Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #53)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

How funny, just heard the 1812 at Disney Hall with thhe L.A. Phil and Simon Bolivar together on one stage with The Dude conducting. It was fun.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

3. john greenwood

Actually - a lot of titles at ImportCDS at discount (close-out?) prices. Especially Pentatone, but other labels as well.

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No more HIP Beethoven Symphonies for me as I already have three versions (Hogwood, Gardiner and Goodman). I still prefer modern instruments and am not sold on HIP for Beethoven ...

sgb likes this.
  5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Well what a terrific thread, over the last few days I have read all thirty odd pages , and thank you.
    Really don't know why I have not contributed, I tend to go to " new posts" and miss this page. Another thought when listening can I be bothered finding and posting, if I knew how, a photo of the LP I happen to be listening to. All though I do appreciate people who do this, surely you can't do this while being involved in what you are enjoying.

6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Welcome! That was a real act of dedication to wade through everything. I know we'll all look forward to your joining the conversation. As to photos, don't let them hold you back; they're nice but certainly not mandatory--I seldom post them myself when writing about something that I've found interesting. (Admittedly, I do a bit more now that I've learned how to grab an image from, say, Amazon rather than creating and uploading it myself.)

7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I would not call it wading, it was a pleasure, interesting discussions on things that interest me.
    As I tend to do when slightly drunk I am listen to standard repertoire, back to old favorites.
    Brahms Symphony Number One - Boult a truly lovely EMI from 1973.

John S likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'll confess that I've never warmed to the Brahms First (in any recording; it's the composer's fault, not any performer's), but No. 3 from the Boult cycle is a long-time favorite of mine. At first I had it joined with one of the serenades on a single disc. So when I found that the entire cycle, and much besides, could be had in one of those EMI omnibus boxes (I think the title is something like "Sir Adrian Boult: from Bach to Wagner"), I promptly jumped on it. If you have any unwanted gaps in your Boult collection, that set might be worth your investigation.

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Hi guys, time to visit this corner again after a while. I spent two days in a row at the Philharmonie and heard some interesting stuff.

Yesterday it was Mahler's 5th symphony, though I have to admit, there was too many brass in it for my taste. The movement I enjoyed the most was the 4th, very beautiful (and also completely brassless :D).

Today it was a very varied program. First was Saint-Saëns' "Cello concerto no. 1" in a very energetic and passionate performance. Great stuff. The audience cheered so long that we got an encore - "The Swan". Nice!

The second part was a bit more modern, the 2nd Ballet Suite of "Bacchus et Ariane" from 1930 by Albert Roussel. I had never heard of the guy, but this piece was quite a ride. It starts very soft (Ariadne sleeps and dreams), but gets wilder and wilder as it progresses, only to end in a truely excessive "Bacchanale" that almost made me jump from my seat. [​IMG] Far out!

dale 88 and John S like this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It doesn't require training in acrobatics. When I take out the record and put it on the turntable I prop up the cover take the picture and then play the record. I don't necessarily post the file while the record is playing although it is almost always done the same day.

11. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

A quick side trip from reading a very interesting discussion...

Since I am just dipping my toe into opera, do you think that the Opera News magazine might be a good thing to read now and then just to learn new things and pick things up?

I was also considering something like Opera For Dummies. :)

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

For Christmas, my wife gave me one of those "The Great Courses" sets on how to listen to and appreciate opera. Now, I've been listening to and appreciating opera for years, but all on a "self-taught from album notes when present" basis (I started with 78s, with no annotations at all); I've never had a formal course in music appreciation, and I'm finding that it's actually quite enlightening. Might be worth your while to investigate.

Hawkman likes this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Who was playing the cello in the Saint-Saens?

I rather like this version of Bacchus et Ariane. From Naxos in 2007, Deneve and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
    [​IMG]

14. John S

John S Forum Resident

Maybe that's why I've always loved B1 with a glass of sherry....;)

15. John S

John S Forum Resident

More boobies.

16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I have one of the individual discs. Don't remember why I purchased it -- it must have received a good review somewhere.:) It includes Symphonies Nos. 2 & 6. I just re-listened. It is semi-HIP. It seems that only the trumpets and kettle drums are original instruments. "Vibrato control" is used, whatever that means technically. Less vibrato was only occasionally noticed by me in the upper strings. Here is Philippe Herreweghe's introduction so you can see if it is to your liking. I found the disc interesting, but then I often find Herreweghe interesting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just about everyone of us attach the links from Amazon or from other internet CD stores. Those images are usually readily available. It gets a bit more challenging when an LP is involved because such image is rarely available online. You will have to take a picture and upload it if you really want to do it ...

18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

William Kapell - Chopin Mazurkas ( RCA)

Mr Bass likes this.
  19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

002.JPG
    For you Dame Janet fans. I had never heard the Mendelssohn & Liszt songs. Recorded 1968,1975,1979 & 1980.

20. Mr Bass

Go to Amazon under Books and type in the word Opera. Plenty of introductory kinds of books come up. When I was in college in the prior century Grout's A Short History of Opera was the standard non technical text but it is rather academically written. It could well be in the local library. I occasionally pick up a copy of Opera Now a UK mag. It's the best written IMO but assumes you have some familiarity with the basic repertoire. Opera News does too. Good pictures in Opera Now. I would suggest the online services which allow you to listen to selections for a small monthly fee. There is also Bachtrack a website with concert and opera performance info. The site does have some streamable opera (Past performances) from the Met and a few other places again for a modest weekly or monthly fee around $15.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Hawkman likes this.
  21. Mr Bass

I never warmed to Brahms Sym 4 (the last 2 movements in particular) but find Sym 1 enjoyable. I like Sym 2 as much as 1 with Sym 3 a step below. It's interesting all these various preferences and antipathies.

22. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

23. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

How it was?

I think that, at that time, Mullova had already matured and relaxed. So one can expect to hear a personal take on the works at hand. Yet, I didn't got it at th time it was still available.

Today, it's avalable as hirez downloads, but so far I've still had my reservations. If there only was Brahms or Bruch concerto instead of the one by Ludwig van...

24. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Actually, not familiar with them, but I had them from library sometime ago. Not earth-shattering. Decided not to buy the box. On the other hand, at the price you can get it... well... It certainly beats some of the historically informed Beethoven sets I've heard. Besides, Herreweghe has worked also quite a lot in Paris (e.g. Orchestre des Champs-Élysées) and I think he somehow embodies more French (than English or German) geared sensitivity: in that sense the set could be fine alternative to Germanic sort of mainstream. (From a standpoint of small culture it's always funny to try to compare the products of major cultures: English, French, German, Italian, or Russian take on Bach/Beethoven/Debussy/younameit.)

25. john greenwood

Well - as I said, I don't need another Beethoven cycle, and this seems to get mixed reviews. I'll let it pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.