Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #54)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

I've also wondered, why LSO Live is so unsystematic. Perhaps they haven't been pleased with the quality of some recordings? Who knows, I don't. Very odd.
    That listing doesn't seem to be complete. It's after all a 8+4 disc collection.

They have quite a nice series of Sir Colin's work: http://lso.co.uk/sir-colin-davis-recordings

My first thought was that finally they put together the works of Elgar, Nielsen and Sibelius. No such luck, I'm afraid.

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I recently received this

[​IMG]

I believe that I got the last copy from mdt.

Also I got this

[​IMG]

and this

[​IMG]

3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Recent listening:

Claude Debussy – La bolte a joujoux (ballet enfantin, orch. Caplet), Petite suite
    Maurice Ravel – Pavane pour une infant defunte, Valses nobles et sentimentales, Alborada del gracioso
    — L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande — Ernest Ansermet (Decca)

[​IMG]

Luigi Boccherini – Symphony in C min. Op.41, Overture Op.43
    Franz Schubert – Symphony No.8 D759 "Unfinished"
    — Philharmonia Orchestra
    Carlo Maria Giulini (EMI / Warner Classics)

[​IMG]

4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Given that Les Troyens is a long opera, the track listing for the Colin Davis box looks full enough. LSO Live is not obligated to cram 80 minutes of music on each disc. LSO Live is also not a standard record company so their ideas about issues are not likely to track those from the major labels with their marketing surveys. It's great that the orchestras have enough presence of mind to market SACDs in the first place.

5. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

The only LSO live I have is the Berlioz, Colin Davis, box from about 10 years ago. I would recommend this if only for the opera discs they are special.

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Playing George Crumb now, Music for a Summer Evening, Makrokosmos 111 for two amplified pianos and percussion beautifully recorded by the Aubort/Nickrenz team at Nonesuch, cut by Bob Ludwig in 1975.
    The dynamic range is vast and the music mesmerizing.

Stone Turntable, Robin L and Mr Bass like this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Sibelius Symphony No 2 - John Barbirolli with the RPO, this is on Chesky and is amazing, recording and performance.
    Had a session with Nina Simone previous, it was exhausting, Sibelius was the perfect antidote.

Robin L likes this.
  8. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Hi, can anyone tell me if either of these early Japanese Glenn Gould CDs have preemphasis: 38DC35 Bach Goldberg Variations, & 35DC105 Beethoven Piano Sonatas No.12 & 13?

EAC says no pre-emphasis for both but I've read that 38DC35 might have preemphasis.

thanks in advance.

9. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Vaughan Williams. Symphony 9/ Fantasia on the old 104th. Boult, LPO. UK EMI

I am not a big fan of VW's symphonies except for the 4th but the 9th does have enough interesting aspects to get me to play it once in a while. This has the best sonics although the Previn is as well performed. Unfortunately the live performance by Stokowski from the US premiere (1958) is only available on CD (with somewhat dodgy sound) because it blows them both away.

vw9.JPG

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  10. mungga

mungga Member

Can anyone recommend the best sounding 'O Fortuna' on cd? Thanks.

11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

011.JPG
    I was unfamiliar with Cadman (1881-1946). This is rather conservative late-romantic music, composed 1909-1937. Very well-done;
    the slow movements are especially good listening. Fine sound from engineer Peter McGrath. Recorded in Miami, Jan. 2000.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

005.JPG
    Bridge is probably best known as the teacher of Benjamin Britten. These quartets, from 1906 & 1926, are impressive.
    Recorded in England, 2002.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I got my old VPI 16 running again, the old Record Cleaning machine I've been dragging around since 1989. With the motherload of Thriftstore LP hauls the last month having a functioning RCM is a massive boon. This morning I played most of the Seraphim LP reissue of highlights from the Furtwängler/Philharmonia/Flagstad Tristan und Isolde. Really getting back into old, old LPs.

PH416156 and Mr Bass like this.
  14. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Anyone??

15. Mr Bass

16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

17. Mr Bass

Well then believe Yasujiro. What kind of equalization did the original LPs have?? I mean apart from RIAA. Nothing is pure. If these are still the best sounding CDs available it doesn't say much for digital progress but it is what it is. And incidentally, DSD uses "noise shaping" processes to shift quantization errors to the inaudible frequency zone

From hydrogen audio : Some early digital recording & playback equipment, including CD players, used 14-bit converters, even though they were dealing with 16-bit audio. Some also used noisy "brick wall" filters to remove frequencies higher than the Nyquist frequency (22050 Hz). The resulting noise introduced by these converters and filters could be made relatively quiet by using pre-emphasis: boosting the signal (especially the higher frequencies) in the recording before it was put onto CD, and embedding flags in the disc's subcode to tell a CD player to apply de-emphasis on playback. By the late 1980s, pre-emphasis stopped being used because reliable 16-bit DACs with oversampling and other technologies minimized the conversion & filtering noise without the need for pre-processing the recording.

Most major-label CDs with pre-emphasis were manufactured in Japan in the early and mid-1980s. Relatively recent forum posts indicate that pre-emphasis is still used on newly manufactured CDs by some indie labels, mainly for classical titles.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  18. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

J S Bach. French Suites. Blandine Verlet. Phi Holland.

FrenchSuitesVeFrenchSuitesVerlet.jpg

Robin L likes this.
  19. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Indeed, I just ignored it. It's the 4 cd's in the box. -- I lost my interest into the box. It's the certain individual SACD's that I'm going to get at proper time. Few I already have, I guess.

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Would like to have 100% confirmation.

21. Mr Bass

Now Listening To

Bruckner. Symphony 5. Maazel, VPO. Decca UK

An excellent performance and recording. Not sure why Penguin Gude sniffed at it outside of general allegiance to Klemperer.

bruckner5maazel.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade, beecham with the RPO this must be one of the greatest recordings I own, I have a first label White and Gold EMI,and prefer it to the Reiner CSO its self very special.

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

You really expect people to be dumping their CD's in favor of hi-res downloads?

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I probably have most of the CD's in this set but am definitely interested in his RCA set ...

25. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.