Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I had an answer from Ron back in Dec or Jan... and 12 titles was al for now, if something changes he will let us know.
    I'll think you could translate that in; if sales are ok for the new 33rpm series they could do some effort for other titles.
    45rpm series => 2500 copies
    33rpm series => 3500 copies , that means they need 1000 new members...

2. 1878

1878 Forum Resident

Make that 1001 new members as I've got quite enough listening to do with the 45 series and not bothering with the 33.

3. Michel Jazz

And when they come up with other titles ?

4. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Cherry pick. I am in the same boat as 1878 on this one. I have the complete 45 rpm series from both AP and MM. So the new series is just too redundant to subscribe.

5. Michel Jazz

I'm glad I skipped the AP's , I'm holding the Idle Moments and Blue Train in my hand... awesome covers. No need to convince me about the sound quality of the AP 45rpm's.
    I do not think they are lesser good then MM's, but the 33rpm are very nice and fits perfectly between the 45rpm's on my shelf.:agree:

6. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

For the ammount of 45rpm subscribers that MM will lose, they will more than gain in 33rpm subscribers with their high quality and reasonable prices. There are many people like me that wouldn't bite at $50 but at $35, it is just right.

JMCIII likes this.
  7. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

You're right! I did bought a couple 45 rpm but in Canada the price is more like around 60/65$. I prefer the new price so I can have two great records for the price of one 45rpm. I'm still waiting for them the 33rpm to arrived....next week maybe...

8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I always said that if Music Matters had made these Blue Note LPs at 33 rpm instead of 45 rpm, I would be a subscriber. I wasn't kidding. :)

9. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Update: I went through 3 sets of the "Point of Departure" and each exhibited the same clicks on the last track on Side 4. All 3 sets were non-numbered. Thumbs-up to the MM team for the top-notched customer service anyhow.

I recently acquired a numbered set of the same album and that does not have the clicks. So, something must have gone slightly wrong during the production run. Perhaps the stamper was damaged?

10. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

MM sent you three copies? :confused:

The reason I ask is that I'm having issues with the new mono Blue Train. The first copy I received was scratched on one song so I asked for a replacement. The second copy they sent me was scratched all over on both sides. When I contacted them, I was told that they would just give me a refund. I don't want a refund. I want a replacement copy.

I guess I'll just pick up a copy from Music Direct. I call that disappointing customer service and no way to treat a subscriber.

11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

The problem with MM is the music limitations. I'm an Art Pepper fan so had to go to AP. As usual the sound quality is fine however both discs needed cleaning and the packaging is the usual crap.

12. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Yes, from what I understand they wanted to reissue just a few titles that they either never got to do at 45, or ones they felt were the cream of the crop of ones they did. I too wish there were more, but I'll be happy with what comes. ANYTHING from Music Matters is first class all the way,

13. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I'm really surprised to hear that. Not that you had problems with the discs -- that is the sad nature of vinyl; for me, it is a 30-40% defect rate, sometimes higher, no matter who presses it or produces it. But I'm surprised that you were treated that way. MM's customer service has always been the very best. I hope that isn't' changing.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

AP's Pepper releases are older releases and were not pressed at their QRP plant. In all fairness to AP their packaging has gotten better over the years with some new releases getting the gatefold treatment. I clean all new vinyl on a RCM no matter if it's Music Matters, MFSL, or AP and replace the sleeves. I've never had an issue with an AP record regarding sound quality either.

15. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Based on my limited interactions with MM, I get the sense that they would do ANYTHING for their subscribers. Sorry you didn't seem to have the same experience.

16. nesnith

nesnith Forum Resident

Yea, I received three copies in total from MM. The original shipment, and then two replacements successively (after returning each defective copy). I was offered a refund at first, but I asked for a replacement instead, and they were more than able to accommodate.

Blue Collar Man likes this.
  17. Blue Collar Man

I'll send them another email. It's possible they got side tracked and forgot to get back to me.

18. Blue Collar Man

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I've sent them another email. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

19. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.