Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: Songs for Swingin' Lovers - Released 1956*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

^ How can we tell which one is "correct"?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

That is an interesting thing to ponder, isn't it? The master, of course, for this album, consists of spliced together pieces of the raw session tapes. "Intuitively" -- an intuition can certainly be wrong -- it seems that, say, "We'll Be Together Again" should be significantly quieter than, say, "I've Got You Under My Skin," and in terms of the amount of sound energy in the room during the session, I'm sure that was the case, however, it's hard to say 1.) how much (if any) gain riding was done during the session; and 2.) what sort of adjustments could have been made during cutting.

Regarding #1: I virtually never (maybe flat-out "never") detect any "mixing moves" on John Palladino's recordings. (Now, A Swingin' Affair? That thing has mixing moves going on constantly, and it drives me batty.) I suppose it's possible that, knowing there was going to be some very loud stuff on tunes like "I've Got You Under My Skin," he may have dropped levels a bit to play it safe, avoid distortion, etc., OR he may have slightly raised levels somewhat on the quieter tunes on-the-fly at the session. (I don't really think much of that went on, but it's certainly a possibility, and I don't think overall gain riding was that uncommon. Also, I'm sure that John was doing some knob-twiddling as needed, but he was the master of subtlety and making changes that go unnoticed. The guy was good!)

Regarding #2: I have no idea what sort of cutting instructions may have been used on this title. It's possible that some "leveling" may have been noted for LP cutting, i.e., raise track two by 3 dB, drop track six by 2 dB, etc.

My guess?
    Side one, as a whole, of the Centenary LP is in the ballpark of the session dynamics for tracks 1-8, and side two is in the ballpark of session dynamics for tracks 9-15, but at an overall lower cutting level. (Maybe cut on a different day or by a different engineer or something? Who knows?!)

The MFSL is likely closer to the "final intent" for the released product?????

Other thoughts??

rangerjohn likes this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It would have been interesting to compare the MFSL SACD with the corresponding LP version. Maybe we can still compare the Centenary, SACD and original MFSL LP?

rangerjohn likes this.
  4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to give the new discs a proper review eventually, but I played the new SWINGIN' LOVERS! MoFi again today (and replayed about half of it again later on) and I have no doubt its the most true to the masters of any release of this album - barring some unknown spectacular vintage cutting of it, and even then I can't imagine it's going to be less so overall. It's like a gift that this disc was released.

paulmock, DLant, Simon A and 5 others like this.
  5. Haven't stopped playing my copy since I got it 10 days ago...at least once a day to get my fix of these great songs, and the sound coming from the Mo-Fi SACD from both layers is simply GLORIOUS...the best I've ever heard of this album in ANY incarnation, analog or digital!!!:cheers:

paulmock likes this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Would a waveform comparison between an early D pressing and the MFSL LP shed any light on the original intent?

7. MLutthans

The MFSL LP (1983) used the wrong tapes, so that one's "out."

8. MLutthans

Here are sides one and two from a D cut that I own:
    Screen shot 2014-03-03 at 10.17.05 PM.png
    Just for reference, here's the new MFSL that we all seem to agree is the best the album has ever sounded:
    [​IMG]
    And the 1997 Centenary EMI LP:
    [​IMG]

In the end, waveforms are waveforms, and there are multiple ways to interpret this stuff. The MFSL sounds great! The only smoking gun I see is that side two of the Centenary edition appears to be cut at a lower level than side one.

rxcory likes this.
  9. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Oops, I meant to say an early D LP and the MFSL SACD, but it looks like you figured out my intent anyway. Thanks for those waveform photos Matt.

10. MLutthans

It looks as though this album was available in its original 15-song format in the UK long after it was abridged to 12 songs in the US. Anybody have one of these versions?
    SFSL UK3.jpg SFSL UK2.jpg SFSL UK1.jpg [​IMG]

rxcory and rangerjohn like this.
  11. MLutthans

^^^^^There was also a purple-label variation:
    437253b.jpg

12. MLutthans

I've started to re-build my taken-down webpages for "Songs for Swingin' Lovers," and a few LP clips are posted here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/1956_-_Songs_for_Swingin_Lovers.html

Much more to follow, of course.

If you have any clips you'd like me to post, please let me know, and if you sent files my way back in 2009, I think I still have them all. :)

Some of these early pressings sound (to my ears) really, really nice.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have the "pink/orange" label which I guess is from around 1975 - I haven't listened to it for ages as I assumed it's (fairly lousy) fake stereo and I have a Grey late '50s mono copy which from memory is nice sounding.

14. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Matt did you already compare the MFSL vs the dry tracks of SFSL on the Capitol Years 3cd remastered by Larry Walsh?

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

MFSL knocked this one out of the park. :tiphat:

As I'd recently listened to some (nice) dubs of the album, I'm late to the revival, but I've got to join the choir. Best this album has sounded. :thumbsup:

Now...

"...It happened in Mon-ter-ey / A long time ago..." :whistle:

lukejosephchung and rangerjohn like this.
  16. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Nice to see this page back up! And, yes indeed, great clips.

17. Henley

Henley Forum Resident

Thats good to hear as I quite like the sounds quality of these songs on the Capitol Years, and rate them above the SFSL of Larry Walsh and the UK 21cd boxset.

I ordered the MFSL of SFSL last week, so I clearly have something to look forward to!

18. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

I'm excited to be around this time during the rebuild of Matt's pages. Thank you again Matt and all contributors for constructing a music website that beats them all!

Bob Belvedere and Simon A like this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's funny to see how many of the Ultra-Disc and MFSL Gold-Disc copies of this album are up for auction on ebay. They are no comparison to what we now have in this new SACD.

20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

As Matt and I discussed recently in another thread, the 1990 MFSL Ultra-Disc Gold CD (UDCD 538) has what appears to be substantial STEREO (not just mono) reverb added. Is that on the "Original Master" tape that was used for the 1983 MFSL LP?

21. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

In our Classifieds as well. Maybe some collectors want to own all the MFSL releases irrelevant of SQ.

22. MLutthans

Possibly, yes, but I'm not quite going that far.....yet. Need to really dig into that one. There is definitely some serious non-mono "junk" going on on that CD, though, whatever it may be!

Here's a rundown of the chat from the other thread:

23. MLutthans

Regarding those 15-track UK LPs pictured in posts 260 and 261:
    Ah, fake stereo. Thanks.

I see in those photos that the one-box and the rainbow pressings seem to bear the LCT prefix, which I think would indicate mono, with SLCT being stereo.

Anybody able to confirm? Anybody have one of those post-1962 LCT pressings?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I lived in Monterey for a couple of years in the early 80's and you're right, it did. Several times, I might add :love:

Bob Belvedere, apileocole and Simon A like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am playing my MOFI LP right now and summing it to mono does not change anything. There is a very light reverb that sounds mono. my guess is it was what was added by Capitol to the "master" that MFSL used. I sold the gold CD a while back so I can't compare.
    Ya know, this album sounds pretty good. It's warm and the reverb is not offensive. My old grey label D cut sounds better, however.
    I am still waiting on the SACD but it would be nice to compare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.