aired, one of my friends told that she knew the song but unaware about this "Toto" band. Back to the video, watching David Paich she said "looks like a fat Gerard Butler". Ok, women usually like Gerard Butler...but watching the close up of Kimball singing "♫♪it's gonna take a lot to take me awaaaay from youuuu ♪" she instantly said that he was one of the ugliest guy ever to appear on a music video; the other ladies agreed. We're talking about a bunch of girls in their 20s and early 30s.
    I schooled'em a bit about Toto and their talent, explaining they played on many successful albums (even Thriller) and that the guys actually can play and sing without studio trickery.
    Still.. "yeah, but they're ugly":shrug:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    mozz, robertawillisjr, Purple and 2 others like this.
  3. Well, this is the thing. Did they get their names edited out of the album credits? No. Did the acts they played with deny their involvement if asked who played on their albums? No. He just seems pissy that no one is thinking along the lines of, like, "Hey, remember that smash album Thriller by Michael Jackson...and Toto!!" Or "That George Benson with Toto album was really smooth!" Combined with a dash of Billy Joel-style lusting for "rock credibility" and it makes for a most unbecoming package. Geez, get a grip baby. Chill out in one of your mansions with some pharmaceutical grade. Enjoy your yacht.

Drop the dye job though. It ain't foolin' anyone. :)

4. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I didn't and I bought the album. But then (for some unknown reason) I wasn't a big fan of Toto. Good music but I never bought their albums.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yes and I would go further....

If, and I realize this is a big IF, they had a bit of Donald Fagen or Walter Becker in any of the main songwriters, Toto would be a far more interesting band and held in greater esteem. Conversely, if Steely Dan records were populated with by the numbers, cliched lyrics they would be viewed as a great sounding but pedestrian band, imo. But they had a dark, sarcastic, ironic, intellectual what have you, edge to a lot of their songs which, to my ears, gives them far for staying power.

Cracklebarrel and driverdrummer like this.
  6. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Unfortunately I think that you are probably right. Image has become more important than talent.

7. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

On a somehow related note, Joseph Williams has done a lot of soundtrack uncredited works too for his father. Most of the source cues or pop stuff in John's films were done by him. The Fury (Hold You), Space Camp, Return of the Jedi (Ewok Celebration, Lapti Nek), The Phantom Menace (Augie's Great Municipal Band), Attack of the Clones (Chase Through Coruscant, Dexter's Diner) Artificial Intelligence (techno music), The Accidental Tourist, Jaws 2, etc...

John wrote and orchestrated, but the midi programming and session playing was done by him. Perhaps they included other Toto musicians in those sessions.

Carserguev and theMess like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Lots of fat guys with mustaches/beards having hits in the mid 70's to early 80's, then MTV came along.

Burning Tires and Mechanical Man like this.
  9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Can I just point out that Toto's original demo of "Human Nature" is crap?

Seriously. You would NEVER know it would become a classic. Something about grade school bullies.

10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I really miss the Toto sound on the radio. The last songs I remember with the Toto magic on the radio were Madonna-Cherish and Go West-Faithful.

krock2009 and bruce2 like this.
  11. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

I see it a bit differently. Why shouldn't he and his band be credited for all their work? It's not like they are lying about doing the playing, so why not expect some credit for their contributions? I'm sure it's more than frustrating for him to look around and see "artists" that can't write music, can't read music and can't play an instrument get superstar status
    yet his contributions to legendary albums goes largely unmentioned.

theMess likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Exactly, and especially when those 'artists' get hits by illegally sampling his music without even crediting him.

13. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

How much more credit do they need?
    toto.jpg

14. Raf

Raf Senior Member

"WE were Michael Jackson." — Steve Lukather

15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I never said that Luke and the rest of TOTO should not be recognized for what they've played on, but for him to always go on endlessly that they have somehow been overlooked is plain old silly. If he is THAT worried about it, why doesn't he pay to have one of those great little documentaries made, like "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" or "The Wrecking Crew", which tells all about the fine folks that played on hundreds of important records and who were also unknown to 95% of the world, before those movies were made?

16. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Toto is and has always been a faceless band. They lacked charisma, image, attitude. When the hits dried up, so did their fans. Drug abuse and band turmoil (and probably poor management) didn't help.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not to take away from Steve Lukather's talent, but I never once thought "that's Steve Lukather" when I heard Thriller (or any other LP he's played on). But I knew immediately it was Eddie Van Halen (and not even someone else trying to sound like him) on the Beat It solo.

spindly and MartyMiller like this.
  18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

"Human Nature" sucks, the best part about "Beat It" was Eddie Van Halen and the other two great cuts ("Billie Jean" and "Wanna Be Startin' Something") didn't feature Toto, so no, wouldn't call this album a great Toto achievement.

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always liked Human Nature.

In fact, the only song on the album I don't really like a lot is "The Lady In My Life", come to think of it. It sounds like an unfinished demo.

bru87tr likes this.
  20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Screw Toto-Thriller is really a Vincent Price album!

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I bet he really did the guitar solo in Beat It!

BigManRestless likes this.
  22. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Heard at 5:38: "we told Jann Wenner to go f _ _ _ himself"

heh, heh, priceless.:righton:

mrob0000 and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  23. This is the other thing. Lukather and the other Totos may be stellar musicians but they have zero personality or musical character. They're born session musicians. Lukather grouses about versatility not being seen as a virtue - well, it is, but it's not a virtue that's going to get you recognized beyond the confines of the biz when you've made a habit of being a sideman.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Just being able to say "I played on Thriller" should be good enough for anyone, shouldn't it? I mean, really...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

How much more credit do they want than this?

groovelocked, JMAC, MMM and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.