Ryan Adams - Love is Hell MFSL vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not the biggest Ryan fan on the block but I love "RnR", "29", "Cold Roses" and this.

2. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

My OP sounds great. I'm still getting this because I've wanted a legit version of those bonus songs for years.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You could put all 23 songs on 4 sides, but each side would be a squeeze at around 25 min. And it would no longer be the same release per se with some bonus tracks on the same side as non-bonus tracks.

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This is now in-stock and shipping. I didn't pre-order, but placed my order today (along with another item), so I should have the Ryan Adams by Friday/Saturday.

IGD Positive likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just saw that this is 85€ on German Amazon. So...if you think this set is expensive in the USA just try and convert that into Dollar;) Anyway, I'm out and will stick to my original 10".

kingofstoneage likes this.
  6. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Where is shipping before the 25th?

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

gramfan likes this.
  8. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Really - overnight! Wow. I would surmise regular FedEx Ground would be no more than 2 to 3 days and so much less expensive. You have waited this long, another day or two couldn't have "killed" you. :) Hey no problem. Let us know what you think when you get yours.

As I indicated, my copy is scheduled to drop tomorrow (takes two days from Chicago to NJ - Regular Fed-Ex ground $7.00 shipping).

10. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Yea. I'm impatient...I once chased a mail truck containing my Gram Parsons bootleg CD I payed a arm and a leg for....anyway..it didn't pan out for the 24 dollars I played for the shipping for Ryan lps...not getting here til tomorrow..ordered too late yesterday....it was birthday money any who...no big..:0)

11. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

My copy is scheduled for delivery by noon tomorrow! Whoo Hoo then a quick wash through the 16.5 and then a spin or maybe 2 or 3 or well 4 LOL

gramfan likes this.
  12. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Just opened mine! So only can report on the packaging but my goodness what a beautiful box set. I guess I was expecting some sort of gatefold / trifold, not a pretty box and large lyrics insert. So, so far I am very impressed. We will see about the sound, which is what people really care about of course, tonight or tomorrow.

SRR1138, mikeyt and pghmusiclover like this.
  13. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

It's great to see that people are just now ordering this set from MusicDirect and already have their copies in hand. I pre-ordered mine over a year ago and it's not scheduled to ship until Monday. Not cool, MusicDirect!

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I preordered when it was first available, so mine was preordered at least a year ago also, longer I think.

15. KLF.

KLF. Active Member

I hope it means it wont.
    The original was raw.
    Why suck the life out of it and make it sound dull?
    Ryan is so anti pro-tools and computer and anything digital has been since he parted company/contract with his record label a few years ago.
    He won't have anything digital near him in a studio these days.
    March 3rd is the vinyl release date in the UK £59.
    I won't be pre-ordering it.
    KLF.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  16. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

KLF do you understand what "horribly pressed" means?

EL34, mikeyt and jimhb like this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This pre-order stuff really is crazy. I ordered mine about a year ago and still don't have it. Venders obviously give no consideration to the timing of orders.

18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So anyone feel like talking about the... you know... actual SOUND QUALITY?
    I know it's a low bar to clear, but IMHO this pressing beats the pants off all of Ryan's LH pressings. And Heartbreaker for good measure. (My pressing is Cobraside, I've heard the original Bloodshot is slightly better but noisy.) Dead-quiet vinyl, lovely dynamics, great sound stage. A huge improvement over the CDs (and, apparently, the crappy original vinyl press... although I don't own it so I can't compare).

And while some might view the bonus tracks as excessive, I think the last couple in particular are well worth having: "Gimme Sunshine" dates back to his first solo tour in support of HB, and "Black Clouds" is every bit as good as the bulk of LIH. Crazily enough, this is also the first time they've been officially released in ANY country outside Japan.

As for the sourcing: "The entire original main album (tracks 1-16) were mastered from original masters. Some of the bonus material including songs released in other countries, originally were mastered from the best sources that could be authenticated." I take that to mean original master tapes, but I guess it could be hi-rez digital. Regardless, it sounds stunning on my rig.

PBo and Paully like this.
  19. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Agreed. You are one lucky individual. I've had 5 that were warped with non-fill, even lower quality than most United pressings I have encountered.

jimhb likes this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is this the Heartbreaker that Bernie Grundman remastered? I've had poor lucky getting a good pressing as well.

AtlTrav likes this.
  21. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Anybody Want To Take Me Home is one of the best songs he's ever done. I liked the version off Love Is Hell more than the version on Rock N Roll.

Was thinking of getting a bit more Ryan Adams on vinyl so may give this a look!

22. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like this album, but I'm still on the fence due to the high price.

Also, someone on the Mofi Facebook page made this comment:

23. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

I have a vinyl rip of the original 10" Love Is Hell and it's a different mix than the CD version.

24. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I noticed that with Shadowlands as well. I assumed it was proof that they obtained the original masters for this vinyl reissue, rather than simply the hi-rez digital files for the CD.
    I prefer the "original" solo too, but it's not a deal breaker.

25. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Unless I'm wrong, the two versions are identical, except they edited the R'n'R cut down by a couple minutes.
    This song was actually cut for Love Is Hell, but then when LH balked at putting out the album and Ryan submitted R'n'R instead, he added it in as he felt it was too strong a song to just "throw away" on the LIH EPs. Then, when the public actually EMBRACED the LIH EPs (and rejected R'n'R), Lost Highway made the smart decision to put Anybody back in the proper sequence when they issued LIH as a single full-length album.
    Definitely one of Ryan's more convoluted releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.