Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Hi, Gary. I have no doubt that it's enjoyable, and that the sound is good, maybe even preferable, depending on taste. The Walsh is definitely not "true mono," so the phasey quality you hear is understandable. The Avid does, however, use the MFSL LP as a source, which has its own set of problems.

Not to beat a dead horse, but on this title and "No One Cares," there are lots of good issues out there, and it's really hard to say which is "best." My comments on the scorecard for the MFSL were "wrong tapes; sub-par," and for Walsh the comments were "Good, but...Mono tape played on a stereo machine; does not sum well to mono."

In fact, on that particular title, I didn't even really choose a "winner." The closest I came was "Winner?" with a question mark, along with "probably mint original issue or 1984 UK LP."

in a nutshell, this title needs a high quality reissue, IMO.

Matt

2. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Matt, of course it all comes down to personal preference and I have no intention of selling either (I have most albums double; Walsh and UK), but to my ears the differences between both versions is more clear for A Swingin' Affair than on SFSL, mainly due to the difference in image; not based on tonality which I find quite similar on a Swingin' Affair.

3. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

I'm just checking out your website, it's spectaculair! I see that SFSL is a Walsh remaster. I personally prefer the Walsh, but I had the idea that the UK version was based on further generation tapes (vocals sound a bit muffled), if this is not the case, how would you explain the sound difference between the Walsh and UK version?

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Matt, one thing I notice about the scorecard is that there are no original Capitol LPs noted. Are none of the original LPs as good as the reissues ? I have several that I like the sound of.

5. MLutthans

I can re-check the mastering off of those two to confirm; it's been a while!

The scorecard was really meant as a guide to the assorted "complete set" Capitol issues, the Norberg-based Concepts box, the Walsh-based Concepts box, the UK box, the MFSL box, the UK vinyl box. One thing about the gray labels (and later rainbow labels) is that the quality can vary quite a lot from pressing to pressing, so it's hard to make a blanket statement about them being best, worst, or anywhere in between, i.e., a D31 might sound great while an identical-looking N16 might sound so-so. The box-set editions listed on the scorecard should have a pretty consistent sound, copy-to-copy, while the original USA reissues do not.

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  6. MLutthans

Just picked up a like-new copy of a 1974(?) Japanese pressing, #ECP-88155, and it's very disappointing in terms of sonics, with a Kardashian-like midrange hump. Ah, well, at least I got it for cheap.

The cover is textured, as is the same-vintage Sings for Only the Lonely that I've got from EMI/Toshiba. Too bad the sound isn't better!

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Wow! I always thought you could bet the house that the 70's and 80's Japanese pressings were gems. Maybe so for the 80's when the vinyl supposedly got a lot better, huh?

8. MLutthans

Yeah, I've got, I think, 6 different titles, and they are all over the map. "I Remember Tommy" is the best of the bunch, as I recall, but it's also Reprise, not Capitol, of course. My "Come Dance with Me" is good, but not great, and my 12-tracks-in-stereo "Sings for Only the Lonely" is definitely "well above average," but the 12-song Dutch LP tops it sonically. IIRC, the clips that a couple guys submitted for the Songs for Young Lovers/Swing Easy comparisons were really excellent. I think Close to You was Duophonic, IIRC.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I'd expect a large bottom hump in it then.

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  10. MLutthans

What did those Aussies do to their cover of A Swingin' Affair? Is it me, or does it just look.....off?
    SinatraSwinginAffairAustralianCover.jpg

CBackley likes this.
  11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The black levels look way off - too gray/light. It also has more "stuff" at the top.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Alternate photo from the Swingin Affair shoot. Back then they had a removable sunroof in dancehalls. I thought you guys knew this stuff?

;)

13. MLutthans

MFSL SACD #210, ordered late last week, just arrived. First impression of the first track? Hoochee mama, this sounds nice. :)

DLant, rangerjohn, wave and 4 others like this.
  14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

WOW! High praise very quickly!

15. MLutthans

This has always (to my ears) been a much more "hi-fi"-sounding album that SFSL, and the SACD sound quality just jumps out and grabs me as being spot-on. The SFSL disc is great, but this one is in another league altogether, IMO, due to the different recording style (and different studio). Absolutely top grade. To steal a line from Martin, this is the best I've ever heard this album sound, and by no small margin. (First impression.)

[Question: Is the tail of "At Long Last Love" clipped off on other versions? It seems to be so here, but maybe it's always been that way??]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Seems to bit a bit of "clipping" on these final releases. Hmmmmm

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Same ending on the Walsh CD. I haven't had a chance to check other versions.

BTW, the MFSL track runs ever so slightly faster than the Walsh, and it has better dynamics. Unlike the Walsh, it is pure mono (as it should be).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    rangerjohn likes this.
  18. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

I like the added depth of the dancehall, but the pic looks washed out.

19. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Nice to finally have this SACD, as GOD only knows how long I've waited for it!

I had this, along with the new SACD of "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" to listen to this morning and I chose this one first and it sounds nice, although I hear a bit of "clipping" on the highs throughout "A Swingin' Affair". I must also admit that I'm not nuts about how Rob LoVerde clipped the tape hiss at the end of each track, as it ruins the playback, in my opinion. Shawn Britton did a nice quick fades of the tape hiss, at the end of each track, on "Songs For Swingin' Lovers". Otherwise, a nice MONO version of "A Swingin' Affair", worthy in any serious Sinatra collection!

rangerjohn likes this.
  20. MLutthans

Similar style on Where Are You:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...s-on-mfsl-lp-sacd.294645/page-29#post-8527839
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...are-you-1957-album.205245/page-7#post-8528830

rangerjohn and Chris C like this.
  21. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

EDIT: Nevermind, called MusicDirect.

22. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Songs For Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair -- shipped and on there way!

Is this really happening?!?!? :yikes:

MMM likes this.
  23. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Yes it is!

Mine came today from Music Direct. They shipped on Friday. SfSL sounds fantastic! I have #239.

My Swingin Affair is #188

-Robert

MMM likes this.
  24. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Robert,

It seems my order was filled immediately after yours - my serial numbers are yours plus one!

SFSL does sound great, but as Matt said, ASA is in a different league.

I have never heard FAS sound as "in the room" as he does on this.

I was stunned by the SACD layer, glorious music, even better sound than SFSL.

It was worth the wait IMO.

MarkusGermany and Bob F like this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Part of that may have to do with the difference in recording locations. SFSL was recorded at the Melrose Avenue studios; last Sinatra album to be done there. ASA was captured in the Capitol Tower.

bozburn and mikrt17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.