Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drh

drh Talking Machine

No, it was four or so of the violin sonatas. I don't remember the violinist's name of the top of my head--not one well known to me.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Owned it once on an Odyssey LP.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Concertmaster of the Cleveland S. O.? Rafael Druian—did not get that one, should have, recall the quartets fondly.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Szigeti I think.

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm back home now and have had a look: it's Druian, Columbia MS 7064 (alas, in a late, "no eyes" pressing).

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks coopmv and Robin L.

I just ordered "El Cant De La Sibil-La " and "La Sublime Porte - Voix d'Istanbul 1430 - 1750."

Robin L, I'm a big early music fan, and it just so happens that a track by Ensemble Alcatraz is one of two of my top favorite EM recordings ever. Things I could put on repeat and listen all day. (Well, not the second one because it's only on vinyl)

The two are Toda cousa que aa Virgen on "Visions And Miracles" by Ensemble Alcatraz, and the other is a motet entitled Ad regnum/Noster cetus on "Plainchant & Polyphony from Medieval Germany" by Schola Antiqua (on Nonesuch).

I bought Visions And Miracles on vinyl when it first came out - have it on CD now too. Loved the vocals from when I first heard it.

Robin L likes this.
  7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yes, the two Ensemble Alcatraz/Nonesuch CDs are marvels. Susie is balanced a little low in these recordings, has a bigger sound in the flesh.

This is my favorite Early Music Vocal, Emma Kirkby and Evelyn Tubb in "Chiome d'oro" by Monteverdi. Please excuse the patches of distortion, obviously not on the original.

dajokr likes this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Unfortunately, commercial rentals in many locales have been going up and many store owners are simply priced out of the market.

9. Rudolph Serkin / The Busch String Quartet - Brahms Piano Quintet - MONO
    Turnabout/Vox - Moss Music Group U.S. - 19??
    Recorded by EMI on October 13, 1938.

[​IMG]

This recording doesn't have a lot of dynamics to it. Almost sounds as if the speakers are wrapped in cellophane. Guessing this is due to the 1938 recording date. What equipment would EMI U.K. have been using back then?

10. Also, what ever happened to Vox/Moss. I used to see their CDs in every CD store's classical section in the mid-late 1980s. Then the label seemed to disappear.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The cellophane on the jacket is obviously causing that. :laughup:

Robin L likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Has more to do with the lame mastering found on most Vox/Turnabout reissues of historical material. The EMI 'References' edition LPs and CDs are better.

drh likes this.
  13. :laugh: :thumbsup:
    Thanks Robin. That LP then, is going back to the thrift shop where I found it a few years ago. I'll have to search for the EMI CD now or maybe an EMI vinyl version.

If anyone can point me to a link... Thanks.

14. Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra / Zubin Mehta - Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture / Romeo And Juliet Fantasy Overture(20.20)
    London - Decca U.K. - 1970
    U.K. export pressing for the U.S. and Canada

[​IMG]

Deadwax: -9W /
    -4W
    Lacquers cut by Harry Fisher (W) @ Decca Studios, London, U.K.

[​IMG]

The cannons just went off. Scared Koko, one of our two Pomeranians who was in the listening room with me. She ran off. :laugh:

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'd stay away from LPs. Understand, I'm generally agnostic in the CD vs. LP debate, but I make an exception for reissues of 78s: in my experience, at least, LP issues of 78-derived material, no matter the label, were simply awful. They were the reason that I early on started collecting originals. Some CDs derived from 78 RPM records are actually pretty good, and the batting average of the format overall is much better.

Robin L likes this.
  16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Right—nothing quite like an off-center 78 needledrop on an off-center LP remaster.

drh likes this.
  17. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Anyone have any interest in this? PM me

Miniature replica of the bust of Mozart in the Concert Grove Section of Brooklyn's Prospect Park which was presented to the City of Brooklyn by the United German Singers of the City First Prize at the 18th National Saengerfest held at Philadelphia June 23, 1987.
    Seems to be made of cast iron with a bronze coating. Very nicely detailed! It's quite heavy weighing in at 13.7 ounces.
    Has tiny air holes and imperfections from molding process typical of 1897
    It stands 5 1/4" high and is 2-1/2" wide at the shoulders.
    It says "MOZART" on the front and the back says "18th NATIONAL SANGERFEST CITY PRIZE PHILA 1897"

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. coopmv

Earlier today, I listened to the SACD layer on the following recordings for the first time ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

john greenwood likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

...with a sharp 12 dB/octave rolloff applied starting at 1 kHz to dull the surface noise.

Robin L and John S like this.
  20. coopmv

[​IMG]

I only have a small number of Sir Colin's recordings on RCA since I have most of his recordings on Philips. As such, this set is pretty tempting. The set sells for £41.43
    on Amazon UK but sells for $122.56 Amazon US. Why such big price difference?

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Speaking of original 78s, I'm working on splicing into a continuous performance my set of Schumann's Violin Cto. with Menuhin and Barbirolli, which spreads the work across seven 78 RPM sides. For my money, this (as it happens, the first recording outside Germany, and maybe the first period) is the performance of this unfairly maligned work to have, the one I know that most clearly explains why I consider it unfairly maligned. Menuhin plays with total commitment and passion, and Barbirolli proves a sympathetic partner. Biddulph released a transfer some years back that was really quite good, for those who are interested. Alas, I think it's out of print, and unless I'm mistaken those Biddulph releases tend to carry a fairly steep price tag now.

22. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yes, unfortunately, they do. :sigh:

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I have this on a CBS Holland pressing early 80s. The only one I found that was listenable. Ormandy did a very nice Holidays Sym on RCA (red seal) which is worth checking out. The sonics are much better than for Bernstein.

24. coopmv

I have the Bach Partitas performed by Glenn Gould on a 2-LP set CBS Holland pressing from the 80's and the press quality was just as good as the Philips. It was too bad just about all CBS American pressing records were craps ...

25. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

006.JPG
    Fine playing and good sound, which for some reason I didn't expect on this Vanguard CD from 2005. No clues as to the origin of the tape. Richter does a Haydn Sonata, four Debussy Preludes & a short Prokofiev piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.