Ryan Adams - Love is Hell MFSL vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PBo, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I am finally listening to mine, and holy cow this is magnificent. Clear, quiet, and beautiful. I don't have the original issue, but from memory I prefer this to the CD. It is just beautiful. And since my main turntable is out of commission for the moment, I am listening to it on a P-Mount turntable with a lower end Grado, and it is still wonderful.

2. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

It really makes me want MoFi to do the rest of his LH catalog.

this sounds so great.

hvbias and fly4x4 like this.
  3. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Could well be right there. It's probably just an edit from the LIH version. I like the flow of the version on LIH that I've heard. Either way too very good albums. Let's be thankful we got both in the long run!

4. fly4x4

fly4x4 Forum Resident

I was able to listen to mine once through so far this past Friday and I must say it sounds wonderful. This is a great set and very well done by MoFi/MFSL and I cant wait to give it another listen one evening this week.

mikeyt likes this.
  5. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Yes, the Grundman reissue from 2008. I would like to know how the UK stacks up. I believe mastered by Doug Sax.

hvbias likes this.
  6. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Quote from MOFI Facebook page "As far as the sourcing for Love is Hell goes; The entire original main album (tracks 1-16) were mastered from original masters. Some of the bonus material including songs released in other countries, originally were mastered from the best sources that could be authenticated."

Hope this is helpful.

7. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I would have prefered no bonus tracks and had it be 180gram 45rpm instead, just my 2 cents.

8. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I agree! Sounds nice. Yeah it's pricey but reasonable compared to original. Plus you get the quality of a MoFi release.

Paully and Jack like this.
  9. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Got my copy too, it sounds great!

10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I bet this will be oop sooner than later.

11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Whatever the source this sounds awesome. Get it. Time to Ebay my original double EP. Some tracks were better recorded than others so you will here some variance, but in general most excellent.

johnnypaddock, PBo, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  12. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Stop tempting me lol! OOP is my personal USP!!! ;)

RelayerNJ likes this.
  13. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I may have to pick this one up soon.

14. UncleHalsey

UncleHalsey Forum Resident

Sounds sooo good, much better than my original 2EP sounds.

15. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Anyone else notice vocal distortion on the track " Love is Hell? " especially when he yells. I've played 2 boxes pressed 1000 apart with same issue.

16. HHR18

HHR18 Forum Resident

The distortion you're talking about is also present on the CD and original vinyl release so I guess it's distortion (might even be intentional) from the mixing process.

AtlTrav likes this.
  17. HHR18

HHR18 Forum Resident

I too noticed the different solo on Shadowlands. It sounds like he's trying out some stuff on a different guitar. I like the original better. I think it's the guitar solo originally used on the EP releases and was later overdubbed when the record was released as a full album. Will give the separate EP CD releases a listen to confirm.

EDIT: the solo on the EP CD release is the same one as used on the original vinyl release and the CD release so I do not have a clue where this solo came from...

mikeyt likes this.
  18. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

Maybe so. I listened to the cd and didn't hear very much but maybe it was softened in that mix. I also thinking my system isn't up to par for the loudness of the cut, like the stylus can't track it properly.

19. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

I'm still waitin'

20. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

Im actually relieved to hear Im not the only one with this issue, I was beginning to suspect maybe my turntable setup was somehow the culprit. Other than this though the new LPs sounds fantastic.

AtlTrav likes this.
  21. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Mine is no. 1682

22. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

What's the significance of the Silver Label? How's it different from a regular Mofi release?

23. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Not made from the master tape.

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I got this today :pineapple: .....first impressions is a very nice boxset but also expensive! Its one of my favourite albums so figured if i didnt bite soon then i may lose the chance to own this as it wont be around forever.

Anyway, ill give it a spin hopefully later and report back!

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just when I got used to the fact that I'm NOT buying two different vinyl editions of "Love Is Hell" I got a terrific deal on a fleamarket where a guy sold the MFSL version for 28€. Not sealed but what the heck. I couldn't get the money out fast enough;) Looks very, very nice, the fact that this - initially - unloved Ryan album is now his only one that has gotten the lavish deluxe treatment is somewhat hilarius. Can we please have a six disc box set of "Rock N Roll" next???

Now I only need the time to play and compare it to the Lost Highway original. Does anybody round here actually believe that that was cut from analogue tapes?

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.