Dexter - Season Eight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

2. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Man, I watched the entire series in two weeks on Netflix, which I firmly believe is NOT the best to watch any show. Nonetheless, I was had the time because I was sick, and I got to bed too late a few times...

So there were plot holes all over the place, even though I didn't take time to dig into it. I just chalked a lot of it up to creative license (how could Dexter realistically be off the job so often?), and/or relieving the viewer of the tediousness of cleaning up murder scenes (these guys are pros so we must assume they can clean their murder scenes without having to watch them do it).

I thought that Dexter killing Saxon in a prison was crazy, and that both Quinn and Batista would look the other way was unrealistic, and/or implicating themselves in a scandal that would eventually bring down the entire department. I think the final scenes, including the above, as well as Dexter taking Deb's body out of the hospital would result in eventually tying Dexter to the Bay Harbor Butcher. Plus, Lumen is still out there as a potential witness.

I don't think Deb needed to die. It seemed unnecessary. Dexter living served those viewers who rooted for him, and was one of the three possibilities for Dexter anyway (he lives, dies, or goes to prison). With Deb, I don't think the plot or the viewers were well served, so I don't see the point in having her die. Did she have to die to make Dexter truly realize that he destroyed everyone's life who got close to him? That's debate-able.

I'm glad Dexter lived, but I wish he would have stayed with Hannah and Harrison and been a father who taught his son to avoid becoming what he (Dexter) became. That kid would probably be scarred either way. Still, Dexter will most likely be caught in Oregon.

Nonetheless, I miss my two weeks with this guy. I'm in Dexter-withdrawal. I might watch it again from the beginning but take my time.

As a side note: I made the mistake of discussing Dexter as an analogy for my own occasional emotional "blankness" or "distance" and noted that people close to him (Rita, Deb) frequently struggled with it. Although my "dark passenger" is annoying things that happen at work for the most part, and a variety of real-world worries. I would imagine that a lot of people with more limited range of emotional display might relate to Dexter in some respects even though being a psychopath is not even on the same plant as not having a lot to say because of work stress or financial worries.

slipkid likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Damn. So what season was your favorite?

I wish he could have ended up with Hannah too. But why do you think Dexter will be caught? Who would be looking for him? He left sufficient reason for people to believe him dead, but I don't remember if he had been implicated again as a killer. Seems Hannah and Lumen are the only living people who know about him. Since you just watched it, I'm sure if fresher in your mind and I might be forgetting something.

4. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

So many unsolved murders. I really don't know how these things work in real life. Laguerta figured him out. Suspicion about Dexter was out in the open due to her investigation. Then she died under unusual circumstances. Then Deb died and Dexter "died". I think that if one were enterprising enough, there are plenty of potential reasons to suspect Dexter. Also, it's impossible for Quinn and Batista to have not noticed the strength and efficiency with which Dexter killed Saxon, and then not think back on Laguerta's suspicions. Of course, who knows if a busy homicide department would pursue closed cases?

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

But did Laguerta reveal her suspicions about Dexter to Quinn and Batista? I thought she only went to Matthews with her theory.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

No, the producers have said that Dexter got away scott-free, but will be tormented and anguished by leaving Miami and abandoning his child, which is basically his punishment. Who's to say they won't try a TV movie sequel in the future?

Note that in the original Dexter novels (which are still being written), Dexter Morgan was never discovered and is still living in Miami, working for the police department. So it's a question of which reality you believe: the TV show or the guy who created the characters.

7. tommy-thewho

The tv show veered away from the books after season 1.

I always thought there was a lot of good stuff in the books they could have used in the tv show.

Tex_Writer, Vidiot and Scotian like this.
  8. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Laguerta left behind a box of files about Dexter, and in Season 8 it is shown that Batista gets them, but that plot development never went anywhere.

--Geoff

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Sloppy.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Pretty much sums up the writing for this show the last couple years IMO.

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Just finished .....WOW

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Just re-watched seasons 1 - 3 on Netflix. What a great series when it was in its prime. Went downhill after season 3. Couldn't get the enthusiasm to re-watch season 4 - the John Lithgow season wasn't that great, and it went slowly downhill from there, but still watchable. I was thinking: if any series could be brought back, this would be at the top of my list -- if done right (like seasons 1-3). Show Dexter starting anew in his lumberjack job, but move him pretty fast into the Caribbean or someplace like that, as a better setting for the new seasons. Michael C. Hall ain't doing too much right now - he's pretty typecast. This could be a good move for him.

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Funny, I thought the Lithgow season was perhaps my favorite. But overall I agree the last few seasons weren't nearly as good as the first few.

Scott222C, fiendish_thingy and subzro like this.
  14. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Someone is wrong on the internet! :)

I thought season 3 was the weakest, and season 4 was teh bestorz.

--Geoff

subzro likes this.
  15. Vidiot

My take would be that Batista would mull it over, weigh all the evidence, and realize that everybody Decter ever killed was a criminal (except for that suspicious cop Dexter blew up in the swamp house). He could well just bury the evidence on the basis that there's no solid proof, it's all circumstantial, and everybody involved has either vanished or died. There were a lot of dead-end plot and character threads in the show; here's a few...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/ways-dexter-went-wrong#.fey1xArP1

I liked the show, but good god, too often it looked like the writers were just throwing crap at the wall and seeing if it splatted.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

That was true in the later shows. Seems like the writers were just phoning it in. They'd need a new writing team with renewed enthusiasm. Deb would be gone (but that's a plus!). He could re-unite with Hannah and his son. And with a new cast of characters and new ideas. If I were Michael C. Hall, I'd sure be thinking about it.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Hall was getting $1M a show in those last couple of seasons, so he's got FU money. I believe Mr. Hall is doing Broadway for the moment, starring as the title transexual character in Hedwig & The Angry Inch. It's funny to think of the dour Dexter Morgan dressing up like a hot chick and screaming rock & roll tunes... :eek:

Thomas D likes this.
  18. tommy-thewho

I never cared for his 6 Feet Under character.

I agree Seasons 1-4 were outstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.