Michael Jackson's "Thriller" - It was Toto Album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gener8tr, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Thats funny, I heard the same thing about Rush when I was in high school.

2. Uri Cohen

Uri Cohen Forum Resident

Toto would had better albums if more people enjoyed the Hydra material. I mean we know that IV saved them from their record contact, but come on! There are only so much love songs people can handle before you will go NUTS!

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  3. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

I often find myself saying "That's Jeff Porcaro" when I hear his drums.

4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

That was more of a testament to Jeff Porcaro's genius than Toto. Toto were musically sound, but lyrically mediocre.

24voltsdc and Uri Cohen like this.
  5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Agreed. There's talent and there's style. Porcaro had both.

24voltsdc, MMM and krock2009 like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure I believe "RS" ever wanted to put Toto on the cover. They were rather "faceless" and unlikely to sell many magazines, and I don't think "RS" put other bands in the same domain on the cover - I couldn't find out where acts like Boston and Journey and Foreigner but I don't think they did.

As told in the interview, Lukather has made it impossible to be proven wrong, as he claims that even if Wenner and "RS" deny their desire for Toto to be on the cover, he knows it's true. Unless Wenner says "yeah, we wanted Toto on the cover", it's a no-win proposition.

I'm in the category that Lukather's story is an exaggeration, if not an outright fabrication. Maybe "RS" wanted to do an article on the band, but I don't think the mag would've put Toto on the cover...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Damn.... now THAT is BAD...
    That's like saying he lacks the looks of Quasimodo.

Carserguev and Endymion like this.
  8. Yeah, I suspect the truth is closer to, Lukather was in bed balled up in a fetal position surrounded by RS issues and sobbing "Please Jan, give us a cover..."

redchiro likes this.
  9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Only Toto song I ever dug was Georgy Porgy. Love them on Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees, though. I can take or leave Thriller. Usually leave.

10. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

When the "Africa" video was launched, MTV was already active, but you're right. Image has become more and more important.
    Nowadays, guys like Bobby Kimball or Boston's Brad Delp, one of the most incredible vocalists ever, would never get signed by a record label.
    That's why we got Milli Vanilli at some point.

ha ha, gott show'em some Geddy footage.
    ...back to the Toto video, in "Africa" Kimball is not even featured prominently.
    I am waiting for the day my female friends can see the "Hold the line" video, for a full Kimball-fest.

theMess likes this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Did Jeff in fact drum on Cherish? I love the groove and it is easily my favorite from its album.

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I listen to most Toto albums more than I do Thriller.

Carserguev likes this.
  13. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Why not? The album won 6 Grammys and sold millions. Total cover story fodder. "These guys are all over the radio and just won 6 Grammys, but who are they?" Why would it would be a photo? I can easily see an illustration of the band (even just their backs or silhouettes) walking down the yellow brick road toward a Grammy representing Emerald City. Or "Somewhere Over The Radio". "If They Only Had Respect." Some dumb Wizard Of Oz pun.

Take a look at the RS covers from 1982. Far less than half actually feature music. Makes sense that in 1983, they were looking for music stories to put on the cover...

14. Oatsdad

We'll never know the truth, but I simply think that if "RS" never put Boston or Journey on the cover - bands that I believe were much more popular than Toto - I find it hard to believe they'd want to run a cover story about a faceless band of studio musicians. Heck, Foreigner and REO were HUGE in 1981/82 - and allegedly Wenner loved Foreigner - but neither of them made the cover, as far as I can tell.

"RS" didn't have to look for music stories to put on the cover - if they went with non-music, that was out of choice, not necessity. There were tons of likely musical acts who could've been on the cover.

Toto sold records but I don't think they would've sold magazines. Getting on the cover of a magazine isn't about merit - it's about sales, and I simply find it tough to imagine a cover story about Toto would've moved the needle.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

What a ridiculous position to take regarding Thriller. He's a studio musician, as are the other members of Toto. It's as much a Toto album as it is a Seawind album, which is to say, it isn't. I don't think I've ever heard that Toto arranged any of the instrumental music on Thriller. I thought it was Quincy Jones and Jerry Hey.

Anyway, can you imagine if Pauliho da Costa went on the internet and demanded recognition for the 25 zillion records he's played percussion on?

groovelocked and Mechanical Man like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Watching that interview makes me think Lukather has a huge honkin' chip on his shoulder...

17. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Isn't that part of the deal though when you do session work? I find it a bit unprofessional (for a guy that is supposed to be such a professional musician) for him to come out and complain. It would be totally different of course if they weren't credited on the album (which of course they were). You are doing work with legendary superstar Michael Jackson-did he really expect Michael to say on all of his press interviews for Thriller that "sure, I am happy with the album but I owe all of my success to members of the band TOTO! Give it Up for Toto!!!!!Sing it!,I Bless the Rains down in Africa!!!!......

groovelocked likes this.
  18. ginchopolis

6 Grammys and 3 million copies?

What part of that are you missing?

Are The Grammys not "The Best" of music, much as the Emmys, Tonys and Oscars are?

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I didn't even think about it until I saw that episode of "Yacht Rock". No disrespect to Toto, but they did not make Thriller, they contributed to it. Thriller is a Michael Jackson album, and the only reason people bought it is because of MJ.

If you desperately want recognition from the press and the public, you need to be a star. If you are happy making music, then just make music. Unrecognized talent is almost a proverb.

Look at films, many people can name famous directors, but not many can list off the producers of those films. Yet there is a reason the producers accept the Oscar for best film. The industry and your peers will recognize your contributions, but the public wants to be dazzled by stars.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

IloveMichael28-2650189_650_451.jpg From Clipboard.jpg
    I can see how people might confuse the two.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

How do we know it was really Toto? Maybe it was these Japanese guys.

DmitriKaramazov and PH416156 like this.
  22. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

I don't think he's that worried.....it came up in an interview. Obviously pissing Jan Wenner off has it's consequences in the music biz.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  23. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

It came up in an interview with a type A personality. If somebody interviewed me, I'd tell them I deserved more credit for my music than it got too. I do not believe Steve has made it his life's mission to get more glory for his groups studio work, but I do see his point.

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's a Michael Jackson album. Why does the guy think he should get any more credit than he's already gotten? Sounds like he has a bit of an ego.

25. ginchopolis

I shouldn't be here (as people rarely read the OP and just respond to the thread title), but I'm shocked at how many people didn't listen to the interview to see what was actually said before responding.

Carserguev and mrob0000 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.