Vinyl Shops in Tokyo, Japan and Japan in General

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mikemoon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I'm also heading off to Japan at the end of May and am wondering if anyone knows the best way to secure concert tickets for shows that are on while I'm there. I'd like to prebook rather than hope there's still tix onsale when I arrive. Any help immensely appreciated.

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well the wife and I are on day 5 in Japan. We have been to Tokyo (2 nights), Hiroshima (1 night), Hagi (2 nights - currently). I haven't done any record shopping yet, I am saving it for our return to Tokyo. Next, we are going to do 3 nights in Kyoto and then the last 5 nights in Tokyo. I noticed a few stores while in Hiroshima but was too exhausted to venture out. I think it is best I save the cash and space for the Tokyo stores. Also, the wife will be in Hiroshima for 5 additional weeks so I can have her pick up a few if they are in the stores there for good prices.

I'm still trying to figure out which japanese lp pressings have a reputation for being great. I'm looking mainly for classic rock but jazz and others are in my scope as well. I'm looking to add quality versus quantity. In my head, I only plan to buy 5-10 lps top shelf lps. My budget in $500 or less.

On a more important note than just music, this has been an amazing trip. A kind forum member and Tokyo resident has given me some excellent advice, a wonderful tour of Tokyo and tons of detail of how to really experience Japan. We are only in the first third of our trip but this has already been the best trip my wife and I have ever taken. It has been a beautiful and unique journey and we look forward to the rest of that awaits us.

3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Japan is indeed a great country to visit

yasujiro likes this.
  4. mikemoon

So right now my Japan lp wish list is slim:

Dark Side of the Moon - Blue Odeon Triangle or Pro-Use
    Abbey Road - Pro-Use

Any other highly regarded Japan pressings I'm missing?

I'm also going to be in Kyoto for 3 days so I may see what is available in that scene.

5. mikemoon

A cool little video for Spoon's 'Don't You Evah'

yasujiro likes this.
  6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

Shinjuku is the place to go! The maps are no longer accurate, as the metal shop closest to the train station (Flags) has been moved 2 blocks north,
    to a much bigger space...also there's a Japan music store in the basement..really this 3 block area has the most condensed, greatest record stores on the planet,
    (all Disk Union)..if you go in one store you'll see maps for all the others...the only really small store is the main, 6 floor one, on the same street as the jazz store, the metal
    store, the soul / funk store..also you need to checkout the DU that is 2 blocks north of this street, across the major street and in an tall building, I think it's on the 5th floor,
    huge space..look for the disc union logo...

Stump, mikemoon, ganma and 1 other person like this.
  7. ganma

ganma Senior Member

The Second Hand Center — 3rd Floor. It's my first stop as it has everything in one place.

mikemoon likes this.
  8. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

My wife and I went a few years ago and it was an amazing experience. What an incredible city and country...

Macman and mikemoon like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The challenging part of looking for records or CDs in Tokyo, is they are all alphabetized by the Japanese letters which are phonetic equivalents to the first letter in the artist's name (and most often, but not always, it is filed based on their first name rather than their last). So Funkadelic will often be filed fairly close to Phil Everly (both start with the F sound) but nowhere near The Gap Band (which could be filed under either the japanese phonetic equivalent either of a hard G or of a "Th" depending on the propprietor's whim).

Made a "find" that much more rewarding - but don't count on dropping into a store for a few minutes to check what they have by your favorite artists.

At least this was the case when I was there 13 years ago. Still managed to pick up a bunch of rare funk releases.

mikemoon likes this.
  10. mikemoon

Oh my, a store just or soul and funk. I might be in trouble.

11. mikemoon

Well, we will be arriving back in Tokyo today staying there for 5 nights. We will be in the Shibuya/Shinjuku area so we should be in close proximity to few shops. Right now, I'm not sure if I'm evening buying a lot but I guess we will see once my senses get stimulated. My lookout list right now is:

1. John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People CD (Japan release with Of Before bonus track)
    2. Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon - Blue Odeon Triangle Vinyl or Pro-Use
    3. Beatles - Abbey Road - Pro-Use
    4. Nick Cave & The Band Seeds - Any title pretty much

12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Maybe we will meet there. :shtiphat:

mikemoon likes this.
  13. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Enjoying this thread. I am headed to Tokyo for the first on business March 20th. Tokyo, Taipei and Shanghai.

mikemoon likes this.
  14. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

you should also go to Recofan in Shibuya, lots of vinyl (right across from the small Disk Union)

ganma and mikemoon like this.
  15. mikemoon

Maybe so, we just arrived in Shinjuku from Kyoto this afternoon. We are going to try to get our bearings in with what's around us this evening. I may do some record shopping tomorrow!

16. mikemoon

I will try to check that one out as well!

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Post up some pics of the record stores you visit!

18. mikemoon

As far as the King and Toshiba reissues, you have a couple of titles you'd recommend that aren't available from MM or AP?

19. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

In the way of your possibilities, please post some pictures...

mikemoon likes this.
  20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Mike, I love this one quite madly as well - no one talks about it on here, but I think it is the absolute top of the heap for Sticky Fingers - there are different versions, of course, but the one from the late 70's is key (you can't miss that green obi!):

[​IMG]

Clanceman likes this.
  21. mikemoon

Well I stopped in a Disk Union store (60s-70s Rock) briefly yesterday evening. There was some really nice and rare items and more UK desired pressings than I ever expected. Most of the one's I desired were priced pretty high.

All the lps were sealed and the grading was written on the outside. Most lps ranged from VG to NM. I know someone mentioned that they grade conservatively so I wonder if the VG graded ones are enjoyable. Typically, I avoid this grade online because it is way too noisy. I wish I could at least open and inspect visually.

I didn't buy anything last night. I'm going back out today to see if I can find anything. My goal is to be picky and not overspend but I do hope to find a few gems.

22. mikemoon

I will certainly try. I have a small Canon S95 and I will try to be discreet. I don't want to disrespect the owners, etc. I took some exterior photos last night.

This is exactly what I'm looking for and I will add it to my list!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    innercircle likes this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

All of the ones I have heard from King sound great. Toshiba is a bit more hit or miss. I would seek out any Blue Note you really enjoy on King if you can find it.

Some I like- Amazing Bud Powell Vol 3, Wayne Shorter Schizophrenia (only recommended if you are into avant-garde/free fusion), Tony Williams Life Time, Cecil Taylor Unit Structures (another free jazz album), Don Cherry Symphony For Improvisers (also free jazz).

Here is the King discography: http://microgroove.jp/bluenote-jpn/1977-1983.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    mikemoon likes this.
  24. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

When you say pricey just out of curiosity what are they going for in there? Enjoy your trip,hope you find a copy of Abbey Road.

mikemoon likes this.
  25. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Great thread, we are going to go to Tokyo for three months in July. Please keep sharing what you see and any tips on best places to go. Very good info so far!

mikemoon likes this.