Walking Dead on AMC (part 3)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I agree, I liked Glenn in the first season and the one after this season's break, but it's been downhill ever since Hershell blessed the relationship.

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

They modeled Eugene's personality almost exactly like Rain Man's.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

same thought came into my mind when he said that.

4. Michael

yea, get rid of the newbies before they take hold...

5. Michael

now that's funny!

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The newbies offer the only potential for something, anything to happen.

JimC, jriems and noname74 like this.
  7. Michael

something happens in every episode.

8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, but it's basically the same something every week. The show has been on cruise control for quite awhile. The last episode offered the first interesting development, if it is indeed a true development, regarding the how and/or why of the zombie apocalypse since Rick revealed that they were all infected with the virus. I hope that they go to Washington and bring an actual story back to the show rather than continue on the current path of zombie go boom.

DreadPikathulhu and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

I think your hopes may not come to fruition...but, I can see your point and how you feel. I do not feel the same. I just go with it...

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

This is what I was alluding to when I mentioned the sense of purpose from the first season. In those initial six episodes, they were trying to get somewhere to discover something, and there was a compelling reason to keep watching. I feel like if seasons 2, 3 and the first half of 4 were compressed into a single season or a season and a half, you'd have a much leaner, meaner show. I hope they're getting back on that earlier track now.

DreadPikathulhu and Encuentro like this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Its amusing how some just refuse to accept the premise of this show. You pine for "resolution" as if there is any possible explanation that could make the least bit of sense or stand up to the slightest scrutiny.

Marry a Carrot likes this.
  12. Michael

real life has no place in this show...total fantasy...it's all about survival. Actually it would be worse than portrayed... The living would be just as deadly as the zombies...a glimpse of their true reality would be the scene where Rick is hiding under the bed...he knew he was close to death. No rationalizing their world.

13. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Of course there is. We already know that all humans are infected. That's a small part of a possible future resolution, a key to the puzzle. The show has to go somewhere. Otherwise, it goes nowhere like a car stuck in the mud. It's been stuck in the mud for about 2 and half seasons. It was far more fascinating when they were heading to the CDC, when they had hope. Resolution is a part of storytelling. The show has to go somewhere. Bashing zombies in the head week after week isn't much of a premise. Searching for answers and having an ounce of optimism that the characters will find those answers is a premise and a reason to continue watching for those of us who feel that the show hasn't been going anywhere and value good storytelling.

utopiarun and JimC like this.
  14. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

If you think the show's been going nowhere for two and a half seasons, you're expecting something you're never going to get from the show.

15. Michael

exactly...just go with the flow...it'll be a surprise instead of wanting to control the story the way one feels it should go...like knowing what's inside the wrapped present. Enjoy it! for what it is... no way we can pull this apart to make sense as there is nothing in our reality to compare it to...

JimC likes this.
  16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I think they should have found the One-Armed Man and exonerated Richard Kimble in the first season of The Fugitive. The show would've been awesome after that!

17. Michael

we would have never seen the show in color then! big back then.

18. Solaris

I don't see it so much as the premise as I do lazy writing intended to pad out a thin storyline. It's pretty obvious to me and others that this is exactly what they're doing. I know a lot of people like the (soap opera) vibe this creates, but I'm not one of them. I see tremendous potential here with some really interesting characters (which is why I keep watching).

19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I have always thought that I am watching a show about the slow but steady end of humankind.
    So if you really desire a resolution then you would probably want them to speed it up and end the show.

20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've been watching from 1.1 with my kids while also watching season 4 on my own. There's a great moment in an early episode when they are back in the city trying to rescue Merle. Glenn comes up with a strategy to retrieve the bag of guns and maps it out for Rick and Darryl. Both are a bit gobsmacked and Rick turns to him and says, 'What did you do before all this happened?' and Glenn, deadpan, replies, 'Delivered pizza. Why?' I miss that Glenn.

DreadPikathulhu, Hawkeye and jriems like this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

You complain in one post about the show taking the predictable tact (the confrontation between Glenn and the soldier), yet you're saying you want the show to follow standard convention and move towards a resolution. Why? Why does it have to move toward some solution or explanation? There isn't going to be one that makes sense. When the show started, there was lots of discussion about the "rules" the zombies followed - are they still alive, or are they reanimated by some supernatural force? Do they breathe? Does their digestive system function? Do they need human flesh to survive, or are they perpetual motion machines that need no source of fuel? How do their sense organs still function? Is there a cure? All of those questions for which there is no rational or consistent answer. I don't see how there can be any explanation or biological agent or cure or anything that would explain all of observed behaviors of zombies with any consistency. There just isn't one. So why must you (and those pining for "resolution") have one? That's not the point of the show. The show is about existing in this world. That's it.

22. DreadPikathulhu

If the show ends without any sort of resolution, Walking Dead discussions will mirror those in the "Lost" thread, endless griping about the unanswered questions.

I realize that some of the audience are perfectly satisfied with zombie bashing, but it's going to start losing viewers if they don't give people a compelling reason to tune in next week.

23. Solaris

Right. Because what the world needs now is not a soap opera/documentary on the zombie apocalypse. I'm not criticizing the show for being predictable or unpredictable, I'm criticizing it for lacking dramatic tension.

24. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Do you mean resolution to why the dead are coming back? Because the writers have already said that will never be resolved.

25. DreadPikathulhu

Honestly, I think that is lazy writing. If the series is just going to be following an ever-changing cast as they move from place to place to face the situation of the week, then I might as well re-watch Lost in Space. Modern television can be better than that. Who is going to buy the inevitable complete series set if there isn't some kind of resolution at the end? You might as well start with any season as it's just going to be the same as the others, but with different faces and maybe a different location.

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.