Audio Note TT2 Deluxe turntable with outboard power supply and IQ 3 cart MM.. Sounds sweet so far..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Warren Jarrett from Audio Note brought me over an Audio Note TT2 Deluxe turntable with special outboard power supply and two motors to try out for 1/2 year. Has a wonderful sounding IQ 3 cart MM cart.

It looks like this but different woods are offered. Sounds sweet out of the box. I want to do more turntable reviews and this will be the first of many (hopefully). audio note two.jpg audio note three.jpg

Has anyone else heard this table? Hopefully by the end of the year I can do some comparisons for you of the major turntables in a reasonable price range.

Attached Files:

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Is that a sprung suspension?

3. Steve Hoffman

4. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

I have one while I am waiting for my AN 0.5 Ref. I like it a lot.

5. Steve Hoffman

What do you use for a MM phono stage?

6. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

The MM phono is a AN M8 phono.

vinyl anachronist likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Ah, I see, thanks!

8. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The M8 is off the hook, I heard it fronting the Classé CT-2300 into Harbeth M40.1s several times. Probably one of the best systems I've ever heard.
    Also demoed my Harbeth P3s (before buying them!) at Soundhounds with an AN TT2 and the IQ3 cartridge – fantastic sound. Great realism and breadth to the soundstage, I found it incredibly accurate and quite uncoloured.

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Great decks. Essentially they took the old Systemdek and updated the design. The latter 'deks and the first Audio Note TT1 are just about the same turntable I think. The earlier Systemdek has a teardrop shape armboard. That's predated by the affectionately remembered biscuit tin!

Lovely deck though Steve. Many happy hours ahead with that one.

Steve Hoffman and wgriel like this.
  10. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

Roughly what price range will you be comparing?

11. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I have a recent model TT 1 with an IQ2 cart and really love it. The TT 2 is an incredible turntable but was a bit out of my reach.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Around 1-7k or so, I guess. Not sure yet.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Cool! I've been mulling over buying a new TT and might be looking to buy one by the end of the year. But I'm not sure if I can hold out that long so maybe by the end of the summer .... :)

My price range is probably 1 - 2K plus cartridge. If I had a super-duper record collection that would probably increase but I don't. :(

14. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Awesome, underrated TT. It's really a major step above the TT1 and TT2 (which are decent enough turntables, but not potential class leaders like the TT2 Deluxe is). I've heard it a few times and seriously considered getting one--especially one with a really exotic wood finish--but Audio Note dealers were few and far between at the time.

kfringe likes this.
  15. vinyl anachronist

I think the TT2 Deluxe is closer to $5000-$6000, depending on options, but the TT-1 is in your ballpark--I think it's $2K or so to start.

Cyclone Ranger, CarterB and Gary like this.
  16. action pact

I predict that your record collection will increase/improve once you have an exceptional turntable. :agree:

donkaz, timztunz, Ortofun and 2 others like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

It usually works that way. The table can really inspire you. When I got the vintage Denon last month I just wanted to play more vinyl, same with this Audio Note. I wake up and grab a pile of records. It's fun and satisfying. All about the music.

Dmann201, Mad shadows, nitsuj and 3 others like this.
  18. vinyl anachronist

Yup, you pretty much nailed it. Audio Note has a history of taking a solid design, such as when they turned the modest Snell E, K & J speakers into the impressive and expensive AN/E, AN/K and AN/J speakers, and taking it to its ultimate expression. They did that with the Systemdek--they started off with a slightly modified design of a solid yet affordable 'table and kept improving it until it started brushing up against the super 'tables. When they couldn't get more out of the 'table, they came up with the TT-3 which is a very different design. (I think they worked with Origin Live on the TT-3, but I'm not positive. There is a resemblance between the top-of-the-line OL tables and the TT-3.)

That said, the TT2 Deluxe is pretty much the sweet spot in the line. The TT-3 is spectacular but expensive, while the TT-2 Deluxe offers surprising performance for a relatively modest cost.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  19. action pact

"Fun and satisfying"... Yes indeed!

20. Brother_Rael

As a point of interest, the Dunlop brothers, who came up with the aforesaid Systemdek, are the driving force behind Art speakers. Still very much in the audio game and, I'm delighted to say, still operating from Scotland too.

http://www.loudspeaker-art.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-56

Edit: apologies for the diversion, thought some might be interested in that little tidbit!

21. vinyl anachronist

22. Steve Hoffman

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  23. Brother_Rael

Nice shot, very nice deck.

24. Steve Hoffman

It's a good sounding machine, no question. It sounds the best with no mat whatsoever.

For those who care, I'm using this with my Convergent Audio Technologies CAT SL-1 Ultimate.

Tube compliment?

Line stage: Synergy/Create Audio version of EH 6922 Gold Pin, Telefunken ECC83 Ribbed plates.

Phono stage: Amperex 7308, Telefunken ECC83 Smooth plates.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  25. action pact

Stanton56 and sushimaster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.