Ryan Adams - Love is Hell MFSL vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Great news. The only Ryan Adams album that I don't have on vinyl (not counting Whiskeytown).

2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

According to MusicDirect's Facebook page today:

The wait is almost over. The Mobile Fidelity Sound Labrelease of Ryan Adams/Love is Hell is on its way to our warehouse as we speak! If you haven't done so already, place your preorder below and we will ship it to you as soon as we receive it.

3. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

RA and Universal (Lost Highway) seemed to always be in constant conflict, so it's not a surprise that they wouldn't be willing to share their masters. Not sure what they could get out of a 16/44 source that would make it worth the cost of this set, other than just having more money invested in your analog rig/MFSL nice mastering chain to make some pleasant souding EQ moves. That said the original US 10" vinyl certainly sounded pretty meh, so this certainly wouldn't take much to outdo that one.

4. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where did you read the master they're using is only 16/44?

5. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

I started cataloging my rock records on discogs over the weekend. In the process of completing the "A" (artist's name) section, I came across a sealed copy of Love Is Hell. I must've filed away a long time ago and forgot about it. LOL. The 10" record got buried among the 12" LPs, so I couldn't see the spine. Now I have a conundrum. Do I open it or keep it sealed? After all, how many sealed copies of the original pressing could there be? I could just pick up the new Mofi as my play copy.

6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Until I hear otherwise, why are we to believe they are using a high res file. If UMA was willign to provide hi res files, why not the actual master?

7. rocky dennis

Just received the Music Direct Newsletter, which states Love Is Hell is shipping next week. Cost is $65. Audiophile reissues are hell!

otherdimension likes this.
  8. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Keep it sealed. It's not worth opening because it doesn't sound all that great!

rocky dennis likes this.
  9. rocky dennis

Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

jumpinjulian likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Keep it sealed only for your own satisfaction. Given its reputation, I would think the market for a sealed copy of this release wouldn't command a premium of any sort (except to an extreme collector).

I have 2 copies of the 10' release and they both might be the worst warped records (shy of sitting in the sun) I've ever seen. Then add in the non-fill....

11. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I returned and had to mix and match 2 different copies just to get to Lps that would play, and even then they were still warped.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Sorry, but this is crap. First it's 2 10" records, now it's 3 in an expensive box... Can't we just go back to the golden age and release single and double 331/3 LP records that bums like me can afford?

13. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

The assumption can go either way, as to what the source for the Mofi is. I'm sure many labels would prefer not to loan out masters for releases, but it's easy enough to make a copy of it. I doubt Mofi getting a hi-resolution digital copy for the release would be that difficult, but yes, we don't know since this is a Mofi Silver Label release.

14. glide

glide Forum Resident

This release has an additional 7 tracks on it. The 3rd record is completely necessary.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I would be happy if they just stuck it all on an SACD and be done with it.

mikeyt, Jeff Minn and PBo like this.
  16. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Agreed..."Black Clouds" is one of my favorite songs from these sessions.

17. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

However...where the heck is "Black Hole"? I guess it's never coming out.

18. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

I am so looking forward to this album. I hope MOFI does more of his

mikeyt likes this.
  19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

OK, but I'd like a standard edition as an option, rather than only what is really a "deluxe" box-set.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

If you are not a collector and want to keep it for completness sake you should sell it sealed. Now! Because once the reissue is out prices for originals will tumble.

BTW: I've had two copies of this 10" and never had problems with it. Of course it is not "Dark Side Of The Moon" but I don't think it sounds bad or horrible.

21. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

My wife loves LIH as much as I do
    So i can buy the vinyl without guilt. I've got the 2 CD ep.s but i need the bonus tracks.

22. Myriong

Myriong New Member

How do you guys rate Love is Hell as an album? It never gripped me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
  23. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I rate it highly, love the album. This House is not for Sale is a wonderful song, the cover of a Wonderwall is neat, and English Girls is also an incredible song. The rest, for me, are "album tracks" which I really enjoy listening to nonetheless. So I put it up there in his very best albums.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Didn't she tell you? She's ok with the CD. :)

25. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Yep, my wife loves R.E.M, at least most of the pre-Automatic albums. So I was buying the IRS and MoFi issues for her to listen with me. She appreciated the gesture, but deep down inside you could tell she was calculating the cost when she already has the CD's and wondering what this madness is all about. A head shake and a smile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.